Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th May 2014, 09:38   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Abuse of position on Indian roads by officials

Yup, I completely agree with you.
In the process of looking for a new apartment.
Ant not comfortable at all at the enforced house arrest till rescue by the police. One of my patients had to pay Rs 12,000 extra as I went late. I shudder to think if there was an emergency.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 14:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
She works in Aavin milk department and claims to be an IAS officer. She has 2 government cars ( ambassador and an SUV) and an autorickshaw for her personal use. Every morning the ambassador and auto come to pick her up and her files.
Can anything be done?
Since you say that she works in Aavin, I am assuming that you live in and around Chennai. If you are not satisfied with the resolution of the police inspector, you could visit the JC or AC in their respective office. Eg. St Thomas mount range JC's office is in Police Commissioner Office Road, St Thomas Mount. You can meet the JC and explain him the situation. He will definitely resolve your complaint but contacting JC will make your local inspector unhappy. Any complaints on police officers will also be entertained and immediate action will be taken. The JC will speak to the concerned police office through wireless in front of you.

Let me narrate a small incident. There was an attack on a senior citizen. The man stood up to a couple of young guys on a pulsar who were eve teasing a girl on a scooty. They beat Senior citizen up.

The next day complaint is lodged against the young guys on pulsar. Police sits on the complaint and they do not even trace the owner of the bike. Senior citizen’s children are hooked up. They decide to take the matters on their own. Father stops them from doing anything illegal. So the sons get in touch with RTO “contacts”, get the address and pass it on to the police. Despite this, the police sit on this and inform that the house is locked. The sons visit the house, find the same bike parked and there was movement in the house. The police get shell shocked when the sons provide all the details of the attacker and even offered to bring him to the station. The police warn against visiting the attacker and gets angry at the sons.

Family decides to escalate the issue, meets the JC. The same evening Senior citizen gets a call from the local police station to identify the attackers. Only the bike owner is arrested, his friend, a mechanic was on the run. It turns out that this young gun is a Diploma student

However since the JC was involved the police still booked a case. Section 91 I guess (not sure). Looks like if this student gets involved in such activities in the future and if a similar charge is slapped, he can be taken in under Goondas act.

(There is a suspicion that there might be some money transaction between the offender and the law keepers. Local police before getting the affected party’s consent booked the offender in the petty section. The police had also summoned the student’s father to plead with the Senior citizen to withdraw the complaint. The police also asked the senior citizen to claim the hospitalization charges from the attacker’s father. The senior citizen declines to take money) Since the Senior citizen didn’t want the guy’s life to be ruined with a criminal case, decides to withdraw the complaint.

The student was made to fall on his knees for mercy. The police informs the guy that all the details were provided by the senior citizen’s family and If the senior citizen wanted he could have even complained as attempt to murder and an eve teasing case which will result in a severe punishment.

Later came to know that before attacking the man, the student had challenged the senior citizen to do whatever best he can do. In the end the man’s son says to the student “If we had wanted, we could have done more. Do you want to challenge my father now?”

The family left the station happy. The offender got the punishment he deserved and justice was served.

After a while, the attacker comes to know that the senior citizen’s youngest son had contacts in his very own class. The expression on his face when he sees the senior citizen’s son with a gang of guys outside his college was priceless. Hope he had learnt his lesson.

May sound filmi, but staying in the same locality for more than 30 years has its own perks.
katchkamalesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 04:20   #63
BHPian

Mumbai Mayor Refuses To Remove Red Beacon

Sheer abuse of power from the newly elected mayor of the commercial capital of the country. She claims that she is equal to the Chief Minster.

Source link:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/42290828.cms

Quote:
MUMBAI: In a defiant move similar to her predecessor, newly-elected Mumbai mayor Snehal Ambekar has refused to remove the red beacon light on her official car.

Ambekar, 42, the first time Shiv Sena corporator, courted controversy on Wednesday by stating that a mayor is "equivalent to the chief minister" and thus, should be allowed to use a red beacon light on the official vehicle.

"If you ask my opinion, I think if the CM uses a red beacon, mayor is of the same level and thus should be allowed to use a red beacon (fitted car). Whenever a VIP comes to the city, the mayor goes to receive him as a representative of the people. The mayor should, therefore, have a standard," she said.

Reacting to Ambekar's statement, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan remarked that everyone should follow rules.

"There is a Constitution ... There are rules," he told a television news channel on Wednesday evening.

According to a recent state government's list, a mayor is not entitled to use a red beacon light on his official car.

Former mayor Sunil Prabhu too had refused to follow the directives and had written to the chief minister saying that it was a "traditional right" of the mayor to use a car with a red beacon light.

Ambekar, a former LIC officer who had won the municipal elections from G-South (Parel) ward, was elected the city mayor on Tuesday. She is the fourth woman corporator to occupy the post in the history of Brihnamumbai Municipal Corporation
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 10:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

@JosrVijay; Disgusting of the mayor. On one hand you have the minister for Civil Aviation insisting on normal frisking at airports and then this on the other side.

We are just too used to the priviledge culture. I have never seen the M4 blocked for her majesty driving down from or to Windsor from Buck house.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 22:37   #65
BHPian

I received a reminder of the allure of power a few days ago. Travelling from Kidderpore to Park Circus, I was at speeds of 50-55 on AJC Bose Road, near SSKM Hospital and preparing to ride up the AJC Bose Road flyover. The road here is one of the wider ones in Kolkata and is about 7-8 lanes on each side. While the traffic was surging ahead a police officer stepped into the middle of the road and put out his hand. The act was very sudden and a number of cars including myself had to do heavy braking to comply; a car two lanes away got rear ended slightly. I frantically double checked the signal to see whether I had inadvertently missed it - but it was green. Then I looked around for an ambulance in a hurry or a handicapped person crossing but no. Imagine my astonishment when I see two other young policemen eating singharas, laughing away and crossing the road after which the officer withdrew his hand and ordered traffic to resume - and then it struck me like the proverbial bulb lighting inside the head -- this whole sudden stop was engineered to permit them to cross the road at pleasure. By then the signal had genuinely changed to red so while I seethed in anger for 3 minutes I was able to witness them share a snack break on the side of the road in what was obviously a festive occasion. Even now I wonder at what a brazen abuse of power these cops got away with.

Last edited by Kumar R : 12th September 2014 at 22:39.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote