Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th December 2010, 14:27   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Why are Most Highway Truckers such gentlemanly drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The answer to your question is in your own comment/post. We are talking of India, not Europe. And my comment was about driving the trucks on our roads, not cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Is it better for a 30 ton, 65 feet trucker to change lanes every minute due to the so called "roadside vandals and fools' or maneuvering a 1 ton car?

You have to consider that these truckers drive 100's of kms at a stretch. Also, the drivers are often responsible to deliver goods on time, so, they have to watch out for their vehicles.
Well folks all that this tells me is the we have got so used to illegal and dangerous driving that we not only condone it but also encourage it.

I suggest you folk take a look at the highway code (hopefully there is one even in India). Do you realise the number of juggernauts (incidentally named after Lord Jagannath) on European roads. You overtake on the right and are in the left lane when being overtaken (PERIOD). I am sure you are also happy with indicating what the other chap should be doing, when you should be indicating what you should be doing, e.g. if you are in the left lane, and are willing to be overtaken then you indicate left (NOT RIGHT) to tell the other chap that you are sticking in the left lane.

No wonder we have the (if not one of) highest accident rate in the World.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th December 2010 at 14:28.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:03   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
if you are in the left lane, and are willing to be overtaken then you indicate left (NOT RIGHT) to tell the other chap that you are sticking in the left lane.
Haha plus one to that, I use my left indicator and my right hand [waving the following car onwards when i intend to let them overtake.]
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:14   #93
BHPian

The long distance truckers are well mannered on road however short distance within subburbs, first time drivers, tippers, loaders etc. are nuisance.

The drivers as long as drivers okay the monent they become divers diving lanes OMG.

I believe that it is paitaince that makes driver a good driver.
Floating Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:34   #94
BHPian

Default The Gentlemen

In my driving experience i have come to the conclusion that the trucker species are some of the most gentlemanly drivers on the road.
Yes, they sometimes hog the best part of the highway. But there is a reason - they lug truly impossible loads and therefore they cannot give you side sooner than you want them to, they come to the centre of the road sometimes because once they see a obstruction on their side, they have to start leaving their side much before any other vehicle would normally and whenever possible they always give side. We have to respect them for their knowledge of the road - its their life. Trucks when they leave the tarmac invariably get stuck in the softer mud on the side. Therefore they mostly drive little towards the centre.
As a motorcycle long distance traveller I have always noticed them dimming their lights when they noticed me. Nobody else ever did that. I doff my helmet to these guys. Their owners really slave drive them making them do trips when they should be resting and its no wonder that most of the accidents happen because of drowsiness.
What i have for the Indian Trucker is not just admiration but full on respect. Hope your work conditions and the road conditions improve!
jazzrockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 22:27   #95
BHPian

During the 80s, the truckers were the ones one had to watch out at especially during night drives, (Since, this is about truckers on the highway I am limiting it to just that, we all know there are retards that have just graduated from a hired bicycle and holding the wheel of every commercial vehicle, doing runabouts around or shunting a few kms to and from a city). Over the years, I have seen a lot of change in the attitude, the driving style and the speeds. I read an article a few years back, the Ashok Leyland training school in naamakal has contributed quite a bit. I have had guys who were driving trucks drive our car. (as a kid drivers were heros and they usually had to share all they had learnt in all their service ). They have of course given a lot of good inputs.

Yes, I do think these days the truckers are better. Its the bus drivers that one has to watchout for.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Well folks all that this tells me is the we have got so used to illegal and dangerous driving that we not only condone it but also encourage it.

No wonder we have the (if not one of) highest accident rate in the World.
Sgiitk,

I have been following this thread very closely.

Its just that the guys here are trying to tell what truckers do is " WAY OF LIFE" in INDIA. Nobody would want to promote illegal or dangerous driving, i am sure.

i am confident that somewhere , deep down inside you, you would also accept this fact of the truckers driving on the extreme right on the highways. i am sure, even truckers wouldnt want to do it, but are forced to do it due to prevailing situations on INDIAN highway.

Picture this "you are driving your civic on the highway following a truck being driven by a stubborn and adamant driver who will not give way for you to overtake from right and you will not overtake from left" well, where do you think it will all end ???

Things work like this in INDIA, lets accept it & carry on.

are in our country, so be it.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 22nd December 2010 at 14:17.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:19   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

@nandans2005: Do we have an option.

Once due to the silly trucker my Accent came to grief. The fellow insisted on sticking to the right (on NH2-GQ) for over 2km. Finally, I tired to overtake from the left. All of a sudden he decided to swerve left. Now there was a cyclist on the shoulder, and I had only two options hit the cyclist or let the trucker hit me.

If you think the trucker way is the way to drive start a campaign to change the rules of the road.

I did not see any response to my comment, that we have the highest accident rate in the world. Let us not try and justify a WRONG practice.

I may add that they are infinitely better than tempo and bus drivers!

Last edited by sgiitk : 22nd December 2010 at 15:21.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:32   #98
BHPian

Apropos safe driving: I have long held the view that the safest maneuver is the one expected by other road users. The first time I drove in Pune (IIRC in the mid 90s), I was a bit slow, keeping a lookout for the turn I'd located on my map -- and also watching the rear view mirrors -- on a 2+2 lane divided road. When a car closed up behind me, I switched to the left lane (Bombay habits), but so did the other driver! I reduced speed further to allow him to pass in the right lane, which he did, but not without giving me a really annoyed glare. After that, I noticed that most overtaking in Pune was by the left, against all rules, but it works for those accustomed to it (don't know if things have changed more recently, I haven't been to Pune for years).

Rash driving is more about doing the unexpected than about breaking rules.

Just my 0.02, and partly off topic for this thread.

db
Darryl.Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:13   #99
BHPian

I completely agree from you and from my experience I can easily say that all long route truckers are very safe and good highway drivers where as the main problem is with the mini truck and big tempo drivers in the city and small state highways....Regular National highway drivers are very good and they have years of experience behind them.
np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
@nandans2005: Do we have an option.
I tired to overtake from the left. All of a sudden he decided to swerve left. Now there was a cyclist on the shoulder, and I had only two options hit the cyclist or let the trucker hit me.

If you think the trucker way is the way to drive start a campaign to change the rules of the road.

I did not see any response to my comment, that we have the highest accident rate in the world. Let us not try and justify a WRONG practice.

I may add that they are infinitely better than tempo and bus drivers!
Well Sgiitk,

i understand now why you hate overtaking from left. It should have been a bitter experience or rather scary one. You have not mentioned, what happened finally?

I drive thrice a month on NH7, which in my opinion is the most dangerous highway. You get guys driving and coming straight to you on your lane to the extreme right with no notice whatsover. How do you think you would react to a situation like this, when you dont have the option of going to the left lane which is occupied by a slow moving vehicle like a tractor. You cant shift lane to the right, since there is divider.

I never said that the trucker way is the right way of driving. I am saying what all the guys have said. The truckers dont do it because they fancy it, but are forced to do it due to prevailing situation on the highways. Its not happening here, i have seen it happening abroad too, FYI.

I dont fancy campaigning for Changing policies, rules or amendments to the constitution. There are better people for doing this, i guess.

Well, what do you want me to comment on the accidents rates, Its a fact and everybody knows it.

Nobody is trying to justify a wrong practice nor will this practice die here in INDIA. This is how it is, lets not fancy the dream of bringing the rules of foreign land here. This is INDIA & its going be like like until a ground sweeping revolution happens.

Lets not debate on a thing like this when we have larger issues like spectrum scams that are damaging INDIA'S image in the world. I would suggest you to think of campaigning for the elimination of corruption & scams instead ?

I wouldnt mind or even guys out here wouldnt mind joining you in this.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 22nd December 2010 at 22:41.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:37   #101
BHPian

Not all the truck drivers drive bad nor all are saints. Most of the long distance trucks are driven by responsible drivers. They do take adequate rest, and most do not make rash maneouvres. However, there are quite a few unruly elements in local lorry clubs. Sand trucks, tippers carrying metal, empty lorries etc are the main culprits.

Some times we do feel the truck in front of us are choking us but as they chug loads, they do take time to gain higher speeds or come to the left lane after completing overtake.

One of the most irksome habit of the truckers is many come on in their right lanes while overtaking even if they spot smaller vehicles (even other trucks) to complete the overtaking, forcing the opposite coming vehicle off the road. Some truckers may be intentionally doing so but many do so as they have enough momentum at that point to complete overtaking. Any slowdown means they have to languish behind for considerable time.

Also, very few truckers slow down because of the oncoming headlight focus. This could be because they sit high up from where they have higher visibility, and because many are experienced. Compare this with many city dwellers who go occasionally on highways during nights who slow down whenever there is a vehicle coming in opposite direction, come upto the median line or going to the extreme left, and start gaining acceleration as soon as the opposite vehicle passes. It is a nightmare to be behind such vehicles.

As I have said, not all are saints nor are all rogues.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 02:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
Apropos safe driving: I have long held the view that the safest maneuver is the one expected by other road users. The first time I drove in Pune (IIRC in the mid 90s), I was a bit slow, keeping a lookout for the turn I'd located on my map -- and also watching the rear view mirrors -- on a 2+2 lane divided road. When a car closed up behind me, I switched to the left lane (Bombay habits), but so did the other driver! I reduced speed further to allow him to pass in the right lane, which he did, but not without giving me a really annoyed glare. After that, I noticed that most overtaking in Pune was by the left, against all rules, but it works for those accustomed to it (don't know if things have changed more recently, I haven't been to Pune for years).

Rash driving is more about doing the unexpected than about breaking rules.

Just my 0.02, and partly off topic for this thread.

db
Overtaking from the left is prevalent in UP too. Gets pretty confusing for visiting outstation people.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 06:36   #103
BHPian

The road conditions in India are very different from those on, say, the Autobahn; and it is unfair to blame truckers for the same. One truck driver has to go with a load far greater than what his engine can manage, so he has to drive slow. Another truck also is quite laden but has a better machine and can go faster hence overtakes the first truck. I see nothing wrong with this. The left-most lane is occupied by two-wheelers, bullock carts, and all sorts of other vehicles. A heavily laden truck cannot make quick maneuvers and cannot change speeds with jerks. Before pointing a finger at the truckers one should take a stint at a laden truck's wheel, to realize what it really means to drive this beast. I have found big cars (an even some smaller ones) to be the most impatient and most domineering on the roads.

I do not mind anybody overtaking me from either left or right. My request is that they should do it safely: do not come close to my vehicle and do not cut across my bow. And please indicate your intentions to me with your blinkers or your hands.
gostel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 09:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

It is not the highway truckers are gentleman. It is the load on truck which compels them to stick to lane as they cannot speed up. if you encounter any empty truck on highway then see their gentlemanship.

I just returned from Madurai - Rameshwaram trip to Bangalore on early morning of Monday at 2:00 AM. At night on NH7 number of truck population increases exponentially. There were many stretch with hilly roads and NHAI clearly put signboards "Heavy Vehicles compulsorily keep left" on those uphill roads. But two trucks with multi ton load going parallel to each other with 10KMPH speed. There are only two lanes and in 5 - 8 minutes traffic behind them build up as there was no space for overtake. I had no choice just wait so that one lane would become free. If those guys were gentleman then they would not have thought of overtaking and obeyed the NHAI signboards

There were many instances where trucks drifts to other lane and once you honk them then they correct themselves. They hate going on same lane or they sleep on steering?

I encountered many empty trucks and they were no less than car drivers who drift left and right lane without signal.

Almost 90% trucks would not have back lights which compels you keep you eye wide open to spot those dark menace.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 17:17   #105
BHPian

Default Terrible incident

Here is one incident relating to truck drive, sad though:

Truck driver refuses to pay bribe, beaten to death

Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote