Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th January 2011, 14:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Time spent in toll Plaza

We need to evolve to those super toll booth systems like they have in China, Europe and UK. Minimum fuss, minimum trouble, very quick indeed.

But we as a race are highly indisciplined and for a large part being "seekers of nirvana for the self", we tend to ride rough-shod over anyone who may be perceived to get in our way - thats why we notice people accelerating to cross the signal when the lights turn red or accelerating to get there first before the "other guy" at a toll booth or anywhere.

6 months ago while driving to Coimbatore, I remember chatting to a chap at one of the numerous toll booths on that route - somewhere near Salem. He was an elderly man and was manning the check gate and wearing a khaki security guard type uniform. He said one thing - "saar these days everyone is always in a hurry burry" - that has stuck in my mind since then because it afforded me an opportunity to smile at the time because of the way it was uttered and the simple, inherent truth in it.

Same goes for queues while one is a pedestrian.

Best is to take it easy and wait one's turn. Less Blood Pressure problems that way.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th January 2011 at 14:39.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 17:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

One must keep in mind that almost toll contractors are local goons and represent vested political interests, and the least professional or objective in their approach to running toll gates.

Toll gates are ignored by the powers-that-be and it is we the hapless who are fleeced despite having paid income taxes, sales taxes, excise duties, service taxes and what not, all ostensibly for general infrastructure.

Most toll gates do not appear to think that when a customer pays toll, he expects not only good roads but also faster passage. The amount of time you waste in toll gates cannot compensate fully for the shorter duration of travel on the new roads. In ultimate analysis, I find that the time savings are getting reduced day by day (as traffic piles up at toll gates) and the only gains for us are probably in the form of better roads compared to earlier times.

In States like Maharashtra, toll roads run by State corporations like MSRDC do not follow national road policy parameters and their toll fee fixation appears to be arbitrary and out of sync with what is charged by NHAI.

When we pay for a service, we expect it to be as efficient as possible, and there cannot be tolerance to old men taking their own sweet time - and following inefficient processes to dispense tickets - to let you through.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 19:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.prabhu1 View Post
3. Krishnagiri is a confluence of traffic merging from all over - Chennai, rest of TN, all the Kerala traffic heading to Bangalore
This is the same case for Attibele toll also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.prabhu1 View Post
But you're kidding me if you say Attibele is an efficiently managed toll plaza. Attibele is one of the slowest toll booths to pass through. I was on that sector on 2nd Jan and I spent quality time at both Krishnagiri and Attibele.
I am sure you could have spent lesser time in Attibele.
In Attibele the max time spent is around 15-20 mins during festival weekend or regular weekend or long weekend.

Also in Attibele there is only one person who collects the cash, prints the number and give you change also.

In Kgiri 2 people involved in this process which is a reason for increase in time also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
My Brother-in-law once made a car to pay double the toll for his car heroism.. Bravo !!!
What has happened? Can you elaborate?
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post

What has happened? Can you elaborate?
Ok.. This is was i heard from my BIL and sister.

This happened in krishnagiri toll gate couple of months back. There was this car with 4 guys and a driver cutting across lanes when most people were waiting to pass the toll. Seems, what frustrated everyone is the rudeness of the driver who drove his car like threatening others to give way to him. Most people were giving signs & shouting at him, but in-spite of that, he continued doing that. Then entered my BiL

If i could remember correctly what he said - my BiL was just before that car and right in the toll gate booth. He got out of the car and shouted at toll booth security who was quietly watching the whole scene that "Unless you guys pull him out of the queue, get the keys of the car/make him wait for 1 hour and make him pay double the toll amount, i am not taking my car".

Then the manager came down to to the toll both and got to know that nothing can be done since there was a huge rush. Immediately, the manager made him pay double the toll, then pulled the car out of the queue, got the keys and went back.

Though, my BiL was not sure when the manager gave the keys back - he is happy that at least he taught right lessons.
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:35   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@sbala. I wish your brother in law was here in Pune in Khed Shivapur toll gate where a Police van was terrorising all and cutting across lanes, pushing every one off during peak holiday season with crowd piling up on toll booth.
The mood inside the van was very relaxed with a couple of cops with khaki pants and just Banians sleeping and a couple more sitting chewing paan and spitting off the window.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 21:17   #36
BHPian

@sbala - Good one. Thanks for sharing. It is good that toll plaza guys implemented it
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 13:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I am sure you could have spent lesser time in Attibele.
In Attibele the max time spent is around 15-20 mins during festival weekend or regular weekend or long weekend.
Like I said, you must have been at Attibele during a fairly lean period. They are the slowest, most inefficient, lethargic toll plaza I have seen in a long time.

15-20 minutes I have spent close to an hour there
gopal.prabhu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:27   #38
BHPian

Why don’t they use a system , where toll collector (2 or 3 in no/. ) go to each car and collect toll when there is a long queue. Just like a bus conductor.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Why don’t they use a system , where toll collector (2 or 3 in no/. ) go to each car and collect toll when there is a long queue. Just like a bus conductor.
Lol! this actually is a good way but, most tolls use computer generated receipts hence the drivers have to stop at the tool booths. If they have a receipt gun/hand held printer in their hands, it will be much simpler. But I am not sure how many would 'care' for other's time and actually implement this.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th January 2011 at 21:35.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 07:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Time spent in toll Plaza

How about pre paid toll cards of suitable denominations say 100, 500, 1K maybe. Should be relatively easy to use swipe cards at the tolls instead of hogging the toll lanes for minutes together.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote