Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd October 2010, 11:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Not entirely, in NYC, you cant use hand free either.
US laws differ from state to state, so no point in comparing. In MA (massachusetts), it is legal to speak with a phone in one hand, but the other hand should be on the steering. Weird, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Added to which, calls about work or business tend to take up more brain cell than family chat.
+1 to this. I have bluetooth in my car, but even then whenever I get a call from office, I am forced to pull up on the road side, since it uses a lot of brain cells to discuss work related things.
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:34   #17
BHPian

I always make it a point to keep the mobile in silent mode while driving/riding, so that I can check the missed calls after I reach my destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
What about the blue-tooth devices that integrates the car HU with the phone? Now-a-days, even car ads on televisions are promoting this. I guess how safe or acceptable is that!
If you observe these advertisements carefully, in the Ford Figo advertisement as well as Fiat Punto advertisement, the bluetooth feature is being used in a stationary car, not in a moving car.

The law clearly states that the mobile phone should be in Switched Off mode while driving. So there is no question of taking on the mobile in a moving car, even if one is using bluetooth accessory.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I always make it a point to keep the mobile in silent mode while driving/riding, so that I can check the missed calls after I reach my destination.
Precisely my point too. Why pick up the phone immediately? Now days it has become a habit for people to pick up the phone immediately as it sounds. When they've put a new ring tone, they deliberately don't pick it up & leave it unattended so that it bothers people around

Anyway, coming back to topic, if its emergency, then people would try reaching desperately, like keep calling for 2-3 times within 5 minutes isn't it? Only when it becomes absolute emergency, we can always pull over to attend the call.

Quote:
If you observe these advertisements carefully, in the Ford Figo advertisement as well as Fiat Punto advertisement, the bluetooth feature is being used in a stationary car, not in a moving car.
Fantastic observation. I've observed the car being stationary, but couldn't associate to this law.

Quote:
So there is no question of taking on the mobile in a moving car, even if one is using bluetooth accessory.
Then why do the car manufacturers provide one?
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
Wonderful observation rohan . But whats the point in using bluetooth in a stationary car. Guess they are trying to promote using it, but carefully drafted the ad by staying within the law.
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

The law to stop mobile phone usage was made to check accidents. Holding mobile in one hand, and talking, or texting is dangerous.
The fine was 1000rs and it was good money.
Then came hand free, and money dried up.
Quoting some studies about dangers of hands free driving, the police found another revenue stream, i.e. banning hands free too.
Funny though, most of those studies say that using hand free is as dangerous as talking to your co passenger.
I do not see any challans of people talking to their co passenger!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 16:01   #21
BHPian

Default stange laws

really really strange laws:

1) As tsk1979 says - if hands free is banned, talking to co-passenger should be banned.
2) If talking on "blue n me" - kind of systems while driving is banned, the blue n me system working above 0km/hr speeds is illegal.
3) If talking on hands free, or talking to co-passenger can be distracting, certainly can listen to music/radio be distracting too - that should also be banned.
4) from 3 above, if the music system works when vehicle is above 0km/hr- that is illegal.
5) From 1,2,3 & 4 above - think of a long drive at night - no talking on phone, no talking to co-passenger, no listening to music - you will be so bored, you will go off to sleep or you will die of boredom!

!!
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:49   #22
BHPian

Default No calls whilst at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I believe there's another thread I remember seeing (as well as posting on) regarding Mobile usage while driving and draconian laws of MH police on suspending licenses.
Anyway, I'm against usage of mobiles while holding the wheel. she'll sms me in case of anything urgent, during when I pull over, get off the car and speak.
>>>MX6,

Very correct.
I committed a folly once ( See it here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ng-happen.html (Using a mobile while driving - booked - what's going to happen?)).

Now I do not take or make calls whilst driving. I keep the mobile phone in the glove box or in a storage space. I attend to calls if any, by stopping very carefully and get out of the car to do so.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
1) As tsk1979 says - if hands free is banned, talking to co-passenger should be banned.
Both are two different things. Do not confuse between the two. Try this next time, when you speak with someone in front of you, give a pause of 5 seconds when speaking & they'll not keep saying "hello, hello" especially when driving. But they urge you to speak when speaking over phone.

Speaking in person is several times better than speaking over the phone. Remember the tele con at office versus open hall meet? Which one is more effective?

Quote:
3) If talking on hands free, or talking to co-passenger can be distracting, certainly can listen to music/radio be distracting too - that should also be banned.
Yes music is distraction to an extent, but again, you shut off the ears when you're concentrating on driving & its not a two way communication. The brain choses to listen or see not both at the same time. If you don't believe my words, experience yourself next time, its hardly noticable, but you need to recall after driving.

Quote:
5) From 1,2,3 & 4 above - think of a long drive at night - no talking on phone, no talking to co-passenger, no listening to music - you will be so bored, you will go off to sleep or you will die of boredom
My friend, you're totally confusing yourself. What I intent to say is, music & copassengers are not distractors, but, they can be controlled, however, the mobile is not. Also remember, the copassenger talk with respect to current context, while the guys calling over mobile are not. So one takes some time to understand the context (if not the call time is extended trying to understand what the other person says) & then think over & speak.
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Fantastic observation. I've observed the car being stationary, but couldn't associate to this law.

Then why do the car manufacturers provide one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Wonderful observation rohan . But whats the point in using bluetooth in a stationary car. Guess they are trying to promote using it, but carefully drafted the ad by staying within the law.
I feel that bluetooth connectivity in a car is a useless feature, considering the existing traffic rules in India.

It would be interesting to know whether the Ford Figo / Fiat Punto / Tata Manza manuals come with a warning to not use the bluetooth feature in a moving car. Owners may kindly enlighten us.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 2nd October 2010 at 20:39.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst listening to music has probably not caused a lot of accidents, I think that messing with the controls of the player has caused lots.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

What is the use of a Blue & Me system or anything similar then?
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Both are two different things. Do not confuse between the two. Try this next time, when you speak with someone in front of you, give a pause of 5 seconds when speaking & they'll not keep saying "hello, hello" especially when driving. But they urge you to speak when speaking over phone.
You are right, if I pause for 5 seconds while talking to my co-passenger, they won't say "hello, hello", they will give me small hit on my head and ask me to respond!

Quote:
My friend, you're totally confusing yourself. What I intent to say is, music & copassengers are not distractors, but, they can be controlled, however, the mobile is not.
What... I thought I could switch off a mobile phone or choose not to answer. How can I control a co-passenger, err I do not see a switch off button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whilst listening to music has probably not caused a lot of accidents, I think that messing with the controls of the player has caused lots.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What is the use of a Blue & Me system or anything similar then?
If I understand the earlier posts correctly, when you have parked your car and the music system is playing, and you receive a call, if you do not want to use hands free or do not want to go through the trouble of picking up the heavy handset or want all the co-passengers to listen to the conversation, you use blue and me - phew.

Practically speaking, I guess the manufacturers know that people WILL talk while driving, it might be safer to talk on blue and me rather than on handset!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 2nd October 2010 at 21:07.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:05   #28
BHPian

I totally agree with MileCruncher and aargee. I also keep telling my wife to let me concentrate on driving than keep on replying to her. I also keep on telling her not to react suddenly if a biker or riksha try to kiss my car. She has a habit of giving sudden reactions. I always keep my phone in my pocket and reply calls-smses after reaching to destination. The only exception is Boss's phone. I have kept a different ring tone for his calls and if he calls many times I stop the car at safe place and call him.
_Vyenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

@Vasanth - This is getting no where; as I said before, I set the expectation with everyone who travels with me in the car & I ensure they understand & if they still hit on the head, then its not only them risking their life but also mine. I'm sure if you set your expectation right with everyone in the car, no one will dare even to speak.

And you may not see a switch off button with the co-passenger, 'cause it remain invisible. Making it visible is in your hands as I told above. However, if you agree that you don't pick up the phone when driving/riding, that is all we're discussing.

Quote:
Practically speaking, I guess the manufacturers know that people WILL talk while driving, it might be safer to talk on blue and me rather than on handset!
Those morons also don't know that most mobiles available today have a speaker phone and/or blue tooth facility. Then why give one feature that is available already?
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Those morons also don't know that most mobiles available today have a speaker phone and/or blue tooth facility. Then why give one feature that is available already?
but blue and me also helps in reading out SMS right? (without anyone having to pick up the phone) Correct me if I am wrong, I am not sure about this.