Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd September 2010, 19:34   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Why does he have to lie about the accident? Why not simply tell the truth?
I went through this myself. If you tell the truth, they have to open an FIR. Sometime prior to that (I think), you have to take the car to the RTO inspector and have it inspected and assessed for damage. They will also tell you that how can they be sure that you didn't cause the damage yourself.

Most importantly for the cops, if an FIR is open they have to take action as the number of open FIRs are checked by higher-ups. Net result: our brave men in uniform will try to persuade you not to file an FIR.

You can read in the newspapers about someone who had to go to a politician to then be able to file an FIR. That is for serious cases such as a son, daughter or next of kin who is missing.

So instead you get to write on a blank piece of paper about the incident in general terms and specifically say that you didn't see the vehicle that hit you. They then put a stamp on it. No bribe is charged for this "service" but you may have to sit there for an hour or two.

Even if you do file an FIR, there is a risk that the other driver may do a tit-for-tat and file an FIR against you even if his argument sounds silly. For instance he may claim that you stopped suddenly and he hit and then you sped off by the time he moved his vehicle to the side. He may then seek damages to pressure you to either go to court or drop the case. In the meanwhile, the cops will be trying to make merry getting money out of both of you.

I wonder if there is karma or natural justice. If so, some day some truck driver or someone may dent his car the same way he did asethi's.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 22nd September 2010 at 19:40.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

So instead you get to write on a blank piece of paper about the incident in general terms and specifically say that you didn't see the vehicle that hit you. They then put a stamp on it. No bribe is charged for this "service" but you may have to sit there for an hour or two.

Even if you do file an FIR, there is a risk that the other driver may do a tit-for-tat and file an FIR against you even if his argument sounds silly. For instance he may claim that you stopped suddenly and he hit and then you sped off by the time he moved his vehicle to the side. He may then seek damages to pressure you to either go to court or drop the case. In the meanwhile, the cops will be trying to make merry getting money out of both of you.
The first thing that you have said is known as noting it in the police diary. It is a diary maintained in each police station; for example if you had lost your DL or passport, instead of making an affidavit you could get such loss noted in the police diary, and it would work as a record by the government.

The tit-for-tat FIR is not something to worry about. This is not a case of high compensation that such harassing tactics will be adopted.

By all means, file FIR/get the truth noted in police diary. Contact his insurance and claim it from him. The only risk is if he does not have a valid insurance, or if you cannot trace the owner.

I do not think even a lack of NOC disqualifies anyone from claiming insurance. But I will have to check.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to learn about your accident.
You can go to the service center, and claim insurance by telling the truth. No need for FIR / other party license plate number. If you have cashless option - you only have to pay a processing fee of 500 or so.
Though I know that careless/reckless drivers shall continue doing like this (I myself got bumped by a truck from rear), the above mentioned is the easiest option out for you.
If you have lots of free time and lots of patience then I would suggest tracking down the guy by his license plate number / filing a FIR in police / extracting money out of him.

vivekiny2k - you are correct my friend! I got letters from 4-5 lawyers asking to defend me in court when I had an accident.

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd September 2010 at 20:23.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
The first thing that you have said is known as noting it in the police diary. It is a diary maintained in each police station; for example if you had lost your DL or passport, instead of making an affidavit you could get such loss noted in the police diary, and it would work as a record by the government.
True.

But for insurance purposes, they make you write out on a piece of paper and then stamp it. At least thats what happened when I went to the BTM Layout Traffic subdivision.

Quote:
The tit-for-tat FIR is not something to worry about. This is not a case of high compensation that such harassing tactics will be adopted.
The tit-for-tat FIR depends on luck from what I know. For instance in the Mysore Road speeding and slapping incident, the person actually filed the FIR blaming the victim. I have heard that when you open an FIR, the cops investigating the FIR go to the other party and suggest the same thing for "safety" reasons. Of course this is based on hearsay, I don't have any actual experience with this.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:40   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the support guys!
But I just checked the car details in the link RTO provided, and guess what, the registration number handed over to me by the cops is a wrong one! This number is someone's Accent Viva, and not Santro! See below:
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  43.9 KB

How can one believe these policemen, when they can cheat on the spot! Now even going to police station is futile, as I even don't have the car's registration number!

As for the insurance, I had got the car repaired, including the rear bumper replaced just less than 2 months back. And claiming the insurance just for the bumper doesn't seem to be a good option. And you don't need FIR for getting the repairs done, just need to document the incident in detail, and rest is their job.
As for now, I think I'm gonna live with this cracked bumper, as the damage is not much visible and paint loss in not much. Thinking of getting myself another set of T-Bhp stickers, and pasting it on the broken part .

Here are a couple of pics of the bumper.

The crack running along the boot. It may not be clearly visible because of the flash reflection. And the marked area has some paint chipped off.
An unwanted B'Day Gift!-22092010317_new.jpg

The beam has almost ripped through the bumper, but after pressing it a bit, it got somewhat together and doesn't look that bad now.
An unwanted B'Day Gift!-22092010318.jpg

The alignment of the bumper was gone, but almost got on place after some pushing/pulling effort.

Last edited by asethi : 22nd September 2010 at 23:47. Reason: Added the RTO snapshot
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Asethi - Welcome to the club on driving a damaged car
First time someone hit my car, I felt like killing him by smashing his head to wall; second time I felt like giving a hard slap; third time I felt like no use scolding these morons; fifth time onwards I started thinking when will the entire bumper get damaged so that I can replace it completely.

That's the reason I initially said, I've to sadly agree with Pavan. I remember reading a thread where some BHPian ranted saying there's no value for human life; if that's the case here, then how would someone even care for other's property? They would only want to behold your property, right from a toy to real estate.

Keep moving ASethi.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
How can one believe these policemen, when they can cheat on the spot! Now even going to police station is futile, as I even don't have the car's registration number!
I wouldn't jump to conclusions on that.

--Maybe that's a stolen vehicle having a ripped off number plate.
--Maybe the number plate was faded and the cop did his best to figure it out.
--Maybe the website is wrong ( when this service was launched in Bangalore, it used to throw up all kind of wrong results, and since the database was not updated, it never could find details of my old car, which was registered several years back )

If you do not have the time nor patience to pursue the miscreant further, choose the shortest legal way out, but do not harbor any anger nor apathy, it'll only make you distressed.

Wish you and your car a speedy recovery.
tintin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
I wouldn't jump to conclusions on that.

--Maybe that's a stolen vehicle having a ripped off number plate.
--Maybe the number plate was faded and the cop did his best to figure it out.
--Maybe the website is wrong ( when this service was launched in Bangalore, it used to throw up all kind of wrong results, and since the database was not updated, it never could find details of my old car, which was registered several years back )

If you do not have the time nor patience to pursue the miscreant further, choose the shortest legal way out, but do not harbor any anger nor apathy, it'll only make you distressed.

Wish you and your car a speedy recovery.
I'm fully recovered, and car will remain the same till someone else bangs it again!

Yeah the reasons may be many, and there's no point fretting on that. So no other option but to move on, and enjoy the ride as it is!

But the number plate was not faded, as I tried to read the number in the rear view mirror, but could only read half. And I tried the website with some known numbers, and the results were correct. So maybe the number plate was fake, and that may be the reason that guy ran away after the accident!

Last edited by asethi : 23rd September 2010 at 11:53.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:50   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I'm fully recovered, and car will remain the same till someone else bangs it again!

Yeah the reasons may be many, and there's no point fretting on that. So no other option but to move on, and enjoy the ride as it is!

But the number plate was not faded, as I tried to read the number in the rear view mirror, but could only read half. And I tried the website with some known numbers, and the results were correct. So maybe the number plate was fake, and that may be the reason that guy ran away after the accident!

End of the day, its better to overcome the incident.

That moron will pay for his mistakes sometime or the other.

Better to stay away from an altercation. Human life is more valuable than a broken bumper and running around police station.

Get the bumper repaired, so that it does not remind you every day of the hopeless incident.

All the best.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:29   #25
lsp
BHPian

Sorry for going offtopic here.

Whats the Validity/Legal status of an 'application written on paper & stamped by the police' as compared to an FIR?

I'll give you a little background. A cycle was stolen from the backyard of our house. The thief cut an iron chain at 2 places and took it away at night. The next morning I went to the police station with an application and a photocopy of the the cycle bill which carries the frame number of the cycle.

The constable/head constable on duty took the application took my application, asked another one to make an entry in the Daily Dairy. He then stamped & signed the application photocopy (which I had carried) & mentioned the Daily Diary number number on it. When I enquired about FIR, he said "An Investigating officer would be coming to your place. He would investigate and then an FIR would be registered".

This happened about a week ago. No one has turned up yet. I suspect that not many people pursue such things, hence they are just avoiding registering the FIR to keep the numbers down.

Many years ago I had lodged an FIR for loss of wallet and I was immediately given a copy of the same. I went with the SHO's son who was my friend to lodge the complaint. Nothing happened though. I never saw the wallet again. Although I have zero hopes to see the cycle again, I want to do what is right. (Whatever little exercise I used to get by taking the cycle to the nearby market is gone. I take the car now.)

Queries:-
1) Is this the actual procedure?? Receive complaint - Send investiagting officer - then register a complain.
2) I am in all mood to go visit them on Sat and ask for an FIR. What should be my line of argument? I am certain they will blame lack of manpower due to CWG. Is there any Rule/Clause which states that an FIR has to be registered within X no of days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Quote:
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 19:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Lalit, this is a clear cut that cops are evading & do not want to work on this one. The FIR must be filed when you write a given complaint in the police station. Besides I do not know what is there for an investigation office to visit on the site to check.

Are they coming to verify if the cycle is lost from the place you've mentioned?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote