Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th January 2011, 10:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Driving Etiquette

@esteem_lover i know it gets difficult, especially with the motorist behind honking away like there is no tommorow. But want to thank you for not giving up, please stick to your guns, trust me the people will change one day.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:08   #92
BHPian

mdsaab,
Superb thread!
We shall and will continue to follow these basic etiquettes.
As you have mentioned below,someday,we will all get there.
Let not loose patience.Everything takes time and these are topics which need awareness and education.
hallik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Driving Etiquette

mdsaab,

Thats a sensitive topic you have touched. We all want to believe that we drive with the utmost driving etiquettes but often we dont. How many times have we stopped the car before the zebra crossing? How many times have we ourselves not honked at a L sign car?

I consider myself a good driver but many a times my goodness is tested by some moronic drivers who honk when behind you, go at snails pace in the fast lane.

But there is a first time always.
1) Honk only when reqd. All other times use dipper.
2) Go slow in the school, hospital zones.
3) Change lanes when you want to drive slow. Prevents others from honking and taking sharp overtakes.
4) Be patient at the signal esp when there is a learner in front of you.

Everyday I hope my driving would be of some help to some one.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:21   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Some things that my Dad told me when he taught me driving and hence its become a part of my driving style:

1. Whenever possible avoid cutting a bicycle or rickshaw while taking a turn or something. The poor guy has to use his own strength to ride his cycle again from a complete stop. Whereas a motorist has to just press the accelerator.

2. Give way to pedestrians crossing the road specially old people, Women and children, anyone carrying some luggage. I know these people do tend to cross the road at wrong places and not at the zebra crossings. But that is how they have always been taught. Its not there fault. And honking at them and forcing your way through is not going to achieve anything. Infact just try standing out in the sun, surrounded by dust and pollution and all te noise pollution. Its not exactly a paradise out there! Be patient.

3. Some of you might not agree to this but women on the road are always dangerous (most of them anyways). And that includes both pedestrians and the ones behind the wheel. So do not honk at a lady driver even if she is at a fault. It just makes them more nervous and leads to more delays.

Last but not the least please please control that habit of honking at anything and everything on the road. Its free, doesnt mean you should abuse it. People honk at every possible instance these days. For example just when the signal turns green. Even the driver in the front knows its time to move. He is not exactly standing there on the signal for a picnic. So why cant we be a little patient and allow him/her atleast 3-4 seconds before honking.
i'd say your dad has taught you well

two days back my wife and me were riding on the bike and there was this idiot driving a cab behind us. he kept honking every two seconds even if he didn't need to. my God that was the most excruciating 1km i've ridden!!
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 11:35   #95
Team-BHP Support

@drmohitg- Please thank your Dad on my behalf. I hope to inculcate driving etiquete in the kids in my family as well. Trust they will be good learners like yourself!

(: got my Vento at last- did you check out my ownership thread?)

Honking at "L" boarders is one of my last vices . Let's face it, most of them hang about nervously in the fast lane and jam the brakes hard when nervous! So what I do these days is follow them quietly but if they dn't show signs of moving, "tootle 'em gently" as the joke goes. If still no reponse then it's honk central!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:01   #96
BHPian

Default Re: Your On Road Signature (Driving Habits)

I just hate honking and would never ever do it on a signal. The only time I prefer it is when passing a some freak who is unable to control his car in one lane and that's just to save my car in case he really is driving with closed eyes.

I have always tried to let pedastrians cross, but yesterday while crossing the signal (on foot), I saw most crossing the road when the green signal was against them. Every vehicle trying to cross was made to break just because some jerk thought being on foot gives him the luxury of whatever he wants. Really made me think how stupid I have been giving way to these morons but hope it doesn't take off the one good driving ettiquette I am still holding on to.
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:32   #97
Senior - BHPian

Though I dont drive too regularly, but here would be some of my traits.

1. Always with seat belts on, and also insist that the person on the front passenger seat do the same, if someone is seated there.

2. Highway specific: Always tend to let people who honk overtake me, if I have an opportunity to do so ( in the vain hope that I get the same treatment when i honk)

3. Always stop before the zebra crossing at the lights. Also love to brake in one smooth motion and stop exactly at the marked stop point. ( I hate drivers who intermittently brake)

4. Never honk at two wheelers in my lane unlike most drivers, who instinctively think that because I have more wheels I should be ahead of him. This habit comes because I still primarily ride a bike more than I drive a car. Only honk when the guy in front is unnecessarily slow.

5. One of my bad habits, especially with respect to mileage, is I change gears down a lot more than required. I almost always shift down while overtaking on the highway. I change down a gear before taking a turn inside the city. Basically i think this comes with probably having driven more (virtually) on race tracks using my steering wheel.

6. Always let ambulances or govt vehicles pass, but only if they have their lights on.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 14:40   #98

Oh good thread Things I do when behind the wheel:

The usual, that most people do.
1. Seat belt - its a habit (helmet on the bike)
2. Music - its a habit again
3. Shut all windows, and put blower or AC on internal circulation - don't enjoy noise or dust while driving.
4. Indicators always without fail
5. Stop at every red traffic light, and don't start till its green. I know the junta around you are a pain to follow these rules, but Butch (car) and I don't care.
6. At the longer ones I turn the engine off.
7. I try to stay patient at traffic jams - it's hard, but what's harder is keeping your calm when victim to the monkey trick of a rash driver. But I kinda manage.
8. Always give way to siren cars - ambulance or cops

The unique
1. I turn the music volume up when the car on my tail wouldn't stop honking without a reason.
2. I don't overspeed even when the car behind begs me to.
3. Try my best to be courteous to pedestrians, a trait seen rather rarely in Pune, partly because the pedestrians are unruly.
4. No lane change without indicator when on the highway or on Chandigarh roads.
5. Avoid operating the music player from the dashboard, try to keep the remote handy, causes less distraction.
6. Inadvertently end up crowding the back seat of the car, with everything under the sun. Have a weekly session of clearing it up.
Ikonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 15:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

@ampere i agree with you on the new type of pedestrian(cant get off the phone) being particularly irritating. How were these people managing when we did not have the luxury of mobile communication. Thats the added burden we indian drivers have to face when we venture out onto the road, if anything happens to these pedestrians its always the motorists fault no matter what.

@hammerhead you are doing the right thing by always trying to start early and keeping ample buffer time. People honking 10 sec before the signal turns green is just ridiculous.

Last edited by mdsaab : 27th January 2011 at 15:20.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

You seem to be practising driving etiquette to the T. And i thank you for that. Its great to be sharing the road with fellow motorists like yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
well, i've encountered driving etiquette on roads. a acknowledging nod, a smile, a mouthed 'thank you'. just need to look for the signs. but first, you gotta be a good person on the road. respect other road users, give pedestrians the right of way, let someone cross the road before you proceed and so on and so forth. when i've the time, i smile as i pass the L-boards.

trust me, you'll feel good about yourself.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:47   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You seem to be practising driving etiquette to the T. And i thank you for that. Its great to be sharing the road with fellow motorists like yourself.
if one has been driving as long as i have, one is bound to mature with respect to driving habits. its chaos out there on our roads. i do my bit to bring back some sanity.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Its great to be sharing the road with fellow motorists like yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
its chaos out there on our roads. i do my bit to bring back some sanity.
I echo your thoughts.

IronH4WK, it doesn't take years of driving to mature, but only common sense. A middle-aged city bus driver, or a cabbie would drive rash, cut through lanes, turn without signals, ignore traffic signals, turn the roads into race tracks and what not. But people much younger to them with no more than a couple of years' experience behind the wheel drive responsibly. Its the mindset that matters.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 16:02   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I echo your thoughts.

IronH4WK, it doesn't take years of driving to mature, but only common sense. A middle-aged city bus driver, or a cabbie would drive rash, cut through lanes, turn without signals, ignore traffic signals, turn the roads into race tracks and what not. But people much younger to them with no more than a couple of years' experience behind the wheel drive responsibly. Its the mindset that matters.
Amen to that! but hey, i ain't that old - just that i started driving a very early age
Old 27th January 2011, 16:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

@noopster. I can see that you are definately doing your bit. Global fallout. Hmm. Thats an interesting point you have put out there. It definately does help when one drives in more mature environments, just hope that more people bring back their good habits and not leave them behind. Many people who travel abroad abide by the rules and regulations to the T including littering on the road etc. But once back in india they feel they dont need to follow the same. Its sad but true. Hope this mindset changes for the better and fast.
Old 27th January 2011, 16:49   #105
BHPian

The GOOD:

1. I always wear a seat belt while driving (helmet while riding). I feel more confident with the belt/helmet on.
2. I never throw anything out of the window, stash everything in the car for later disposal (coz of which sometimes the side pockets look like a big dustbin )
3. I never drive with high beam in the city. High is only for the highways or roads without street lights.
4. I do more of economy drives = less revving and cruising speeds only.
5. I hardly use the horn. I get criticized heavily by everyone for this particular point. In fact this is the ONLY fault people find with my driving.

The BAD:
1. I like to RIP it once in a while . The child in me is still active. I try doing this on lonely roads only. I have to get over this but somehow as a car enthusiast, I don't think I can ever overcome this bad habit. It happens only when I am alone in the car/bike.
2. I drive a lot with my left hand resting on the gear knob. This usually puts additional strain on my right shoulder. Somehow the habit has gone so deep that its become very difficult for me to overcome.
3. I always play the music a notch higher than what is required

The UGLY:

If ever some driver cuts in with a rash manouerve, I ensure that he gets a real piece of my mind. And this is not by means of shouting (I don't like to waste my energy shouting) but by cutting him back at tricky places where unless one is experienced, you will stall (such as while climbing). Basically I give the other a driver a nice jolt.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th January 2011 at 00:36. Reason: Removed one additional smiley. Only 2 per post please.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote