Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Street Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:33   #1
BHPian

Default ‘Camera traps' in (Thiruvananthapuram) city to nab traffic violators

Quote:
Thiruvananthapuram: The city police will install automated cameras linked to speed sensors to take snapshots of vehicles which over-speed and violate traffic signal lights.

S.P. Gopakumar, project manager, Kerala State Electronics Development Corporation, says the indigenously developed gadget integrates vehicle speed detection radars, night vision enabled cameras with zoom-in capability, powerful flash lights and traffic signal violation sensors in a single device.

The gadgets will be installed at 30 junctions initially, mainly those near busy pedestrian crossings.

The device automatically captures traffic violations and relays the images and information to the police control room through a secure cable network.
The Hindu : Kerala / Thiruvananthapuram News : ‘Camera traps' in city to nab traffic violators

The official inauguration was today (Jan 22).
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd May 2012, 14:55   #2
BHPian

Default Re: ‘Camera traps' in (Thiruvananthapuram) city to nab traffic violators

Do we have a list/thread for locations of such cameras in and around the city?

I noticed two new cameras, one near CRPF camp, Pallippuram and one opposite AJ Collage, Thonnakkal. Just wondering if the camera network is being expanded (even outside the city) or just that I failed to notice them before.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ‘Camera traps' in (Thiruvananthapuram) city to nab traffic violators

I dont think one should use a forum to discuss the location as it would negate the point of having the cams

Just FYI, there are more on NH and they have done a good job with the placement.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 00:33   #4
BHPian

Saw this in facebook today, not sure if its really a notice from Police or fake.

Translation :It has been observed that some one was driving the two wheeler KL04X1496 owned by you, without wearing a helmet on 16/3 at Alappuzha town. We have taken a photo as proof. You should pay a fine before 5/5/12 or there will be legal action against you.
By : Alappuza traffic police
Attached Thumbnails
‘Camera traps' in (Thiruvananthapuram) city to nab traffic violators-389322_354084741316890_177292605662772_1000504_957198143_n.jpg  

arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 10:14   #5
BHPian

That may well be true. There were news reports a few weeks ago about police deploying teams with cameras with the specific task of capturing helmetless riders; though that was in TVM Rural (Varkala, Kallambalam police stations being specifically named).
Old 27th July 2012, 00:22   #6
BHPian

It may be fake. I have been clicked at thonakkal for about four times. No actions so far.
junaid12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 09:57   #7
BHPian

I have received similar postcard from Trivandrum Traffic station for not wearing helmet on Museum road on a particular day. It was was my previous bike I sold to a colleague which he was using without changing to his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
It may be fake. I have been clicked at thonakkal for about four times. No actions so far.
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Junaid, I was under the same impression. This one is at the KU campus gate...

I too have been snapped by the Thonnakkal camera, and I have started saving.
Attached Thumbnails
‘Camera traps' in (Thiruvananthapuram) city to nab traffic violators-scan0012.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 27th July 2012 at 11:59.
sandeepmdas is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 12:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Wow! Thats some serious stuff out there! Fantastic job by KL police.

I sincerely wish every state and city implements these facilities and maintain them for long meticoulously.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 12:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Thanks Sandeep for your information. That means, me too will be recieving the notice soon. I have been flicked for about three times. So, in short I will end up paying 900.
Old 27th July 2012, 13:16   #11
BHPian

What will happen when people know where the cameras are located and not cross the speed limit? The number of violations will come down and the investment will not be recovered.

Kerala should start with stricter license issue norms and crackdown on idiots who don't know how to dip their headlights, use hazard lights in foggy weather and park only where there is blind curve.

These new gadgets just encourage harassment because the cops are assigned targets, and they are on a permanent power trip. Its quite irritating to drive in Kerala because the best average speed you can achieve by breaking the speed limit is 50kmph. From Bangalore to central Kerala you cover 2/3 of the distance in half the time, the other half is like driving 200km on the ORR in bangalore
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 15:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
What will happen when people know where the cameras are located and not cross the speed limit? The number of violations will come down and the investment will not be recovered.

Kerala should start with stricter license issue norms and crackdown on idiots who don't know how to dip their headlights, use hazard lights in foggy weather and park only where there is blind curve.

These new gadgets just encourage harassment because the cops are assigned targets, and they are on a permanent power trip. Its quite irritating to drive in Kerala because the best average speed you can achieve by breaking the speed limit is 50kmph. From Bangalore to central Kerala you cover 2/3 of the distance in half the time, the other half is like driving 200km on the ORR in bangalore
I completely agree with avira. The roads, especially highways in kerala are pathetic for anything on wheels. Rural/ghats are much better than highways. Driving with speeds above 60kmph contionously for ten minutes is next to impossible.
Old 27th July 2012, 16:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree with avira. The roads, especially highways in kerala are pathetic for anything on wheels. Rural/ghats are much better than highways. Driving with speeds above 60kmph contionously for ten minutes is next to impossible.
I agree with the NH part in Kerala. What about the MC road? Also recently there have been plenty of improvements in maintaining roads. We should give credit where it needs.
Regards
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 19:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Number of violations coming down - that's the whole point, isn't it? I don't think police/govt are looking at it as a money-making tool - atleast they shouldn't be.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 20:16   #15
BHPian

Completely agree with Starrysky. Although I was at the receiving end here I must say here that I totally disagree with views of avira_tk.

- No one has harassed me. The trap shot me on 10 May and I received the letter almost 60 days later. Only then I realized...
- I can remit the amount in any SBT branch and I have three of them in my home town.
- Even after the receipt I still have time to pay the fine. The last date is 30 Aug. That is, I have an allotted 110 days just to pay the fine from date of offence to last date.
- The enforced speedlimit at that point is a decent, sesnible one, 75kmph. Several parts in Kerala you can see absurd limits painted on like "20" or "25".
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote