Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th July 2010, 09:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Angry

Personally I prefer two seperate lines for 2 wheelers - one for bikes and one for the scooters. Unlike the space for 4 wheelers, the 2 wheelers often squeeze into small spaces and this leads to mismanaged refueling. The onus of restoring the order lies on the petrol pump dealer and if he is efficient and strict , then things are under control and 2 wheelers refuel without any fuss.
The other thing which is irritating is the insufficient & dedicated space for heavy vehicle refueling which leads to line up of vehicle refueling esp for Diesel.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 10:45   #32
Team-BHP Support

What is the ideal amount to give to the guy who fills air in the tires?

I generally give 5 bucks but if the guy is old then a little more.
How do the guys share this money, or is the air filler not paid a salary and this is all he gets.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 11:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

How do the guys share this money, or is the air filler not paid a salary and this is all he gets.
Two wheelers 5
Four wheelers 10

I usually do not get the air pressure checked outside because the tire heats up considerably on the way, i have a (foot)air-pump at home.

Generally fill fuel late in the night ~10pm, so usually no queues.

*haven't upped the wheels as haven't driven/ridden anything more than 4.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 11:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Personally I prefer two seperate lines for 2 wheelers - one for bikes and one for the scooters. Unlike the space for 4 wheelers, the 2 wheelers often squeeze into small spaces and this leads to mismanaged refueling. The onus of restoring the order lies on the petrol pump dealer and if he is efficient and strict , then things are under control and 2 wheelers refuel without any fuss.
The other thing which is irritating is the insufficient & dedicated space for heavy vehicle refueling which leads to line up of vehicle refueling esp for Diesel.
Though i agree to this, still i feel bad thinking that people have lost all their common sense and have to be "restored to order" by others. Decency has lost its meaning.
D-nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 12:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm sure you also know that people are asked to switch off & get down from their motorcycle when refilling the fuel. Though little inconvenient, I really like that concept.
Why do they ask us to get down from the motorcycle for refilling the fuel ? I actually prefer to keep sitting on the bike, it is easier to balance it while sitting.

If they insist on getting down from the bike, they should also insist on putting it on the center stand for refilling the fuel. Otherwise it is actually very inconvenient to balance the bike in a standing position during refilling.

Quote:

I give 2 bucks for 2-wheeler and 4-5 bucks for 4-wheeler.

Actually, air is supposed to be free. There should be no need to pay the attendant, they receive salary from the bunk.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 16:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why do they ask us to get down from the motorcycle for refilling the fuel ? I actually prefer to keep sitting on the bike, it is easier to balance it while sitting.
Why would someone keep sitting/balancing, when they can get off?

Quote:
If they insist on getting down from the bike, they should also insist on putting it on the center stand for refilling the fuel. Otherwise it is actually very inconvenient to balance the bike in a standing position during refilling.
Sir, in case the fuel is filled way too much and spills or due to some carelessness from the part of vendor, the fuel spills, you know which place shall it soothe more/first?

^would advise you to get off from the Motorcycle when fuel is filled, it hardly matters whether you are on main-stand or side-stand.
^^My Motorcycle doesn't have a main stand.

Quote:
Actually, air is supposed to be free. There should be no need to pay the attendant, they receive salary from the bunk.
Tip.
Rs.5 hardly matters to us and it brings a smile to someone's face.

^I don't practice it as i have my own foot-pump.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 20:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Most bunks here I have seen in BLR now have seperate lines / pumps for 2 & 4 wheelers. And 4 wheelers just have to come in sequence. Just that Shell does it in a much better way.

The attendent filling the air does get his salary. For 4 wheelers, I pay upto 5, depending on how much change I have in hand.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 23:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they're not paid by the petrol pump owners, we would've heard news such as "Biker gets assualted for not paying for pumping air" (read paying as paying not tipping) & people would demand for tip.

PS - I don't tip
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 01:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Not much to add except an observation that most of you guys from Bangalore are reporting 2 wheelers cutting in. It seems there are no separate vending machines for 2 and 4 wheelers at the bunks there unlike Delhi and Bombay.

Here the vending machines are clearly marked for 2 wheelers which are the inner most, 4 wheelers have the middle ones with the petrols inwards and diesels being outwards and then a lone set selling only diesel being the closest to the road meant for CVs. This is a very uniform pattern in Delhi. Bombay is similar except that I have seen CVs share the diesel vends with cars, probably on account of limited size of the bunks. Delhi bunks are largish so the CV vends are easily isolated.

Honking from behind however seems to be a phenomenon common to all cities.

EDIT Condor's post mentions separate pumps for 2 & 4 wheeler even in B'lore then why do they cut in ? Here again if a 2 wheeler were to stop at a vend meant for 4 wheels the attendants do not fill but direct them to the correct vending machine. In fact I cannot remember seeing a deliberate stop at the wrong vend by the 2 wheeled friends in Delhi. In Navi Mumbai it is a common occurance but then so is the gentle wave towards the correct vending machine.

RE EDIT Reread Condor's post. He mentions 'now have separate lines/pumps ...'

The operative word being 'now'. This is then a recent development and in time everyone will adapt. So B'lore guys can look forward to more relaxed fillings .

Last edited by khoj : 10th July 2010 at 01:51.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 12:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If they're not paid by the petrol pump owners, we would've heard news such as "Biker gets assualted for not paying for pumping air" (read paying as paying not tipping) & people would demand for tip.

PS - I don't tip
Here The Boy Who fills Air isnt on salary, The Boy filling Air is mostly the employee of the PUncture shop Guy So he is the one who pays them , and thats the agreement that they have in delhi at most of the pumps PLus on an average the guy filling air gets about 150-300 In Tips Daily, depending on The Location and Clientle of the Pump.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 21:15   #41
BHPian

Today's incident. I was en-route to Lonavla and stopped at an HP pump which was quite large with multiple lanes for petrol, diesel. I roll in, see a vacant lane, regular diesel dispenser, but no attendant and stop there. The attendant is the adjacent lane filling up a Tavera. The conversation goes like this (translated to English)

Me (M) : Are you handling this lane as well?
Him (H) : Yes. regular or turbo? if regular, get your car few feet forward.
(i'd gotten down, wifey opened the boot)
M : Won't the pipe reach?
H: No. Move it forward.
(Thought I'd confirm so checked the dispenser, saw a nice loop on the pipe and realized it would reach with plenty of slack. Meanwhile the tavera filling done, attendant walks over. Also a Tata people mover moves into position after the tavera.)
M: What are you saying? The pipe will reach nice and easy. Fill up for 1000 rs.
H: Sir, the pipe gets dirty on the ground due to the rain water.
M: Why the 12 feet pipe? Give a couple of feet and ask customers to park under the nose of the dispenser.
(Meanwhile the Tata driver seeing some confusion is after the attendant to fill his ride up)
H : Sir, I cannot see the reading if I dispense from some distance from the pump.
(At this point I am close to losing it with this guy.)
M : you know what? Fill up the Tata. Here is Rs 1000. I know how to operate the pumps. I will preset. You watch the zero. I might get the opp to fill in a little more while you are not watching just like you shortchange us.
H: Kya saab. I will fill up.
Unnecessary conversations. Unnecessary explanations. Unnecessary people. It's high time we get 'Pay at the pump' machines.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 22:00   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
khoj : RE EDIT Reread Condor's post. He mentions 'now have separate lines/pumps ...'

The operative word being 'now'. This is then a recent development and in time everyone will adapt.
@Khoj, yeh kya dhoond nikala tumne !

It is not so recent a development, but has been so for quite some time now. Also, the pumps for the two wheelers are normally inside (away from the entrance).
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 22:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

@mmxylorider. no offence intended, but why did you not just move a little forward.

Reasons like pipe will get dirty, unable to see the meter correctly sound quite genuine to me.

Also assuming that the distance was less than 5 feet.
Since I drive a wagon R, in a similar situation I have just pushed my car in front using brute force.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 22:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
@mmxylorider. no offence intended, but why did you not just move a little forward.

Reasons like pipe will get dirty, unable to see the meter correctly sound quite genuine to me.

Also assuming that the distance was less than 5 feet.
Since I drive a wagon R, in a similar situation I have just pushed my car in front using brute force.
Might have if I was the lone occupant, and frankly I was not convinced of the explanations. Why have the long pipe? Why would one need to look at the pump if he has preset the amount? That's what happened in the end, the auto cutoff came into play and there was no need to do anything else. I recollect seeing a comment on some other thread - pump attendants will have you position the vehicle a little bit more (even if it means few inches) - subtle power show!!.
Brute force for a Xylo (5 occupants) - will not risk it
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 04:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Khoj, yeh kya dhoond nikala tumne !

It is not so recent a development, but has been so for quite some time now. Also, the pumps for the two wheelers are normally inside (away from the entrance).
Ab Kya karrein bhai, pehle aadat se majbur the ab to naam se bhi gaaye.

So the design of petrol outlets is more or less standardized across the nation. But then why do the 2 wheelers cut in to the 4 wheeler lanes. Umm BTW do the current lot of 2 wheelers not need a dose of engine oil poured in with the fuel. When I was in college I used to drive a Lamberetta, a Priya and a Zundapp and all needed 2Toil to be mixed and in fact this requirement led to the formation of separate vends for 2 wheelers with the built in oil dispensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I recollect seeing a comment on some other thread - pump attendants will have you position the vehicle a little bit more (even if it means few inches) - subtle power show!!.
Brute force for a Xylo (5 occupants) - will not risk it
^^+1 Agree with you mmxylorider.

I like to draw up to the vend in a way so that the meter is on the same side as my vehicle's fuel tank cap however 8 times out of 10 the the attendant wants you to come in the other side. Anyhow those are the times when one has to do what one has to do.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote