Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 17:59   #16
BHPian
 
lordofgondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UP 16
Posts: 936
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
... but there are also many incidents where cops take you for a jolly ride.
+1 to that! There have been instances that I've heard of (and experienced one myself) when those darn cops try to get bribe (instead of giving a ticket) from you by threatening to combine the Dangerous Driving clause. Agreed, if one jumps when there is traffic movement, one deserves severe punishment. But what when you've jumped a yellow light which turned red by the time you crossed the intersection, as happened in my case. What to do; bribe or what?
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 18:33   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,206
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

There should not be any problem at all, as long as your clear the fine

To make payment easy, you can register on Bangalore one and pay the fine immediately, via your credit card. It first shows you if there is a fine applicable against your name.

You never know where you jump the gun. Alwasy good to keep checking the Bangalore one or traffic pol website to see if there are any pending fines. If nothing there, then no worries. Just drive on
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 21:18   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
But what when you've jumped a yellow light which turned red by the time you crossed the intersection, as happened in my case. What to do; bribe or what?
Not sure about the bribe part. But yellow means slow down. Yellow is to warn that red is around, so one can slow down to come to a stop conveniently. Unfortunately, most of them try to speed up when they see yellow so that they can cross before it turns red.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 22:58   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,608
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Not sure about the bribe part. But yellow means slow down. Yellow is to warn that red is around, so one can slow down to come to a stop conveniently. Unfortunately, most of them try to speed up when they see yellow so that they can cross before it turns red.
I couldnt agree more about the yellow/ amber part. In all Indian cities I have been to, it is an indicator for people to rev up further to speed across; especially as we all know that it is a few seconds for the lights to turn green for the other side(s). I have been in a couple of situations where I have been berated by auto guys for stopping while it was still amber. One needs to be extra mindful of any other vehicles tailing you who may be speeding up (and unfortunately may bump into you, if you happen to stop)
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 23:11   #20
BHPian
 
vigneshnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 140
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

I always come across this dilemma - should i jump the signal / sneak out / trAil or wait till the signal tuns green. The trouble is when someone behind is honking restlessly to push you ahead. In bangalore this is heightened because of the cab drivers in hoardes.
Normally I have waited for the signal to turn green (some early morning deserted roads - i take chance - still I look around). Even my wifey calls me " fattu " - but i strongly believe in following rules.

Preventive safety rather than "following rules" have been my point of view.
vigneshnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 23:23   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,555
Thanked: 2,501 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
The trouble is when someone behind is honking restlessly to push you ahead. In bangalore this is heightened because of the cab drivers in hoardes.
Oh, I think I have been the subject of a huge no. of abuses n slangs just because I don't move my vehicle until Green comes up. What is irritating is how cab drivers/2-wheelers will line up even after the Zebra crossing just to be the first ones to leave. In the process they will block the oncoming traffic.

Cab drivers particularly cannot bear someone in front of them, even if it means at a Red-light.

If the honking is incessant, I just move my vehicle a little bit forward so they can change lanes and do as they please. They face all sorts of faces but I just look the other way.


I am sure no cop or passerby will come to my aid if things turn ugly but you gotta stand up for the rules.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 21:34   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore.
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
He notes my number while I keep pleading innocence.
MX6,

Well mate, this is what Karthik has written, so i replied to this.

About your experience of driving in the US or where ever, i dont have much to say in this, since i would be commenting on the way you are driving on the street.

i would like to just say here, that while i am crossing a signal, i am always watching the signal & the rear of the car in front of me, so that i dont end up in a mess.

What other choice does one have after being caught in the false act? one has to accept and move on.

@Kartik,

Truth, when mentioned or pointed out is always bitter, though sweet on the long run.

Try to take in the right sense. you will never repeat a mistake.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 12:13   #23
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 139
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
@Kartik,

Truth, when mentioned or pointed out is always bitter, though sweet on the long run.

Try to take in the right sense. you will never repeat a mistake.
@ Nandan Yes buddy completely agree no second thoughts on that , the querry I had was regarding the cop and hence the post which everyone replied to somehow you missed, your mistake?

@everyone
Well checked the site since last two days and no fine against me.

Cheers !!
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 13:45   #24
NFS
BHPian
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Does Chennai Police have such an online system for paying fines? Just curious to see if my car listed some where (though I jumped the signal only once, in a very similar situation (of this thread), I paid 100rs fine with receipt on the spot)
NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 13:51   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore.
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

well karthik,

I didnt miss your query. I purposely didnt bother to reply specifically to your query, since so many guys had already helped you out by giving lots of info.

My intend was to just make you realize that these are mistakes on the street which can be avoided. I for one wouldn't ever want to talk to these morons managing the roads and signal. I feel disgraced personally. Not anything more. Its an irony that nobody likes, when pointed out a mistake done by he/she. If taken in the right sense, one would avoid taking to these guys.

I now understand that its my mistake in trying to put some sense, somehow you missed it

Dont expect the department to be so efficient. Keep checking the web, it may be posted after few weeks, dont miss it.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 21st January 2011 at 13:54.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 16:49   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,206
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Well there is another option

Walk up to a traffic cop. Tell him you think you gunned a few signals, ask him to check his blackberry. If he says there are fines against your name. Thank him and take leave ;-) And be quick.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:01   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

i got a speeding ticket last week on the elevated expressway. there was hardly any traffic. I was doing 90 which is 10 km over the speed limit. the interceptor jeep was parked there and i was copped fair and square.
walking over to the jeep I found there to be a long queue. atleast 6 people in front including a couple of small trucks.
waiting for my turn i was beckoned to the rear of the jeep by the cop manning the laptop. he showed me the picture of my vehicle and the recorded speed which was 90kmph. then he stretched out his hand - knowing the fine was Rs 300 I gave him a Rs 500 note. He gave back rs 300, grinned and motioned to me that I should go off.
I said no, but I d rather wait for the ticket and returned Rs 100 to him.
He looked at me as though I was completely NUTS and muttered something to the senior cop in front.
that senior cop asked me to come over. I went and handed over my license. He peered at it, peered at me then shrugged and entered the details in the blackberry, waited for the net connection to work, printed the ticket and gave it to me along with my license. all the while we hadnt spoken a word but he looked at me very strangely.
I took my ticket, my license and the change, thanked them and buzzed off!
they must have thought I was a weirdo for having passed up the chance to get away with a lesser fine and no ticket instead of paying up properly.
for what it is worth i prefer to go the right way.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd January 2011 at 08:02.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:50   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i got a speeding ticket last week on the elevated expressway. there was hardly any traffic. I was doing 90 which is 10 km over the speed limit. the interceptor jeep was parked there and i was copped fair and square.
walking over to the jeep I found there to be a long queue. atleast 6 people in front including a couple of small trucks.
waiting for my turn i was beckoned to the rear of the jeep by the cop manning the laptop. he showed me the picture of my vehicle and the recorded speed which was 90kmph. then he stretched out his hand - knowing the fine was Rs 300 I gave him a Rs 500 note. He gave back rs 300, grinned and motioned to me that I should go off.
I said no, but I d rather wait for the ticket and returned Rs 100 to him.
He looked at me as though I was completely NUTS and muttered something to the senior cop in front.
that senior cop asked me to come over. I went and handed over my license. He peered at it, peered at me then shrugged and entered the details in the blackberry, waited for the net connection to work, printed the ticket and gave it to me along with my license. all the while we hadnt spoken a word but he looked at me very strangely.
I took my ticket, my license and the change, thanked them and buzzed off!
they must have thought I was a weirdo for having passed up the chance to get away with a lesser fine and no ticket instead of paying up properly.
for what it is worth i prefer to go the right way.
You did the right thing. For all you know, they would've pocketed your 'off-the-books' fine and logged a ticket against your name online later.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:20   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
I told him its my fault was thinking about work which I really was, no argument, no exchange of anything.


I would like to make that extra effort to clear any fines against me and get this off my back rather than repent later. Any thoughts ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
MX6,

Well mate, this is what Karthik has written, so i replied to this.

@Kartik,

Truth, when mentioned or pointed out is always bitter, though sweet on the long run.

Try to take in the right sense. you will never repeat a mistake.
Nandans2005. When you read the sentence where he pleads innocence, I read the other two which he has mentioned as well that he owns up the mistake and he's willing to pay for it. Infact more prominently! Cut him some slack pal.

Infact that's what I mentioned that he knows he's in the wrong.

I'd plead innocense too if I'm docked for an inadverdant mistake, because the legal system is framed on that bench mark - Innocent till proven guilty. But I wouldn't cover it completely. Just like how Karthik has mentioned above here, which I've quoted!

It's better to plead innocence rather than going and accepting that you've done all the mistake to a cop who would just be another corrupt person on a traffic light waiting to milk an errant driver. Come to think of it, how many of us encountered good cops? Pleading innocence to a corrupt cop doesn't mean that someone is trying to establish innocence. Not in a (il)legal set up like India.

Last edited by MX6 : 22nd January 2011 at 21:21.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 00:20   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Signal Jumped

Mumbai Traffic Police also has an online system in place.

If you are in a hurry and you skip a signal - a cop comes in front asking you to stop, all you have to do is to have a RS 50 /100 note ready, slow down so the cop comes to your window and collects the fine...and off you go. Simple. All this happens in slow motion.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Jumped on the bandwagon capshai Introduce yourself 3 8th March 2010 08:29
Has chevrolet india jumped the gun a bit too soon? rahul_intlad The Indian Car Scene 10 20th April 2007 18:07
My next job in this weekend clean turn signal ECM Modifications & Accessories 2 6th June 2006 23:06
Guy questions ACP on breaking signal Conan Street Experiences 37 15th May 2006 14:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks