Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd June 2010, 12:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
@Rajat -> In option 1, the 400 Rs labour charges -> are those for both removing AND fixing the carpet? What I don't understand is the 600 Rs for carpet drying and cleaning. The carpet just needs to be dried (preferably in the shade) and it should be fine. I genuinely doubt if the carpet needs to be cleaned in this case (unless it was already having dirt). Not sure if they mean to dry the carpet using a hot air dryer or something.
Have not experienced wet vacuums yet, so can not comment on that option.
Thanks SDP for the only constructive suggestion so far, 400 is for removing and putting it back. 600 is the entire interior cleaning charges they take, so the carpet would be removed, washed and dried in the open sun or blow dried in case of no sun (cloudy days here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Half of the car went under water and your only concern is how to get the carpet dry.
What you did was not a good thing to the car, that too after seeing a car in front of you almost immersed in water.
So what should I do then, get drunk and roam on the streets shouting "mujhse galti ho gayi, bhagwaan mujhe maaf kar do" (God forgive me for this sin!), or shall I just leave the carpets wet not dry them so they keep reminding me of the mistake I did.

The car is running fine, there was no water in the engine oil, no water in the air filter, accelerating as usual, no abnormalities,

Like I said earlier, the realisation was only when I was almost midway, what should have I done, stopped the car, put it in reverse and go back in a frenzy, or the water level might be a bit exaggerated because of panic and adrenalin rush, because the turbo/intercooler is quite low, any water near the intercooler would have been sucked into the engine resulting the engine to stop which didnt happen, may be the water splashing made it look as if it was till the rear windscreen of i20.
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
The next moment I was in the same situation. I could feel all the four wheels of the car not in contact with the road and the steering suddenly went "free", somehow I managed to steer the car from getting banged by the I20. Then as the front wheels touched some road, things were pretty in control, and I could notice steam coming out of the bonnet (it was actually water that might have touched the exhaust pipe area). Brakes too were almost dead for quite a few seconds.
Sounds scary to me; but that was one hell of an experience in life I guess. Thank God all of you including the car was safe enough to get away with the flooding. I hope you'd your car checked at M.A.S.S & there're no further complications. Once again, that should be one of the scariest memorable moment in life to you.

I once got slipped on a wet tarmac (NH46) on a heavy rain & somehow I was able to bring back my car under control without hitting the median. Ever since then I know the power of water & I play very very safe. Trust me that was one hell of learning experience for me.

Quote:
Half of the car went under water and your only concern is how to get the carpet dry. I don't know whether to laugh or
+1; I'd the same running into my mind too
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what should I do then, get drunk and roam on the streets shouting "mujhse galti ho gayi, bhagwaan mujhe maaf kar do" (God forgive me for this sin!), or shall I just leave the carpets wet not dry them so they keep reminding me of the mistake I did.

The car is running fine, there was no water in the engine oil, no water in the air filter, accelerating as usual, no abnormalities,

Like I said earlier, the realisation was only when I was almost midway, what should have I done, stopped the car, put it in reverse and go back in a frenzy, or the water level might be a bit exaggerated because of panic and adrenalin rush, because the turbo/intercooler is quite low, any water near the intercooler would have been sucked into the engine resulting the engine to stop which didnt happen, may be the water splashing made it look as if it was till the rear windscreen of i20.
As you said the car is running fine, you 're lucky.

Your first post sounded like you are only concerned about carpet and nothing related to engine - that made me write that

On a lighter note, your inter cooler might have become wet and for sometime, your turbo's efficiency might have increased due to its effective cooling of the compressed air inside (Like the EvOs have water sprays on the outside of inter coolers that can be activated by the driver)
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:25   #34
BHPian

Thanks for all the comments guys...I appreciate your concern BUT, I am still waiting for an advice/suggestion about what should I do the wet carpet, Please read my options and help me choose
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I was almost following the I20 and only realised when I was almost midway. Plus the people on two wheelers were crossing it normally, so I thought if two wheels can do it, my car is far more heavy and powerful so can manage it as well.

How is it possible for 2 wheelers to negotiate water which is upto i10s rear window level !! which part is the exaggeration ??
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:47   #36
BHPian

The same day I encountered the similar situation but at another part of the city. I could not able to manage well when my car was hit by a sudden wave of water (courtesy city bus on the opposite lane) and the car stopped in the middle of the water. I tried a lot to start the car but my exaust was in water and the car did not started for sometime. By luck the water level got reduced in few minutes and I could able to bring my car out of that pool. But my colleagues(obviously ladies) got terrified with this. And for me I took an oath internally not to experiment these again with women on board.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd June 2010 at 14:07. Reason: Please do not use more than 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
rnidumolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:00   #37
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys just came back from M.A.S.S, following are the options available -

Option 1
Carpet Drying, Cleaning - 600
Labor Charges - 400
TOTAL - 1000
Option 2
New Carpet - 1450
Labor Charges - 400
TOTAL - 1850
My suggestion is go with Option 1. Since it is rainwater sipping through door beadings, you can dry it yourself without paying the 600 Rs for professional drying and cleaning. If it would have been really dirty water or mud, professsional cleaning could make sense.
I have done the drying myself (in fact professional washing and drying was not even offered as an option) and there is no smell (as against what the SA is suggesting).
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:05   #38
BHPian

I had a similar experience with my ALTO VX 1.1 in Chennai about 5 years back. I had the carpets removed and dried it out on the roof top of my house. After couple of days, had it laid again.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments guys...I appreciate your concern BUT, I am still waiting for an advice/suggestion about what should I do the wet carpet, Please read my options and help me choose
If it is just mildly wet carpet,

I'd start the car, turn on the AC, turn the temp knob to maximum heat, roll up all the windows, and keep the car doors shut for about 20 minutes, preferably after a run, parking the car in some hot area.

How it works: AC dehumidifies the air, and with heater turned to maximum heat, it is just hot dry air which would easily absorb all the moisture from wet seats and carpets - you can see water dripping through the ac's drain pipe down below your bonnet.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd June 2010 at 14:27.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:35   #40
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Seems like your car became a boat (when you said that you couldn't feel the road under all the 4 wheels)!
Sometimes we are at cross roads thinking whether to go ahead or not. And the uncharitable line up of drivers behind us don't give us the time and luxury to think and decide.
Anyway, thank heavens that you and your car are safe and you are looking at bills of around 1000 to 2000.
On posterity, one can only laugh thinking, what exactly was I trying to do!
All the best with your carpet work.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:41   #41
BHPian

During office lunch hours I managed to open some side panels and removed the carpet from the front foot-well area, the sight was ok, but as I lifted the carpet, a blast of stink filled my nostrils. It was something which we smell when the municipal corporation clears the silts from the drain. Another thing is that the front foot-well area has insulation material right under the where we keep the feet, which I think is absent in petrol cars since they do not have much vibration,

My confusion is that I have to put in Rs.600 (another M.A.S.S is offering carpet removal and fitment in 600 bucks, its only that if I need the car immediately I would have to take the carpet with me which they will fit once I take it back to them) for sure, in case the smell doesn't go and if I have to go for carpet replacement, then these Rs.600 would be a waste
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:46   #42
BHPian

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate your kind words, if only people on the road and here were like you, be patient and provide some valuable damage control feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Seems like your car became a boat (when you said that you couldn't feel the road under all the 4 wheels)!
Sometimes we are at cross roads thinking whether to go ahead or not. And the uncharitable line up of drivers behind us don't give us the time and luxury to think and decide.
Anyway, thank heavens that you and your car are safe and you are looking at bills of around 1000 to 2000.
On posterity, one can only laugh thinking, what exactly was I trying to do!
All the best with your carpet work.
Thanks clevermax, this is what I was talking about..thanks for responding,

The carpet is wet but the insulation below is soaked wet, if I squeeze the insulation, water just oozes out, I guess I should take a video of problem and post (provided I have time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If it is just mildly wet carpet,

I'd start the car, turn on the AC, turn the temp knob to maximum heat, roll up all the windows, and keep the car doors shut for about 20 minutes, preferably after a run, parking the car in some hot area.

How it works: AC dehumidifies the air, and with heater turned to maximum heat, it is just hot dry air which would easily absorb all the moisture from wet seats and carpets - you can see water dripping through the ac's drain pipe down below your bonnet.

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 22nd June 2010 at 14:59.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:24   #43
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Try getting silica gel which will absorb moisture post all the cloth drying/ vacuum drying. There should be some carpet sprays available. Start with that.
I wouldn't mind spending a couple of thousands to get the carpet replaced completely if the smell still doesn't go.
Keep the window's open (even the doors open) over the weekend on a nice dry sunny place for long hours. Nothing dries like sun!
The more you seal the car, the longer the stench stays.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:54   #44
BHPian

Get the carpets cleaned/dried at the place that charges you the LEAST.
Also ask them to get the seats out and clean up that area also (for a few extra bucks).

The money that you save - spend it on ANTI RUST COATING, preferably from a brand like 3M.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:41   #45
BHPian

hi , just get a proper vaccum done with a session of blow drying and if you have covered parking , open all windows and let is dry for couple of days after vaccuming ,your car should be fine in a week's time . However get the vaccuming done from a good place , if the carpets not dried properly may damage the underbody leading to rust in the longer run.
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote