Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:27   #61
BHPian
 
WDM007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 236
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Yup !

Its the road in Phase II, behind Wipro, going towards IBM.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:34   #62
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 653
Thanked: 176 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
^^ when i was yelling the same thing (driving in high beams) to my colleague who just brought a new Santro he said that he too drives in high beam. even i found him very ignorant (illeterate) about this simple common sense that you are blinding the person in front.
I don't even see a difference between high and low beams in city traffic. With a vehicle 3 feet in front, your beams are blocked then and there. The other issue is a higher vehicle behind you shining beams onto your face via the right ORVM.

By the way, I took the 'blue' route today (described few postings before this one) - so did not get a chance to see the final outcome of the median changes. Can someone post observations on that? Is it helpful to any extent?
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:10   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I don't even see a difference between high and low beams in city traffic. With a vehicle 3 feet in front, your beams are blocked then and there. The other issue is a higher vehicle behind you shining beams onto your face via the right ORVM.
yes, but the high beam indicator glows on your dash. we are just 3 feet away but one coming from front is highly blinded and can hardly see the road surface especially in rains where the light gets fragmented through the windshields.
Same thing happens when a high beam person is behind you. its very disturbing seeing bright lights in ORVM.

If we try to educate as much people we can it will be safer for everyone.
Believe me go outside pune to any remote place too, you will hardly find people driving in high beams in city. Even if they are, just blink your lights 1-2 times and with due respect they will lower down.

But what about the so called most educated IT people like us? you see a car blinking in front of you, even then you cannot take efforts to lower the beam? It has just become a kind of regularisation to drive with high beams in hinjewadi and areas.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:13   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default

Sometimes when I gesture with my hands, the person behind me switches to low beam, the same is the case when I flash my lights on oncoming vehicle, but in city I hardly see anyone responding to it, they just go around in high beams! The saddest thing is a few of them do not even know what and when the low or high beam is to be used!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:11   #65
BHPian
 
WDM007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 236
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Most of the times I drive my car with just parking lights on. I have seen a lot of cars in Mumbai driving with just parking lights.

Legally, you are allowed to drive with parking lights, if there are streets lights [dont know if streets lights need to be ON ?]
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:42   #66
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Aaah a rant about Hinjewadi traffic woes!! Hits right where it hurts.

As mentioned by someone - all the three routes described have the potential to be jammed up. I think it all depends on your luck. One moron trying to take u turn or driving on the wrong side starts a traffic jam a few kilometers long.

The worst culprits specially near the phase 1 chowk are the empty company buses and cabs who try to pick up passengers barely a few meters from the chowk causing bottleneck.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:04   #67
BHPian
 
Meer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi WDM007,

Is that the road that goes over the hills and on to the next valley with the road narrowing to a single lane and ultimately leading to Mulshi/Pirangut.

I think this is the road after you take a right from Wipro Phase 2 building. Today I went deeper into Phase 3 and was amazed at the amount of construction going on. Once it is completed, God help us...

Add to it the new residential complexes - Blue Ridge and Megapolis, I am sure our current situation will look like walk in the park
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:11   #68
BHPian
 
Meer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Aaah a rant about Hinjewadi traffic woes!! Hits right where it hurts.
its been hurting far too long and no end to the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post

As mentioned by someone - all the three routes described have the potential to be jammed up. I think it all depends on your luck. One moron trying to take u turn or driving on the wrong side starts a traffic jam a few kilometers long.
Very true, all are unpredictable. So, I keep a prayer book in the car..


Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
The worst culprits specially near the phase 1 chowk are the empty company buses and cabs who try to pick up passengers barely a few meters from the chowk causing bottleneck.
We had a very heated discussion on our company bulletin board once regarding who are the culprints for indiscipline. Lots of folks started by cursing the so called "illiterate" taxi / bus drivers for all the problems, but you will be amazed to find that the lanes on the wrong side are filled up more by the cream of the country in terms of education..

As Amit_mechengg pointed out, I have had discussion with a colleague in my office after I found that she was driving with high beam and she said at night without high beam how can you see anything
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 00:41   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default

I have been mulling over that ever since I saw WDM007's snap of the road and as I recall driving down the hill in '99/'00 the last turn was a left hander before the road sort of levelled off and a new campus was being built so I would not know whether it is Wipro or IBM but there was no level ground to have another campus/building in the upward direction, unless one went over the hill or cut the sides. So which is the case with IBM is it the last campus or is it cut into the side or is it over the hill and where is this phase 3. Also further down the road Mahindra BT was constructing a building.

Hinjewadi was in its infancy then, Mulshi and Pirangut were the areas in focus. I was visiting a company in Paud/Pirangut and did not want to drive all the way back to Mulshi. Saw this road running parallel (in my minds map) to the NH4 and dissappearing over the hills in the distance and decided to explore if I could get out that way and I could.

I visited Hinjewadi much later again in 2006 and it looked like a mess, reminded me of Bangalore's electronic city but with wider roads. I am surprised how easily our industry leaders are swayed by cheap land and tax breaks that they agree to set up campuses without worrying about basic infrastructure and long term effects of haphazard development. It is not only the political setup and policy makers who lack long term vision but the industry leaders are found lacking the same too in terms of all encompassing development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
I think this is the road after you take a right from Wipro Phase 2 building. Today I went deeper into Phase 3 and was amazed at the amount of construction going on. Once it is completed, God help us...

Add to it the new residential complexes - Blue Ridge and Megapolis, I am sure our current situation will look like walk in the park

Last edited by khoj : 24th August 2010 at 00:45.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 17:25   #70
BHPian
 
WDM007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 236
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

^^^

Yeah ! Totally agree with KHOJ. Those were the golden days of Pune, before 5 years. But then same thing I feel about Mumbai, whenever I went there ! Mumbai was far good half a decade before, with less traffic & pollution. Again, when I stretch me memory, I feel that even Delhi or say NCR was even more better a decade ago. Same goes with other major cities.

So, I conclude that it is a global phenomenon with growing population & more spending capacity of the public.

Now coming back to Hinjewadi...
IBM is not the last company on that hill side. There are couple of more companies further along the hill base. But I can see the hill base being flattened from behined now. Lot of truck & earth movers on the back side of this hill !
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 17:36   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default

off topic, but long before when I was in Infy I heard that INFOSYS would be written on the hill aka HOLLYWOOD, is that the same hill? Any idea if this "idea" is still on?
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 19:22   #72
BHPian
 
Meer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
off topic, but long before when I was in Infy I heard that INFOSYS would be written on the hill aka HOLLYWOOD, is that the same hill? Any idea if this "idea" is still on?
Yeah, it was a plan earlier, long shelved.. better senses have prevailed I believe! The Infosys Phase 2 campus was constructed at the foot of hills on all side and everyone thought wow.. now when rains come, all the mud from the hills slide down the campus roads making life miserable
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 15:32   #73
BHPian
 
WDM007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 236
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Yeah, it was a plan earlier, long shelved.. better senses have prevailed I believe! The Infosys Phase 2 campus was constructed at the foot of hills on all side and everyone thought wow.. now when rains come, all the mud from the hills slide down the campus roads making life miserable
Thats what happen when the building plans from west are copy-pasted as it is. I used to be in the ONLY Pyramid building in the region.
But when it rained, it was hell in the building with floors wet.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 17:48   #74
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
you will be amazed to find that the lanes on the wrong side are filled up more by the cream of the country in terms of education..

As Amit_mechengg pointed out, I have had discussion with a colleague in my office after I found that she was driving with high beam and she said at night without high beam how can you see anything
+1 to that. Going OT but the fact is that one can get a license without knowing anything about the rules of the road. So when it comes to driving, whether the person is educated or illiterate doesnt matter they all are oblivious of the error of their ways - ignorance is bliss!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
^^^

Now coming back to Hinjewadi...
IBM is not the last company on that hill side. There are couple of more companies further along the hill base. But I can see the hill base being flattened from behined now. Lot of truck & earth movers on the back side of this hill !
There are a few other companies - Atos Origin, Synechron, Mahindra Engg, Geometric plus a couple of new buildings coming up after these as well.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 22:38   #75
BHPian
 
WDM007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 236
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Birds eye view of Hinjewadi
Attached Thumbnails
Hinjewadi Traffic Issues-photo-0080.jpg  

WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Information About Hinjewadi, Pune kamat2004 Shifting gears 9 30th August 2016 15:35
Traffic Hacking : One driver improving traffic sandys Street Experiences 19 29th July 2016 20:04
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks