Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 11th August 2010, 13:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Good luck Bangaloreans.This is a splendid effort to make a point for a public cause.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 14:11   #32
BHPian

I usually follow this "meter-jam" throughout the year

However, will make sure all my friends and relatives are aware of this act (have shared it in Facebook and Tweeted)
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 14:40   #33
BHPian

Personally, I never take an Auto in Bangalore unless i have exhausted all other options. I am willing to pay more for a taxi rather than give money to these thugs. So for me, "Meter Jam" has been in effect for the past 2-3 years .
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:12   #34
BHPian

Guess the meter jam was a flop ?

I didnt notice any visible difference anywhere today, people were still travelling by autos, not sure whether the online action translated into action on the ground !?
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

The online population who uses auto in Bangalore would be very limited. And its mostly ladies, school children and visitors who use them mostly. They don't have any alternate option as well. The campaign should have targeted a larger community.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The online population who uses auto in Bangalore would be very limited. And its mostly ladies, school children and visitors who use them mostly. They don't have any alternate option as well. The campaign should have targeted a larger community.
+1 to that. I was also thinking of the exact same thing. Had gone out in the morning and was just noticing the autos, most of the passengers were not the kinds who would be following this online. Most of the users were not the kinds who would have 4 wheelers so if the whole family has to go somewhere, there is no other option.
The good thing about the meter jam is that the auto community did get shaken a little. I hope they realize that over charging, harassing commuters and refusing to go will only hurt their livelihood.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 19:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
+1 to that. I was also thinking of the exact same thing. Had gone out in the morning and was just noticing the autos, most of the passengers were not the kinds who would be following this online. Most of the users were not the kinds who would have 4 wheelers so if the whole family has to go somewhere, there is no other option.
The good thing about the meter jam is that the auto community did get shaken a little. I hope they realize that over charging, harassing commuters and refusing to go will only hurt their livelihood.
Thats what I said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Another thing with this initiative is that even if all the internet savy guys are opting for boycott and spreading the news amongst but I am afraid the percentage to whom the message will not reach is huge. The percentage of people who know and choose to ignore is higher.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 20:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Chennai has an "auto passengers' association". Though it lacks teeth, it is nevertheless involved in discussions while revising fares etc.

If Bangalore has a similar body, this "meter jam" kind of efforts should be done through them. The boycott should be announced trough the vernacular papers, wall posters etc - same methods adopted by the auto unions. That way there may be some impact and at least the adverse publicity will make the unions pause.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 20:43   #39
BHPian

After I moved to Bengaluru from Mumbai some 5 years ago, I went about trying to flag Autos for a week. Booked a flight back to Mumbai and loaded my bike on the train back next weekend (those were the days of Air Deccan Rs 1 airfare, autos were still on 20 rupees minimum saar).

Since then I also acquired a car and a bicycle for good measure. Yet Autos never cease to disappoint in this city...coming from Mumbai it is always a rude culture shock.

Did not take much effort on my part to take part in Meter Jam. Now I read about Auto Unions making tall claims about checking meters in the morning paper. Isn't it ironic?

On the lighter side, did you guys see this: Indian Transformers : AUTOrickshawBOT Iyer Matter
u_chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 14:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They campaign very late, less than a week before the day, which leaves it with no time for it to propogate and create awareness. But it was enough to create panic in the auto acssociations and they came up with their own measure to correct the drivers.

If we have a meterjam once every month and keep advertising, we can all succeed.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 06:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If we have a meterjam once every month and keep advertising, we can all succeed.
Instead, it will reduce the value. Looks what is happening to the "bus" day. It is loosing it's importance day by day

Every 4th I think, let me follow it the next month, I will enjoy my ride today since there is less traffic
Old 29th September 2010, 13:15   #42
BHPian

Meter Jam on 12th Oct also. How many of us knowing?

Also, people who support the cause, here is a cool sticker for your car
Attached Images