Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th January 2011, 11:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Palio MJD with broken suspension strut is still driveable?!!

Yesterday I had a bad experience while driving from Mangalore to Bangalore. After the frustrating drive in the ghat section of NH 48, I crossed Sakleshpur and the road was a breeze to drive. So I was doing 100 kmph constantly and all of a sudden, there was a thud sound on the left side. I stopped the car to check.I had gone into a deep pothole (in the middle of an otherwise neat road) and the front left rim was bent. I didn't see any other damage, so I drove on. There was a horrible clicking sound from front left, so I stopped to check again. Still, nothing visible. With Fiat's hotline, I got the number of the service centre in Hassan (AutoMATRIX). So I took a left into Hassan city.
The roads in Hassan are worse than the NH 48's ghat section! Luckily, I knew some landmarks and managed to find AutoMATRIX service centre after driving about 15 km. The guys there put the car on the lift and then showed me that the suspension strut on the left had broken completely!!
I had to leave the car with them (as they had to get the spare part from their main branch in Mangalore) and take a cab. Cost me 2500 Rs.
Expected cost of repair is 7000 Rs.

I hope I have not damaged any other parts by driving the car on pathetic roads for 15 km with broken suspension :-(
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 12:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Palio MJD with broken suspension strut is still driveable?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
So I took a left into Hassan city.
The roads in Hassan are worse than the NH 48's ghat section! Luckily, I knew some landmarks and managed to find AutoMATRIX service centre after driving about 15 km. The guys there put the car on the lift and then showed me that the suspension strut on the left had broken completely!!
I had to leave the car with them (as they had to get the spare part from their main branch in Mangalore) and take a cab. Cost me 2500 Rs.
Expected cost of repair is 7000 Rs.

I hope I have not damaged any other parts by driving the car on pathetic roads for 15 km with broken suspension :-(
True. Roads in Hassan are in very pathetic state and it has been like that for some time now. Don't know if at all we'll see an improvement

Coming back to the incident, where exactly did you hit the pothole? Nowadays, these kind of potholes are creeping up on good surfaces, as if we are not battered by bad roads already. I hit a similar pothole last weekend on the Shimoga-Arsikere road. Luckily, there was no damage
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I drove through the shiradi ghat on 1st of Jan. There is literally no road there. We were lucky to just get away with some underbody scrapping.

Since the car is with the authorised service centre, get it checked for any further damage.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 17:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Coming back to the incident, where exactly did you hit the pothole?
I am not sure where exactly it happened. It was somewhere after Sakleshpur and about 3 KM before the first right turn into Hassan. There were no houses around, but only trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Since the car is with the authorised service centre, get it checked for any further damage.
Thanks for the hint :-). I just gave a call to the manager there and asked him to drive it around on the roads of Hassan. If the car doesn't break down there, it won't break down in the ghat section either ;-)
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote