Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2011, 12:13   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Story of Pajero Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
BTW, I saw a purple pajero while cruising on old airport road yesterday in Bangalore. I had a KA registration. I've never seen a purple pajero before in Bangalore. Where do you think the car is? UP or Mumbai or someplace else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Dude, there are many purple pajeros out there. Come on!

And unless you have the engine/chassis numbers, you can't do much.

To be honest even I have never seen a purple pajero ever apart from the pic in this thread.But as Driv3r said its not that simple.But I guess Gtabombay's purple pajero might have now become part of some policital party's daily ride.

When I had taken my safari to a local mechanic and was discussing about the threat of theft to SUVs he mentioned that mostly SUVs are stolen and end up being seen on campaigning drives.So everyone including the thief are protected by the political class.

Sometimes I wonder if we all end up doing a Rang de Basanti, then we would be gifting our children a wonderful India to live in.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:55   #137
Senior - BHPian

Well, for the record, I am currently in Coimbatore, and have seen quite a number of purple Pajeros myself!

And do you think a thief of that caliber, would drive around the Pajero with the same colour? Even after knowing that he is been tracked?
Old 6th February 2011, 13:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT, but out of curiosity. Have seen this questions couple of times in the same thread but no reply. Is it possible to start a vehicle equipped with engine immobilizers so easily and take off? Iam not sure if Pajero has immobilizers, but asking about the vehicles which has. Since I was thinking in those cars ECU will detect another/ fake key is inserted and wont start the engine.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 6th February 2011 at 13:20. Reason: Textual error
Old 6th February 2011, 13:39   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Slightly OT, but out of curiosity. Have seen this questions couple of times in the same thread but no reply. Is it possible to start a vehicle equipped with engine immobilizers so easily and take off? Iam not sure if Pajero has immobilizers, but asking about the vehicles which has. Since I was thinking in those cars ECU will detect another/ fake key is inserted and wont start the engine.
The question has already been answered.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2233626 (Story of Pajero Theft)

Immobilizers are just deterrents.Theres a hack to everything now
Old 6th February 2011, 13:50   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
The question has already been answered.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2233626 (Story of Pajero Theft)

Immobilizers are just deterrents.Theres a hack to everything now
Its pretty hard to bypass the immobilisers specially the ones with the moving codes like on the high end cars , audi, merc etc. However you could bypass them by hot wiring only. The thief could sell the car with the immobiliser bypassed and the buyer would never know.

The thief shall always go for the easy prey. The higher the number of security features, lesser the chance the the thief will even try. and make sure that all your security gadgets are visible. Some cars has flashing red LEDs clearly visible to show that they have an immobilizer active. You could also use a dummy as a deterrent.
Old 6th February 2011, 13:56   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Some cars has flashing red LEDs clearly visible to show that they have an immobilizer active. You could also use a dummy as a deterrent.
This is very true.I have noticed that when I start my bullet, my safari's autocop starts raising an alarm just from the vibration it received from the thump of the bullet.Though its a bit embarrassing for me.But safe nonetheless.
Old 6th February 2011, 20:17   #142
BHPian

gtabombay: This is one thread I've been following so closely that the finger tips are swollen because I pressed f5 countless times to see if there is any new post. Being on the tail of a criminal of this sort takes a lot of courage and determination. Salute to you
The less said about the pain that you've been through the better.
I've always thought a visible deterrent such as a steering lock (I mean the rod-type that goes over the steering) would be strong deterrent. I was given one for free by the Arizona cops when I brought in my car for a VIN-etching programme they had organized to minimize car thefts. Since then I have made it a point to use it every single time I leave my car no matter how short in time the visit would be or how close in distance I'm going to be from my car.
Now that you have done a lot of research, how would you rate the worthiness (preventing / deterring thieves) of such external rod-type steering locks?
Last but not the least, I've no more nails in my finger to bite; so can you post the remainder of the events in one go (not in one post necessarily)?
Old 6th February 2011, 21:01   #143
Senior - BHPian

thats a sad story to hear, you had to suffer so many losses, monetary, time, efforts in chasing the kingpin, while, it should be done by the Police.

Hope people from media catch this story and push this story taking interviews of these cops.

Why dont you send this story to Sansani (programme on Star News) ? They have a free number, I have seen that they follow up stories and even will chase cops.
Old 7th February 2011, 01:45   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
gtabombay: This is one thread I've been following so closely that the finger tips are swollen because I pressed f5 countless times to see if there is any new post. Being on the tail of a criminal of this sort takes a lot of courage and determination. Salute to you
Thanks for following this thread and I really appreciate your comments. I will try to keep it updated.

Even as I post these messages I am waiting for the latest call details and my guys are on the lookout. I really agree with you that I should not be doing the job of the police. I have met officers from many police stations, but I see a marked lack of interest. If I come across one man who has determination and the capability for doing this job, I will let him take over so that I can relax.

I don't have the confidence in the cops because every time I have given them some crucial information, it has somehow got leaked to the target.

The audacity of this man and his utter disregard for the Mumbai police force is astounding. He is stealing the vehicles from the most influential sections of Mumbai and the police are letting him operate with total impunity. This thief, who was a mere pimp not long ago (dropping bar girls and prostitutes as a taxi driver) is now terrorizing Mumbai since last 6 years. Once he has even instructed his driver to topple the police vehicle chasing him. I sometimes feel that the police are scared to go after him.

Let's hope that he will be caught soon, or soon you will see him as an MLA/MP/Minister from UP, the way he is building his political base in Prathabhgarh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Dude, there are many purple pajeros out there. Come on!

And unless you have the engine/chassis numbers, you can't do much.
Once the engine and chassis numbers are given the chisel treatment you can never prove in court that it is your vehicle. You only have to go the Police HQ (opposite Crawford Market) to see the number of vehicles rotting there because the owners are not able prove their ownership.

The RTO records are neither centralised nor computerised, and many an officer turns a blind eye when reissuing a new registration number. According to some cops, the RTO is really to blamed for this sorry state of the affairs.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th February 2011 at 08:35.
Old 7th February 2011, 02:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So GTA: Your tale has not reached its ending. Did you find out how you had become his victim? Was it just owning a pajero made you one?

Was approaching tv media any good? Sometimes they can open some avenues which would be tough to penetrate.

PS: Yours is the third pajero which has been lifted and reported in this thread. Am sure the number of people considering buying this SUV will reject it for the love thieves have for it.

Your comment on MLA/MP is scary. Hope the law gets hold of him.
Old 7th February 2011, 02:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

wow, this is a real dark underbelly that we are seeing here; nothing short of movie script material I must say! As earlier, I wish you good luck in your quest for your vehicle and hope that someone somewhere has enough integrity to help you. Sadly it does show how we are literally going to the dogs as a people
Old 7th February 2011, 10:27   #147
Senior - BHPian

gta, very sad experience, after the loss the agony one has to go through am not sure how a commoner can handle this.

Salute the spirit in which you have taken up on this case, disgrace that we have a impotent police system!

My question after more then a month do you still think getting the car back in good shape a possibility?
Old 7th February 2011, 10:54   #148
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your loss buddy. But your single handed determination in going behind the thief is an eye opener for most of us who have become used to the "Chalta Hai" attitude. I am not sure if I would be able to do something like this if I face a situation like this but as a tribute to your spirit I will no more be indifferent.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:00   #149
BHPian

Gtabombay, hats off to you. It is almost impossible to find someone as tenacious as you these days and you have maintained a very level headed & sensible stance in your posts. Most people I know (and I suspect I would also be guilty in this case) would have lost their cool & ended up blaming our corrupt system & carried a grudge against such criminals and the police while badmouthing them for years to come.

Kudos for informing the others about not just your experiences but also about the modus operandi of these criminals & possible solutions to avoid theft. I hope you do get your car back soon with the help of the cops.

My mind keeps going back to a similar thread on a popular Indian biking forum which has also served to open the eyes of many bikers on how criminals operate and hence people are very careful these days.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:43   #150
BHPian

There was one number in the call list from December -January which caught my attention because of the very long call durations ( half an hour and more) and the large number of calls it was getting. This number was located in Chembur Colony where many bar girls are staying. The number belonged to some one called Nisha. On enquiry it was found that there is such a girl working in Madhuban Bar. Madhuban Bar( Vashi sector 17 ) is a place where lot of females in garish costumes and heavy make up stand around strutting their stuff while their patrons are having their highly overpriced drinks amid loud music.

So we focussed on such a number in the new Karnataka Vodafone call list, and sure enough we found another Karnataka Vodafone number which was getting long calls many times a day. This number was also roaming in Mumbai but activated from Karnataka. We also got the IMEI numbers of both phones from the Karnataka circle. Then we found the location of one number in Chembur Colony and the other mostly at Powai. So we were convinced at last that we were tracking the correct numbers.

Nasrat had gifted his item a Karnataka number to use and changed his residence from Belapur to Powai.

The call pattern on this number matched the earlier numbers with night time locations of Malabar Hill, and Juhu, Bandra.

He has changed his handsets and mobiles many times after that, but till this day we haven't lost him but we were unable actually locate his exact place of residence. This is one slippery character and we want to nab from his room itself, because when he is on the move it is just impossible.

He is definitely staying in Powai or Vikhroli.

That is the current status of this investigation. We are definitely after him in spite of all his efforts to shake us off.

I am happy for all the support I have got in this forum. I will keep you posted on the developments.

Last edited by gtabombay : 7th February 2011 at 19:54.
Closed Thread