Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th December 2010, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
On all my highways drive I always carry a 3' solid steel rod, a 6' wooden staff that is regularly fed with mustard oil once a month. Never ever had the occassion or the opportunity to wield either.

Thrice I've been asked about the steel rod by the police at a checking at interste barriers. I've till date gotten away mentioning that this for operating the hydraulic jack since I can't bend down due to my belly (that's the whitest of the white lie).
I use the largest maglite. The one that takes 6 D cell batteries and about 2 feet in length. Its a powerful light and it doubles as a good strong metal.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this. But why oh why these bikers don't understand this and that too on a highway that at the best of the times is devoid of police patrol?
I wonder will there be any hope if we call the police helpline number (100) when we are in such a situation !.. They have a control room which can inform the nearby highway petrol unit. It should work in an ideal situation, but I am not soo sure about its efficiency in our country.
arunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Switched on all my lights - the strobes, HIDs, Roof and the Hella rallye 3003, floored the gas pedal and blared my both set of horns - Bosch 370HZ and the Hella 230HZ. With the speedo reading 110 approached them at great speed.
Wow... Reminds me of the movie Joy Ride where the trucker uses the same tactics to scare his victims
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:28   #19
BHPian

reminds me of an incident in jangpura delhi, even though its not the same kind of harassment.
So i was driving normally on a tight residential road and these two guys on a pulsar approach us in the opposite direction driving like crazy, almost crashing into me (no helmets might i add). While they crossed us, they were shouting oye oye as if i had done something wrong. Another 30-40 seconds they turn around and come in front of me looking for a fight. They were pretty drunk and thought they were tough. The bigger guy approached me, i was sitting in the drivers seat. He starts of saying stuff like how are you driving etc etc. I tell him to run off. During this, my friend in the passenger seat gets out and simply lifts his shirt up a bit. After seeing the holstered pistol, those guys ran off. Now just imagine, these are the kind of fools we have on our roads. I was in a good mood to thrash these two monkeys black and blue, but before i could even think about it they had vanished. Now just imagine if i was alone and unarmed, god knows what they would have done to me for no fault of my own. Moral of the story: Its a jungle out there, survival of the fittest. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th December 2010 at 14:58. Reason: Abusive language even masked is NOT Pemitted. Next time will attract infraction.
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Hmmm. I have to buy one quick.
I have invested in an LED torch with a strobe function, which is also used by law enforcement agencies.That will be a big help in emergencies.

However a crowbar beside you in your vehicle is very reassuring

Regards, drive safe
Do let me know if you find one. I too want to have one for safety.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:03   #21
BHPian

>>>
f1fan,

Will surely let you know; I guess I'll have to ask a civilian contractor for a 3-3 1/2 feet iron or steel bar.

Also I have bought a very powerful LED torch with a strobe function, which can break glass. It is not very large, has a range of about 220 metres, has a focus function too. Very useful if you are driving in lonely places.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
My civil contractor arranged it for me. I don't know what he said to the seller....

That's is a unique handle that you've got "bottle'. The Bosch 370HZ is not wired to the steering wheel. It is operated by a separate push-button.

Can I ask you for something instead? The cost for building a shrine would get me a Hummer. Should I send you my bank details for affecting wire transfer?
gd, Really good that you carry steel rods every time on the highway drive for safety. But still my advice is not to try anything out when family is in, especially ladies and teen daughters. The bikers or whoever create a trouble on highway may be the locals with a thick background and don't mind to do anything at anytime.
I had a very bad experience on the way to Mysore last year when an autowala hit my car when I was slowing down to park on the road side. It was absolutely his fault of overs peeding and i was forced to pay for his damages by the crowd he gathered for his support. And I did it only because of my family with ladies and kids in car. But still if I was with my friends or alone then the deal would had been different and never wanted get messed in those gutter and reach home without peace.
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree aargee, what I did should not have been done. But after sometime my patience gave away. My family was with me and I could hear my wife screaming with her eyes closed, Son looking intently as to what was going to happen and the daughter ashen-faced.

As far as baseball bat or chain ball is concerned, I'm well prepared for that. On all my highways drive I always carry a 3' solid steel rod, a 6' wooden staff that is regularly fed with mustard oil once a month. Never ever had the occassion or the opportunity to wield either.

Thrice I've been asked about the steel rod by the police at a checking at interste barriers. I've till date gotten away mentioning that this for operating the hydraulic jack since I can't bend down due to my belly (that's the whitest of the white lie).

I hope & pray to God that I may not have to do this or wield the staff/rod ever. But, I promise nothing....except that I will not draw the first blood
Thing is, you will try your best to keep it decent but people who indulge in such behaviour can stoop to any level. So, you intimidate them and they come back with something more. It just ends up getting uglier! N being with family gives one very limited options to retaliate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
reminds me of an incident in jangpura delhi, even though its not the same kind of harassment.
So i was driving normally on a tight residential road and these two guys on a pulsar approach us in the opposite direction driving like crazy, almost crashing into me (no helmets might i add). While they crossed us, they were shouting oye oye as if i had done something wrong. Another 30-40 seconds they turn around and come in front of me looking for a fight. They were pretty drunk and thought they were tough. The bigger guy approached me, i was sitting in the drivers seat. He starts of saying stuff like how are you driving etc etc. I tell him to **** off. During this, my friend in the passenger seat gets out and simply lifts his shirt up a bit. After seeing the holstered pistol, those guys almost **** themselves and ran off. Now just imagine, these are the kind of fools we have on our roads. I was in a good mood to thrash these two monkeys black and blue, but before i could even think about it they had vanished. Now just imagine if i was alone and unarmed, god knows what they would have done to me for no fault of my own. Moral of the story: Its a jungle out there, survival of the fittest. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well, there's nothing more required than a pistol! But again, there could be many rogue pistols out there.

One question to everyone : You chose to retaliate and show all you've got; in the process, you stand to lose a lotta things while the people who indulge in such acts don't have anything to lose anyway! So, at times showing your strength might end up actually harming you more than them. I ain't saying you should be bear these things but one moment of rashness and things could get outta hand!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mightve heard of this saying "Jiski lathi uski bhains". Who has the stick keeps the buffalo.
In todays world this is a fact and holds true. Try as you may to debate against it, just look around yourself and you will find evidence of its truth and its existence. This IS the new world order.
So you have 2 choices, get yourself a lathi or become a bhains.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

As I mentioned, I shall not draw the first blood, but won't hesitate to go to any end to stand upto. One of the primary reason for owning a SUV is solely this.

I've some ground rules for the highway and desolate roads:

Don't stop at any barrier manned by people in Khaki. Jump the barrier and engage them at a crowded place.

On a desolate road, don't stop for anyone - even if it is Kat Kaif in distress (I might take that risk)

If you are involved in an accident on the highway, don't stop and go to the nearest PS and surrender. If you are dead then nothing would matter anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
gd, Really good that you carry steel rods every time on the highway drive for safety. But still my advice is not to try anything out when family is in, especially ladies and teen daughters. The bikers or whoever create a trouble on highway may be the locals with a thick background and don't mind to do anything at anytime.
I had a very bad experience on the way to Mysore last year when an autowala hit my car when I was slowing down to park on the road side. It was absolutely his fault of overs peeding and i was forced to pay for his damages by the crowd he gathered for his support. And I did it only because of my family with ladies and kids in car. But still if I was with my friends or alone then the deal would had been different and never wanted get messed in those gutter and reach home without peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thing is, you will try your best to keep it decent but people who indulge in such behaviour can stoop to any level. So, you intimidate them and they come back with something more. It just ends up getting uglier! N being with family gives one very limited options to retaliate.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

GD Saab, before you inspire others to follow you example, please reveal your special skill sets to them. You really don't want just anybody to pick up a weapon and get into trouble.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
@ aargee, you think all those SUVs with the flags have enrolled membership in some party!?
Not everyone; but when the have the flag thinking it would protect them during any incident, it will only turn things even uglier when found

Quote:
My family was with me and I could hear my wife screaming with her eyes closed, Son looking intently as to what was going to happen and the daughter ashen-faced.
I quite can understand this; there was a similar incident where a member was driving along with his Wifey & someone drove like crazy which sent shivers to everyone & our friend got involved in road rage. I fully agree that one WILL turn wild when they see their family at stake.

Quote:
As far as baseball bat or chain ball is concerned, I'm well prepared for that
Lol; but I'll never get the inspiration. What would happen when a bunch of people take our own weapon to beat us down? No I wouldn't carry such things.

Quote:
Don't stop at any barrier manned by people in Khaki. Jump the barrier and engage them at a crowded place.
Hmmm...quite a good point; but what if they were genuines? In that case, we still take the beatings isn't it?

Quote:
On a desolate road, don't stop for anyone - even if it is Kat Kaif in distress (I might take that risk)
fantastic point; strongly agreed.

Quote:
If you are involved in an accident on the highway, don't stop and go to the nearest PS and surrender. If you are dead then nothing would matter anyways.
Another fantastic point; its better to face the court & case later than getting thrashed by people
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 17:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

I still maintain that I shall not draw the first blood. Will avoid a situation like plague if possible and would not mind running away even. But if push comes to shove......

I wouldn't want anyone here or elsewhere to draw inspiration from me or follow. I just mentioned what I do or would do to defend; special skills be damned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
GD Saab, before you inspire others to follow you example, please reveal your special skill sets to them. You really don't want just anybody to pick up a weapon and get into trouble.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hope they reported the registration number of the bikes to the police.
Yes, they did. Both the bikes were of Kerala registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Nitin - Must be some college youngsters trying to have fun or may be one or all of them would've been a victim of some moronic Govt bus driver.

PS - Couldn't help thinking about the 60's bikers gang in US. So are we still half a century behind?

Yes, I do feel that way. But Karnataka KSRTC bus drivers are very gently when it comes to driving. They must have mistaken for the Kerala KSRTC buses.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th December 2010 at 20:01. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 14:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bikers harassing vehicles on highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Yes, I do feel that way. But Karnataka KSRTC bus drivers are very gently when it comes to driving. They must have mistaken for the Kerala KSRTC buses.
Don't know about Kerala RTC buses but know how the SETC (Tamil Nadu RTC) drivers are! Holy moses, they are always in terrible temper and use their buses to show it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th December 2010 at 14:13.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote