Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th November 2010, 10:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

It is always the fault of the person merging.

For determing fault, the following thumb rules always hold
- Person merging has to make sure
- Person reversing has to make sure
- Person following has to make sure (i.e if the guy ahead brakes suddenly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
In US, people have the fear of shedding their $ due to the excellent tracking system & hence most people abide the law.
What tracking system are you referring to?

Last edited by carboy : 10th November 2010 at 10:31.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
but the unwritten rule (or norm) followed in Indian roads is, you allow one vehicle to pass (even if you have the right of the way) and everyone else behind follows that vehicle and it is only when there are no more vehicles in that lane, you will get a chance to proceed!
It is lack of basic courtesy rather than unwritten rule. I always wonder when we will become civilised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What tracking system are you referring to?
In US, every traffic violation anywhere in the country adds to your DL points and increases your insurance premium.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 11:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In US, every traffic violation anywhere in the country adds to your DL points and increases your insurance premium.
Ok. I was just wondering if he was referring to the above or the ubiquitous traffic cams being set up in the US.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 20:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Here're my thoughts...
Not sure from where the biker joined; was he also trying to merge into the lane or was he already on the straight lane. If he was trying to follow you & then overtake while merging, he's a moron & you've wasted your time for him. If he was already in the straight lane, then sorry my friend, you should be watchful.
He was in the lane alright. It was my carelessness, evidently. Still learning.

Quote:
Having said that, just be watchful @Anku from here on. There're morons everywhere, just can waste your time for them.
Yeah, you should see them on the traffic lights. Here's what's the situation is like.

Countdown to green light-

T-30 seconds - Engines on
T-25 seconds - Start revving
T-20 seconds - Accelerate to 1 cm/s
T-10 seconds - Accelerate to 2 cm/s or more if you're not halfway down the crossing
T-5 seconds - You should have crossed by now if you're worth your salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I suggest downloading a government issued driver's manual from US/UK or other civilized country and give it a full read. Most of your doubts about right of way will become clear.
Will do that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
My take - what happened above is the problem.

Sure, there was some right of way issue, sudden braking etc but no one hit anyone. These things keep happening, move on instead of getting into ego fights everytime you have to brake over 'right of way'.
I know. I just got angry in the heat of the moment as I'm used to being right most of the time on the road, so when the guy told me to watch out, I presumed it was he who should have been more careful.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. I'll be more careful the next time.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
He was in the lane alright. It was my carelessness, evidently. Still learning.
So are all of us @Anku

Quote:
Countdown to green light-
That's the same case everywhere; its already a national problem now.

Quote:
I know. I just got angry in the heat of the moment as I'm used to being right most of the time on the road, so when the guy told me to watch out, I presumed it was he who should have been more careful.
@Anku - there's one more reason all of us need to be cool on the road - road rage. It turns everything upside down & you were lucky enough that the other guy didn't turn the scenes ugly & he just carried his way.

Sometimes, I too get angry & loose control, but that's only when the other guy is 100% wrong like riding/driving on wrong lane & is bang right in front of me. But I too need to learn to let it go; we do not know what kind of person is on the other side.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 07:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
@Anku - there's one more reason all of us need to be cool on the road - road rage. It turns everything upside down & you were lucky enough that the other guy didn't turn the scenes ugly & he just carried his way.
Never thought of that. Whew, there's more to driving than 'stepping on the gas'. lol. Thanks a lot.
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:20   #22
BHPian

Was it a parking zone? Move that car and all problem solved!

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd November 2010 at 11:39.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
wo parked car ko koi kuch nahi bolra?

Was it a parking zone? Move that car and all problem solved!
Well, the thing is that, if one were to decide to get all the wrongly parked cars moved from an Indian road that he was passing, that's what he'd be doing all day.

It's basically like a jungle raaj. Too many wrongdoers will gang up on the lone protester, thus creating more complications than merely going around the wrongly parked vehicle.