Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th November 2010, 14:58   #1
BHPian

Default Mysterious bike explosion!

MODS: please move to appropriate section if not correct.

This happened at 1am this saturday.

I was fast asleep and suddenly BOOM!

HUH! These kids are still celebrating diwali? Damn!

I try to go back to sleep, but cannot because of some small explosions, chit put.

Then suddenly i hear people from the adjacent office (call center probably) shouting

Aye, oye! (!@#!@!$#%$#%^#%^)!

I hear my mom shout

kya hua?

(something in telugu)

I look through my window and people are pointing toward our apartment parking. Ours is a 6 storey apartment and we're on the 5th floor. My eyes are wide awake as soon as i see the peripheral wall bright orange only in small section. I knew it was a fire, and seemed to come from the same section where my swift and pulsar are parked. Within 10 seconds, i'm out of my house and running down the stairs, (avoided the lift, good na?).

I'm climbing down, i reach in between 3rd and 2nd floors and see thick black smoke coming up, my worst fears grip me... MY PULSAR!! NO!! I'm going to kill who did this!!

I reach the parking and see 2-3 people already on the scene pouring water over a bike which has almost nothing but metal remaining.

THankfully, its not my bike, but my bike's 2 feet away from it, i go close, some of the plastic is still burning.

I take some water and pour over my bike, and then i see that the side covers and seat has been damaged, most probably by the impact of the explosion.

Since then, there have been numerous theories as to what happened. I have narrowed down on a petrol thief as my petrol pipe was removed, but he couldnt extract anything as i had a petrol lock installed.

I guess the lock saved my bike from burning Alhamdulillah! (Thanks to Almighty!)

Key to pics:
1. Burnt CBZ only metal remains, except tyres.
2. un-identifiable part, you guys can help?
3. tool kit anyone?
4. head light, number plate
5. close up
6. reverse angle, seat disappeared!
7. My bike !! (*crying*)
8. Other cars are so near
9. impact on building, good that the wires dint catch fire, only burnt a bit.

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-377.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-378.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-379.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-380.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-381.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-382.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-383.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-385.jpg  

Mysterious bike explosion!-picture-386.jpg  

unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Oh God. That is so bad. My bike escaped a similar end when a vandal removed the fuel pipe. Luckily it was noticed within 5 mins or so and nothing untoward happened.

My bike was holding close to 16 Liters of petrol that day.

Very sad pictures. May the damn vandal who did this burn in hell.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

This does look like result of someone trying to pilfer petrol from bike. Petrol vaporous would have caused an explosion like sound.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:34   #4
BHPian

That petrol thief may have been smoking a beedi or something while pulling the fuel into a jar.

Too bad he did not get injured in the mess he created. He deserves it.

Did you have comprehensive insurance for this bike?
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

OMG ! It shocks me even further when i think that this happened just because some moron wanted to earn a cheap buck by stealing!I hope the original insurance papers and documents were not kept by the owner in the bike itself. Once when fellow BHPian unni.ak visited my place on his bike, his Pulsar had almost half the tank full of petrol stolen from it. The petrol pipe was left tucked in somewhere. I shudder to think what if someone had lit a match in the vicinity as petrol continued to drip/flow. Poor unni.ak ended up stranded on the road while on his way back.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

OMG thats unimaginable.

The burnt bike looks totally terrible. The guy who owns the bike must have had a nervous breakdown. @unoczar You are damn lucky that your pulsar and other cars in the vicinity escaped without any major damage. Just imagine this explosion starting a series of explosions.

Didn't your complex had any security, cant believe a petrol thief could easily break in the complex and start such a catastrophe.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

OMIGOD, that was quite a 'choochaa'
But looking at the condition of the petrol tank, doesnt look like it was caused by the fuel. Is battery the culprit -the major damage seems to have happened around that area. Some melted connection perhaps?
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 22:25   #8
BHPian

choochaa!!?? ROFL!!

no, it wasnt the battery, infact the battery is almost intact. Its most definitely the petrol outlet. The beedi/cig theory could be true, also the mischief part cannot be ruled out.

Security was in place, poor fellow decided to take a nap just half an hour prior to the incident. People came in after second show and thinking that no one else might come he probably dozed off, giving the petrol thief good time to do his thing. We still are not sure what exactly happened.

Insurance: Sorry to say, i dont have any insurance on my bike, and the CBZ fellow's insurance expired 3 months ago. He's now fighting everyday since with the society to give him compensation.

What do you guys think?

and.. anybody has extra side covers lying around for poor me?
Old 17th November 2010, 11:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Insurance: Sorry to say, i dont have any insurance on my bike, and the CBZ fellow's insurance expired 3 months ago. He's now fighting everyday since with the society to give him compensation.

What do you guys think?

and.. anybody has extra side covers lying around for poor me?
Why would the society compensate him? I dont think that would ever happen.

For the side cover do check out in Koti. You should be able to get them there, from some scrap.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 11:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

That looks terribly bad. Lucky that the wires didn't catch fire.Else the disaster would have been far more serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
..his Pulsar had almost half the tank full of petrol stolen from it. The petrol pipe was left tucked in somewhere.
Around a year back my friends Pulsar tank was emptied (full 13 liters siphoned away).Pipe was cut open and left hanging. This happened inside our college parking lot where there are 3 attendants.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
choochaa!!?? ROFL!!

no, it wasnt the battery, infact the battery is almost intact. Its most definitely the petrol outlet. The beedi/cig theory could be true, also the mischief part cannot be ruled out.

Security was in place, poor fellow decided to take a nap just half an hour prior to the incident. People came in after second show and thinking that no one else might come he probably dozed off, giving the petrol thief good time to do his thing. We still are not sure what exactly happened.

What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Why would the society compensate him? I dont think that would ever happen.
+1 to that. Society is no way liable for this mishap and hence question of they paying any compensation is totally ruled. The CBZ owner also knows it else he would have gone to the police to lodge a complaint. This is a typical situation in which nobody is to blame but the owner has to bear the consequences.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 13:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
...he would have gone to the police to lodge a complaint. This is a typical situation in which nobody is to blame but the owner has to bear the consequences.
I'm surprised this has not automatically "become" a police case. Just because it happened in private property and nobody was injured does not make it something that can be ignored. In these days of terrorism, nothing like this can be ignored without proper investigation despite the inconvenience it puts on everybody involved.
DrunkenMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 21:39   #13
BHPian

Actually, there was a police case, they sort of investigated and shook their heads and went, never to be seen again. :-|
Old 24th November 2010, 22:02   #14
BANNED

this is done by someone ,purposefully . This looks like it was set on fire (I dont know why I feel so ) . I have seen those pictures carefully .

why the front section is so burnt up ? may be it was set on fire from above & front side .

OR , have you recently altered the front section wiring ? ( a short circuit may have happened)

anyways check the tank for holes/ punctures etc

Now in second pic is that the remains of a jerry can or something ?

Sad sight ,very disturbing . It really hurts a bike lover like me .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 10:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
this is done by someone ,purposefully.

OR , have you recently altered the front section wiring ? ( a short circuit may have happened)

Now in second pic is that the remains of a jerry can or something ?

Even i feel so..

Short circuit on a parked bike?

that pic according to mechanic is the "rectifier"