Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th August 2010, 13:04   #16
BHPian

>>>

Very bad experience.

Getting repairs done through the insurance route is fine but you still lose, even if it is not your fault - you lose out on your no claim bonus for next year or in the case the damage is minimal ( in your case the damage is extensive) you shell out the money from your own pocket.

These accidents will become more common as our roads get choked by drivers with inadequate driving skills and no desire to follow safe driving practices and above all, no civic sense.

I had a bad experience when a black Scorpio rear ended me on the highway from Mount Abu to Ahmedabad on the outskirts of Ahmedabad. The owner of the Scorpio acknowledged his drivers' fault, flashed his card ( a VIP on the board of some temple trust) and promised to pay up when I would give the car for repairs.

Over the course of the last fifteen years, I have seen some particular driver types who cause these accidents :

1. The adrenaline driven spoilt teenager of a businessman/bureaucrat ( the latter being busy with his deals to imbibe civic sense to his offspring) : this is very common in our feudal and status obsessed North

2. The ego obsessed ( possibly drunk,wearing loud clothes and glitzy sunglasses) : usually owns his business and makes no bones on bribing his every way

3. The stressed out taxi driver driving rashly (because he is late and because his sahab orders him to drive fast)

4. The underage 'driver'

5. The "well educated, professional in his/her 30s/40s" who follows all traffic laws overseas but owns the road in India

After seeing all these types, I try to drive carefully and make my moves ( overtaking, lane changing and so on) very deliberately. For, apart from#3 and 4, the rest will try to browbeat me/abuse me and then indicate that I am in the wrong and go to the insurance company.

As for the VIP director of the temple trust, all my subsequent phone calls went unanswered - after all he was an archetypical Indian -with no civic sense!

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 29th August 2010 at 13:14. Reason: Corrected a grammatical error
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 13:11   #17
BHPian

Having been in a similar situation (of lesser magnitude though) with my Swift, I can sympathize with your situation. I wish there was insurance cover for loss of mental peace too!
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 23:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Very bad experience.

Getting repairs done through the insurance route..

..after all he was an archetypical Indian -with no civic sense!

Regards
Very well said and I sort of agree with you. Auto Rickshaw drivers do fall under point '6' and Bus drivers should be given their own '7' as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Having been in a similar situation (of lesser magnitude though) with my Swift, I can sympathize with your situation. I wish there was insurance cover for loss of mental peace too!
This sentence pretty much sums it up, doesn't it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here is an update.

I'd gotten my car back from the workshop on Wednesday (25.08.10). We had asked for it to be dropped at our house. When the car arrived, the first thing I noticed was a pool of what looked like oil beside the car. I got in and cranked her up and there was an alarming amount of smell inside. I initially passed it off as polish or something and then it hit me! It was petrol!

I got out of the car and popped the bonnet. There was something leaking in there for sure! So I decided to drive her about a hundred yards down to the local garage and figure out the problem and that's when I noticed something else!

The rear end was making a horrible rattling noise while on the move. In fact, I'd noticed that the moment I sat inside, it was audible. It sounded like an old creaking door. It was making quite a racket and can be heard from outside on a peaceful stretch of road during a drive-by.

I got both the issues checked at the garage outside my house.

Apparently, the fuel return-pipe was punctured and the petrol just keeps leaking the moment you turn the key! 10 minutes and 60 rupees later, the job was done! But since it was too late in the day, the mechanic said he would attend to the suspension some other day. But he did check it out and he concluded that some oil and lube should sort that out. Thankfully, it had nothing to do with the accident!

I'm appalled to say the least. Generally, Hyundai are known for their decent and good service. The moment we discovered these niggles, I got in touch with Advaith Hyundai and gave them a piece of my mind! They haven't been upto the mark, at least when it comes to the periodic service of my car.

Here are a few pictures that I'd clicked today.

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-29082010073.jpg

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-29082010074.jpg

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-29082010075.jpg

The car looks fresh and new now. The painting and tinkering work has been done quite well and the obvious difference between the colour on the new door and the rest of the body around it isn't there, thankfully. that was something I was quite worried about. The new tail-light and bumper puts a smile on my face more often than not!

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-29082010078.jpg

As you can see, I'm not the only one who parks the car on this stretch of road. Incidentally, my car is parked at the exact same spot where it was hit a week ago!

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-29082010077.jpg

Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-29082010076.jpg

Here are pictures of the fuel 'return-pipe' that has been replaced. It's the lighter coloured pipe, and I've circled it as well!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 23:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

A leaking fuel pipe could have caused a fire, which could have been the end of the car --- and you too. This is a very serious mistake.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 02:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the damage, and good that the car looks back-to-form shape The petrol leak - close call!!

Gotta say this here: I live in a street that is closed on one end for vehicular traffic - with 4 flats / 24 houses. No non-residential traffic / bare minimum pedestrians. My car is still parked in a closed and shuttered garage that I rented in the next street, though my neighbors park theirs on the street.

When I decide to bathe my car up, I drive it up to my front gate and a nice Sonax shampoo wash would follow - total time spent: ~2 hours. Now, I usually wash my car, take bath (myself!), and then go out somewhere. But even in the 30 minutes that would pass between being done washing the car and me getting ready, I drive the car back to the next street to my garage and take the pain to reverse it in and lock & shutter it, lock the gate and walk back home - only to do the same thing in reverse order 30 minutes later.

IMHO, the trouble is worth it - much more than the heartache that I would get when I see that some playful kid had drawn a line on the car with some godawful toy, while I was drawing soap on me! And yeah, I would hunt down and murder the one who dares to cause damage to my car, even if its 1/10th of what was done on to your drive!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 30th August 2010 at 02:20.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 02:51   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oh crap! That's awful. I hope it's back to perfect very soon.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 07:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

@suhaas: not to add to your expenses, but your Tbhp sticker seems to be bearing the scars of battle!!!!
time for a new set, p'raps?
Just kidding...
anyway, i hope all gets back in shape very soon.
A car from an accident is like coming out of a fever, some dark spots linger for a few days.But then, one day, and some trips to mechanics later, on an empty road, it all just clicks back,"yes,she's back!!"

enjoy!!

Last edited by mayankk : 30th August 2010 at 07:41. Reason: link to local file removed
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

My sob story!
2 hours back, getting off the iffco chowk, the exit was marked off by cones,and i'm coming off the expressway, inside the cones.and this moron in a white fiesta(hr51aa1237-YES,YOU!!), decided he has to stay on the expressway.
cuts across, sideswipes my bumper, and starts taking off!!
and there's a multitude of haryana traffic police, noone stops him!
i stop, dazed, open my door and get off, and i see him pause, thinking maybe he'll stop and show some aforementioned civic sense,but no, he's just trying to get away!
knocks over another cone, and the TP tell me "aage badha...complaint thaane mein hogi"!
Geez!!
anyhoo, the bumper was slightly awry,pressed it, and popped back in,but the *** left a lot his white paint behind.Man, is the rubbing gonna take the sheen off..

Dude, i hope you......whatever!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 11:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Very well said and I sort of agree with you. Auto Rickshaw drivers do fall under point '6' and Bus drivers should be given their own '7' as well!

The car looks fresh and new now. The painting and tinkering work has been done quite well and the obvious difference between the colour on the new door and the rest of the body around it isn't there, thankfully. that was something I was quite worried about. The new tail-light and bumper puts a smile on my face more often than not!
>>> It looks as good as new. Whew. Touch wood. Drive safe. Most importantly, keep an eagle eye for lousy drivers who hit and scram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Gotta say this here: I live in a street that is closed on one end for vehicular traffic My car is still parked in a closed and shuttered garage that I rented in the next street[/i], ..in reverse order 30 minutes later.

IMHO, the trouble is worth it -
>>> No effort is hard enough to ensure the safety of your car. It becomes a matter of commitment and effort. A tough call in our country where parking is as risky as driving peacefully!

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 13:44   #25
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2010 at 16:48.
Sandy!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2010, 19:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Gotta say this here:...

...even if its 1/10th of what was done on to your drive!
Wow I would not at any cost want to mess with you, Sir! That said, I am not that attached to my car. I do love her to bits and give her the occasional pat on the bonnet after a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
@suhaas: not to add to your expenses, but your Tbhp sticker seems to be bearing the scars of battle!!!!
time for a new set, p'raps?
Just kidding...
anyway, i hope all gets back in shape very soon.
A car from an accident is like coming out of a fever, some dark spots linger for a few days.But then, one day, and some trips to mechanics later, on an empty road, it all just clicks back,"yes,she's back!!"

enjoy!!
Oh ironically, that happened when it was parked too! Beat that! I don't remember where my Mum had taken it but when she came back, she went round to the back, me behind her, and she showed it to me! I was furious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My sob story!
2 hours back...

...Dude, i hope you......whatever!
I'm sorry to hear about this! I've heard that Delhi traffic and drivers are ruthless to say the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A leaking fuel pipe could have caused a fire, which could have been the end of the car --- and you too. This is a very serious mistake.
Could you believe that! It was a seriously close call! I wonder how a service center could be so laidback and careless about it!
Old 1st September 2010, 19:54   #27
Team-BHP Support

Oh and yet another story!

This happens to be my neighbour's car parked in the same spot today and no prizes for guessing how it happened!
Attached Thumbnails
Hit and Run Driver damages my parked car-01092010080.jpg  

Old 1st September 2010, 22:05   #28
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Holy smoke. seems like either the turn is dangerous or some morons race in this stretch regularly.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:29   #29
BHPian

Not another one. I am not parking my car on the roads anymore. Its either inside or on the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Holy smoke. seems like either the turn is dangerous or some morons race in this stretch regularly.
That they do. There are a couple of OHCs nearby with loud FFEs and they do drive fast in the roads. And few more turn regularly nearby which has become a sort of meeting point
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:45   #30
BHPian

Looks like someone is teaching a lesson to all the guys parking on roads.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote