Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th January 2012, 11:24   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

I suppose, the new change of traffic regulations, was the culprit behind that massive jam. People are still facing the issue with that jam. A few of my collegues have been stuck in there for 2 hours and counting!

In a way, the new regulations are a welcome change. The busses and other large vehicles do cause massive jams on the flyover.

No wonder I had a lovely drive today morning. And here I was wondering, whether its a holiday or something .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:41   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Us bus users will be stuck badly starting today evening. :( Already the Mezza9 route post 6pm is a bit crazy.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:49   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Us bus users will be stuck badly starting today evening. :( Already the Mezza9 route post 6pm is a bit crazy.
May be it would be a good idea to carpool now !!!

Instead of all these changes they should develop the Sus road - Phase 3 route which will provide an alternative to enter Hinjewadi.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 12:45   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Instead of all these changes they should develop the Sus road - Phase 3 route which will provide an alternative to enter Hinjewadi.
While I agree to that statement, I also feel happy, that the authorities are trying some ways to workaround the given situation.

What the cops can only do, is manage traffic by these ways. It is finally upto PCMC authorities for new road developments and start working on sanctioned roads.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:35   #1040
BHPian

I innocently believed that there is going to be dramatic changes in Hinjewadi after our respected MP Ms Supriya Sule visited Hinjewadi to survey the infrastructure.

I think the problem seems to be who will take the cost and who is responsible for the work. Will it be PMC or PCMC or MIDC or Hinjewadi and other village grampanchayat or ZP?

I remember Bangalore has similar problem with Electronic city approach road. But when Cheifs of Infy and Wipro found themselves held up in traffic for hours, there was a big push from these companies. Now Hosur road traffic jam is history. Unfortuntely, Pune will never have such involvement from IT companies. Infy in Pune might be as big as their Bangalore office, but none of the top manager is located at Pune. Similar case for Wipro also.

There are attempts like Hinjewadi First, but these will not succeed unless there is some godfather for this cause.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 14:55   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I innocently believed that there is going to be dramatic changes in Hinjewadi after our respected MP Ms Supriya Sule visited Hinjewadi to survey the infrastructure.
And I firmly but innocently believe in a hassle free commute, disciplined traffic and a 200% hike this year.

She will do nothing to do nothing to rub the pawerful land owners lobby/locals in the wrong way by :
- Devaluing existing land by creation of alternative routes.
- Acquisition of large tracts of land for road widening. Why sell to PMC/PCMC when the same can be sold with far lesser hassles to builders who will pay top bucks for them ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 15:34   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Was the hinjwadi bridge closed to Hin-to-Wakad side traffic in the morning? People who came by bus stated it was so. Will have to check if the same (Wakad-to-Hin traffic blocked) is implemented on the return.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 15:55   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Ninja, I suppose it was. While coming to office today, I didnt see a single vehicle heading towards the flyover.

Also, with the absence of cops, I thought that the wrong siders would have a gala time. But that wasnt the case either. It was a breeze to drive through the traffic till HJW chowk.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:59   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Acquisition of large tracts of land for road widening. Why sell to PMC/PCMC when the same can be sold with far lesser hassles to builders who will pay top bucks for them ?
Have you seen the ad for some building at that NH4 intersection near the flyover (on the HJW/ Raanjaai side)? I dont understand if there is any long term planning in place at all. Why is construction allowed around known possible bottlenecks?
Another classic case is that 45 Nirvana Hills monstrosity that is coming up near SNDT/ Paud phata flyover. The town and its dog knows that two lanes are not adequate to ferry traffic between Kothrud and town. What does the PMC do? Allow a 21 level multistoried building bang at that junction! what about all the added traffic coming out of that gate right into the already jammed traffic
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 16:02   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
This may have been discussed before, but I may have missed it. What is reversible lane?
In the situation where are two lanes in each direction, the inner lanes are bi-directional depending upon traffic flow. This ensures a higher throughput during peak hours while not mandating longer detours for the opposite side traffic.

This is preferable where there are no intersecting roads.

Specific to HJW, the stretch from Shivaji chowk to flyover has no intersecting roads and putting hard dividers should be easy to demarcate these lanes. The Wakad flyover also has enough space for three abreast lanes of LMV traffic. Demarcate central lane as reversible - You then have at least 2 lanes of free flowing traffic right from Shivaji chowk to after th flyover. Whether one of those lanes should be reserved for buses is a different proposition altogether.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 18:20   #1046
BHPian

Any Live Traffic updates from the new plan implemented . Was wondering how it is doing ?

Swanand / Ojas / Noopster ?

Was just wondering does it anywhere means that cars/bikes should not enter the Mezza 9 route during those time slots .
I know it would be stupid , but thinking practically , it makes sense not to allow them as they would add to the chaos certainly (amount of impatience people have)

Also , does Tempo Travellers account being called as bus(es), as these are the ones that are seen the most swinging L-R < R-L in peak traffic ?

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 24th January 2012 at 18:26.
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 18:25   #1047
Senior - BHPian

I see no issues from my vantage point...
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 19:43   #1048
BHPian

Is it that just the flyover that will be one-way? or do they plan to make the entire Hjw Chowk -> flyover stretch as one way only during the said timings?

If they suceed in doing so, we might not see the traffic snarls so often?! I wish!
DuHasstMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 09:49   #1049
BHPian

I came to phase 2 before 8 am todayso didnt face any traffic issues.
How is the new plan working?
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 10:35   #1050
BBT
BHPian

Turned in from highway at the Wakad flyover at around 9:45 a.m. it was crowded but traffic was moving. Once I got though the initial swarm of vehicles, it was pretty much clear up to the Shell pump where it took just under 5 mins to get through the main chowk and then on to Phase 2 in another 5 minutes. I was at my desk by 10:05. Overall, reasonably pleasant.

On a different note, I saw a truck carrying bags of cement which was trying to get into Hinjewadi over the Wakad flyover - the cops stationed at the base of the flyover stopped him on the flyover and a couple of swift swipes with the baton were presented to the driver of the truck without a word being exchanged. I don't know why but it just didn't feel right - truck drivers are bullied by the police almost everywhere in the country and oddly enough I feel that truck drivers overall have better road sense than most LMV and bus drivers. I can't recall a single incident in my 2 years of driving to Hinjewadi where a truck driver has swerved across roads, barged into the wrong lane towards oncoming traffic or stopped to just have a chat with someone.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote