Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th December 2010, 14:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

@snorting bull: Good to hear that you're safe

@aargee: I've had a similar experience with my 800. I was cruising at ~60kmph on one of the good roads in my hometown, when I came across a stretch of road that had a sheet of water flowing from the paddy field on the left to the one on the right. It was quite broad that the car was flowing for a few seconds. Instinctively I braked when I saw the water, but as the tyres touched the water, aquaplaning occurred and I found myself out of control. I realized what has happened and let go off the brakes and regained steering control, at the same time pumping on the brakes gently. Helped me lot to reduce speed and stay in course.

@pramodkumar: Welcome to Chennai :-) You're in for more. State Transport buses driving in the middle of the road is nothing new. They own the road.

@tejas: I also had that doubt regarding wider tyres. Thanks for clarifying
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Good to hear that you all are safe after the incident. Must have been very scary especially with your family being involved.

Mudit : what is the logic behind this manoeuvre?

Centrifugal force will provide a corrective counterbalancing weight on the outer side causing the upright side to move towards the ground I guess.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Go back to the force chapter of 10th class physics..

Try to remember the 3rd law of motion.
"[i]To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction: or the forces of two bodies on each other are always equal and are directed in opposite directions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
See the following image sequence of how to steer into the direction of tilt/topple and save yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Centrifugal force will provide a corrective counterbalancing weight on the outer side causing the upright side to move towards the ground I guess.

Thanks guys. Got the logic. I just hope I dont have to try it out on our roads!!
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice set of pictures of the Gypsy

With reference to your incident, must have been really scary, considering you had a kid as well. As many have out it here, I dont think wider tyres would have changed the situation much. Not able to fathom how it could have happenend.

But one thing could be that the rut on the side could have been deep and very loose, so when you tried to turn it could have caught onto something which exerted a force on the left wheels causing it to topple, and to add to the fact that you may have been turning it to the right.

Some pics of your car would be appreciated to witness how the Jazz fared in this case. Take Care
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 00:13   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Overturned my Honda Jazz!

Those of you who never got to see the belly of Jazz Here it is. Pretty neat I should say.
Attached Thumbnails
Overturned my Honda Jazz!-downside.png  

snorting bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 09:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Overturned my Honda Jazz!

This sort of reminds me of the PIT maneuver done by police internationally. if the vehicle was a RWD, would it have lost traction?

But overall, thanks tejas and mudit - very useful info - esp for someone like me who drives fast irrespective of weather and something like this can help when out touring. thanks a ton folks!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote