Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th June 2010, 12:53   #16
BHPian

But some one will have to come forward some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

collect them in one place and SET THEM ON FIRE.
Any execution plans?

June 22nd; Auto Rikshaw Strike, Rain And My Thoughts-getimage.jpg
Source: TOI
prateek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 14:03   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The classic example is in Pune where it was announced with much fanfare and is now reduced to hawkers occupying the lane.
Come and see the cycle lanes on the pune - solapur road near hadapsar (between krome and magarpatta corner).
You'll see bikers, tata indica cabs, why even taveras on them in wrong side too. While the cyclists gloriously cycles in the middle of the road.
Not to mention the BRT lanes. Some months back I used to see police stopping other vehicles on the BRT lane and fining them. Seems now even they don't bother.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 15:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post

How do we reduce number of autos on road on permanent basis?
A better question would be, how do we reduce the number of cars on the road on a permanent basis?

Autos provide a transportation option for the common, cars are only for a chosen few. If you consider the greater good, autos > cars.
jaganm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 15:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
A better question would be, how do we reduce the number of cars on the road on a permanent basis?

Autos provide a transportation option for the common, cars are only for a chosen few. If you consider the greater good, autos > cars.
You mean how do we reduce the India's car ownership from 12 cars per 1,000 people to (lets say) 11 per 1000?

I would rather stick to my opinion on development of efficient mass transport system.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Okay. Here are some facts from Mumbai RTO website.

Link: Mumbai Traffic Police

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  47.0 KB

I am a little surprised.

I am not sure if BEST figures include Thane and New Mumbai figures. Even with another 2,500 numbers, the ratio would not be more than 0.5

Of course, we need to consider Mumbai Local as well.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
You want to reduce autos on the road ? there is only one solution -

Get a ban on more additions - if not possible then collect them in one place and SET THEM ON FIRE.
Quote:
I don't think anything is going to happen in the future - only thing confirmed is that traffic will get more unruly and dense - govt will sit back and watch since their pockets will be filled up and the common man will suffer.
Well said Gautam!

You have spoken my words. Yes!, we are really fed up of these Autos (so called - cockroaches) in Mumbai suburbs and what a wonderful day it was when they were off the roads and traffic moved in a disciplined manner. There was so much less chaos, fewer accidents, practically no jams, no paan stink and a peaceful day for travel.

And now the govt is sanctioning a lot of unwanted Skywalks and Paver blocks for all the city roads, which only helps to slow down traffic and fill up their empty coffers.

Salaam MOOOM BAI!
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

There is no Auto menace in the Western line. Only Taxis are allowed to ply, right ? So why don't we have the same in Central also, phase by phase ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 08:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
There is no Auto menace in the Western line. Only Taxis are allowed to ply, right ? So why don't we have the same in Central also, phase by phase ?
Who says there is no Auto menance in Western suburbs. Auto themselves are a menace, so whererver they stand they are menace. Taxis are not allowed beyong Bandra on western and Sion on Central. But there can be seen some taxis who ply from Borivali to Vashi, criss crossing entire Mumbai.
Even if the service provided by either Rick or Taxis would have been 50% OK then also no issues, people would manage it. But holding the entire city to ransom by going on flash strikes is absolutely unaccepatable. Boththe administration (read BMC) and poilitical system are hand in glove with these unions and they decide what the aam aadmi should pay rather than the other way round.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 09:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You want to reduce autos on the road ? there is only one solution -

Get a ban on more additions - if not possible then collect them in one place and SET THEM ON FIRE.
Then its equally important to mete out the same treatment to private vehicles!!

1 person in a 4 wheeler is a sheer waste of space anyways!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:29   #25
BHPian

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  47.0 KB

OK guys. Let me divert the topic a bit from rikshaw/ taxi bashing.

Refer the above chart and please share your views.

Even if we do not consider people travelling by local, its fine, as the ratio of availability of different class of vehicles will remain same. The train commuter will have to reach office/ work place from the station. Invariably, he will use some mode available on road.

Why not a sound public transport system, the way we plan.

In Mumbai, we have 38 cars per 1000 people as against 52 rikshaw and taxi per 1000 people as against only <0.5 buses (including Thane and New Mumbai).

It is pretty obvious that we have a problem in hand.

23 heavy vehicles!!! Means we have one heavy vehicle for two cars on the road.

Now that's quite a bit. Why can't we have a fixed timing for heavy vehicles to ply only between 10 PM to 7 AM?

From my experience, majority of the traffic jams on WEH occur because of heavy vehicles breaking down while climbing the flyovers.

Old 25th June 2010, 23:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
In Bangalore too an Auto strike is clearly evident on the spacious roads therafter. It is a blessing and reduces some road stress automatically. Whenever there is a news of an autostrike in Bangalore I have a broad smile on my face. There is a demand for autos and hence they are on the roads. Once people start taking mass public transport and if it is available till every nook and corner of the city we will have less of ricks and more of buses. And we know what happens if a bus breaks down on the middle of the road and how responsibly they behave after a breakdown. Some twigs hanging here and there and thats it. Apart from that if the rick guys find money in anything else besides auto, they will not be on the road.
It'll be interesting to see how the situation changes once the metro system becomes operational. Hopefully, more people would use the train service, and hence reduce the number of functional autos thereby making a big difference to the traffic situation.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 23:49   #27

My 2 cents - Why pick on the autorickshaws alone. The fact is that our roads are over-crowded (not to mention the City/Country is over-populated). There should be a system of having a ban based the licence plate numbering. For example, licence plates ending in odd numbers should not be allowed to ply on the roads on certain days of the week. Or we could have certain mix and match like no odd numbers beyond Mahim on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Like wise no even numbers beyond Mahim on Mondays and Wednesdays. And this ban should be for all vehicles, be it autorickshaws, taxis, personal vehicles, 2/4/6 wheelers et al.
I see the following benefits:
1. This would ease the over all congession on the raods and make one get from A to B in a faster and efficient manner
2. Encourage (forcibily though) car pooling / auto pooling
3. Encourage use of Public Transport

I hope I am making some sense, sometimes !!
Speedster123 is offline   Reply With Quote