Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 21st February 2011, 13:39   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Story of Pajero Theft

I read this right from page 1 to page 21 in one go and all I can say is that I am aghast. We seem to be living in 'lawless land'.

We had a Premier Padmini about 10 years ago for which we had a mechanical locking device which locked the steering wheel and the clutch. We used a nice big Godrej 8-lever lock to lock this device. It prevented the steering being turned and the clucth being pressed. Maybe that device will atleast delay the thieves if not prevent them from stealing. I mean if a guy can create a duplicate key for a Pajero / Scorpio in 10 minutes then surely a Godrej lock will be the least of his worries, eh? But then maybe you could use those new locks which have those computerised keys. The ones with many holes in random locations.

Is there no fool-proof way of preventing such incidenses?

On a lighter note, maybe we should just take out some major parts of the engine and carry them with us after parking.

@gtabombay. Hats off to you for diligiently following this up for so long. Really hope that you get your vehicle back, though it does seem to be lost battle at the moment.
Old 22nd February 2011, 02:08   #302
BHPian

So really sad after I read all the pages of this thread in one shot now. I hope something good happens out of all your trouble gtabombay.

There is no foolproof way to stop the theft of your car. If you thought you had an immobilizer and are safe, you are dead wrong, check these links:

Krishnaraj Enterprises - Immobilizer Key Duplication Services for Indian Automobiles
Krishnaraj Enterprises - FAQs

The above guy can duplicate any key in 15 minutes.

So the only 2 things that come to my mind are, never give the key to anyone. If its a valet parking, make valet sit with you and you drive there and park it, and come back. Thats what I do.

Never park your car in solitary places unattended. Thanks
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:07   #303
BHPian

@gtabombay: Really sorry to hear your loss. And kudos to you for following it up the way you have. I think its time to stop indulging police going forward with your plan (though I think thats what you intend to do). I really appreciate your courage and the diligence with which you are going on. (getting a new Pajero!). I wish you all the good luck, and will be looking forward to the last chapter in this story. For the needs of your customized anti-theft device, why don't you contact someone who design and implement electronic stuff? Your needs for sure can be met! You can have an additional trigger to your alarm system, for when the rear lock is pulled out. Need to implement something that rear lock that completes the circuit, and once pulled out, should enable trigger. a simple fuse on the rear lock should suffice, in my opinion. But then, I don't know much about how the car alarm system works. Again, best of luck for the future.
Old 24th February 2011, 22:44   #304
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Story of Pajero Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
There is no foolproof way to stop the theft of your car. If you thought you had an immobilizer and are safe, you are dead wrong, check these links:

Krishnaraj Enterprises - Immobilizer Key Duplication Services for Indian Automobiles
I skipped a heart'Beat', literally after going through the links . I had determined to get an GM approved immobilizer for my Beat that I am going to book soon. And still I'll go for the immobilizer.

But seriously this information is really scary for every car owner . The only silver line are the statements at the end of the page, if they follow same in true spirit. We can only prey that the thieves like Mr. N are not net savvy.

"Customers are requested to carry all their original keys when they come for spare key duplication.
Customers are required to carry the documents requested below:

1. RC Book Copy
2. Driving License
3. Insurance Papers

NOTE:
We strictly DO NOT undertake job work for any car having immobilizer until the customer provides us all the required documents.
"
Old 25th February 2011, 16:41   #305
BHPian

@gtabombay

I salute your effort and trust me many potential car theft victims will benefit from your advice and experience.

What i wanted to know is that after you get the insurance claim, doesn't the car, if recovered belong to the insurance company?

Anyways,Keep the updates coming and stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I skipped a heart'Beat', literally after going
But seriously this information is really scary for every car owner .
I really cannot agree more, this is really scary. if private companies have access to all cars and all brands i really don't see any manufacturer safe!

i though that thieves get their skills from manufacturers, how wrong i was!
private companies with such skills are an easier target for the thieves to learn from. Lets just pray for the best.
Old 25th February 2011, 17:29   #306
BHPian

Quote:
"Customers are requested to carry all their original keys when they come for spare key duplication.
Customers are required to carry the documents requested below:

1. RC Book Copy
2. Driving License
3. Insurance Papers

NOTE:
We strictly DO NOT undertake job work for any car having immobilizer until the customer provides us all the required documents."
I was their customer a year back, and yes, they do check and verify the RC Book, drivers license and the insurance copy. They even keep a xerox of the same as a copy with them.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:07   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
We can only prey that the thieves like Mr. N are not net savvy.
They need not be net savvy. Only thing they need is an insider in one of such shops.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:13   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
They need not be net savvy. Only thing they need is an insider in one of such shops.

How many of us really check who owns the shop!! Mr. N can be an owner of 1 such outlet!!
Old 25th February 2011, 18:40   #309
BHPian

@gtabombay, Kudos to your perseverence. Sincerely hope and pray you are able to recover your vehicle. You are not alone. Thete are many people out there who have lost their drives.

Delhi is not far behind in incidents of car theft and carjacking. I mention some incidents herebelow, which went unsolved and in some cases the claims have still to come through :

1. Hubby's new Yamaha ( 1 month old), gets stolen from beneath our window in August 1995. It was locked. This is West Delhi; Police Station is 250 m away. Claim settled after 1.5 yrs.

2. Colleague buys a new Maruti Esteem, takes family in the car for seeking blessings for the new vehicle to the local temple. Everyone goes inside to call the priest, returns to see empty space. Vehicle stolen, never recovered. This was January 2001. Place was GKII.

3. Boss at buys a new Bolero. Wants to show it to his family. Goes to Munirka. Has tea with his parents. Half an later the entire family comes out to go for dinner in the new vehicle. The Bolero is missing. Never found. This was January 2002.

4. Cousin buys a Cedia. Gets a handful of gizmos fixed in. Goes to Noida for a wedding. Car goes missing after the event, never to be found. This is late 2008.

5. Relatives come from Chandigarh to attend a wedding. 7 family cars are parked in the basement of a well known 5 star hotel in South Delhi. The newest one, a white Civic goes missing as the wedding is in progress. This is 2009.

6. An ex-Colleague, a lady CA with a well known Accounting firm is headed back home to Vasant Kunj after a tiring day at work in her one week old zen estilo. She is stopped near GD Goenka school by a man on the pretext of asking for directions. Another person appears and she is asked to get down. Her purse, mobile, laptop are taken by the thieves who drive away in her car. She was 6+ months pregnant and was in a bad shape for the next few days. She was thankful, as it could have been worse. The lady journalists murder was fresh in her mind. This was December 2009.

7. Colleague's wife is a teacher in a well known school in Noida. On a rainy day takes the car to school. Comes out in the afternoon to go home. The car is missing. It is a well maintained Zen. This happened in August 2010.

All these are real incidents which happened with real people. Registering of FIRs is yet another story altogether.
Old 25th February 2011, 19:06   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
@gtabombay, Kudos to your perseverence. Sincerely hope and pray you are able to recover your vehicle. You are not alone. Thete are many people out there who have lost their drives.

Delhi is not far behind in incidents of car theft and carjacking. I mention some incidents herebelow, which went unsolved and in some cases the claims have still to come through :

1. Hubby's new Yamaha ( 1 month old), gets stolen from beneath our window in August 1995. It was locked. This is West Delhi; Police Station is 250 m away. Claim settled after 1.5 yrs.

2. Colleague buys a new Maruti Esteem, takes family in the car for seeking blessings for the new vehicle to the local temple. Everyone goes inside to call the priest, returns to see empty space. Vehicle stolen, never recovered. This was January 2001. Place was GKII.

3. Boss at buys a new Bolero. Wants to show it to his family. Goes to Munirka. Has tea with his parents. Half an later the entire family comes out to go for dinner in the new vehicle. The Bolero is missing. Never found. This was January 2002.

4. Cousin buys a Cedia. Gets a handful of gizmos fixed in. Goes to Noida for a wedding. Car goes missing after the event, never to be found. This is late 2008.

5. Relatives come from Chandigarh to attend a wedding. 7 family cars are parked in the basement of a well known 5 star hotel in South Delhi. The newest one, a white Civic goes missing as the wedding is in progress. This is 2009.

6. An ex-Colleague, a lady CA with a well known Accounting firm is headed back home to Vasant Kunj after a tiring day at work in her one week old zen estilo. She is stopped near GD Goenka school by a man on the pretext of asking for directions. Another person appears and she is asked to get down. Her purse, mobile, laptop are taken by the thieves who drive away in her car. She was 6+ months pregnant and was in a bad shape for the next few days. She was thankful, as it could have been worse. The lady journalists murder was fresh in her mind. This was December 2009.

7. Colleague's wife is a teacher in a well known school in Noida. On a rainy day takes the car to school. Comes out in the afternoon to go home. The car is missing. It is a well maintained Zen. This happened in August 2010.

All these are real incidents which happened with real people. Registering of FIRs is yet another story altogether.
This story and Sam's story indicates that the thief usually should have been following you and it looks like the handiwork of someone at the dealership in case of new car thefts. A friend of mine lost a Scorpio within 3 days of purchase and he made a beeline for the dealer. Some people had seen a guy walk up to the Scorpio, open it like a normal owner and drove away with ease. he obviously had a key and knew where to find the vehicle. My friend knows some cops and rounded up the staff at the dealership and zeroed in on a couple of them. The cops extracted a lot of information but sadly the car was never recovered. He continues to be dead sure that the staff at the dealership was involved.

The thieves are getting smarter than the prevention measures and I guess the best solution to prevent a theft is to get a strong chain and a big padlock.
Old 25th February 2011, 19:17   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
The thieves are getting smarter than the prevention measures and I guess the best solution to prevent a theft is to get a strong chain and a big padlock.
Agreed, but then again this has been discussed extensively and it had been concluded that no measure is foolproof.

The trick only lies in delaying the thief as much as possible, to be truthful i feel ashamed that our system has gone to the rots.
Old 25th February 2011, 21:37   #312
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...r-vehicle.html (Now, a password for your vehicle)

Passwords for engine?
Old 25th February 2011, 22:20   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
OMG, this is carjacking. Very serious

Was this late night? Deserted area?
Old 25th February 2011, 22:30   #314
BHPian

Maybe this is diverting from the topic a little bit, but what do the think tanks on the forum believe would be the most foolproof method to prevent theft. I understand the no method is foolproof but then which are the ones that stand out. At the end of the day we all have cars with a fair investment in them and would like to protect it. I hope that with the shared thoughts we can prevent some thefts and help the cause that GTA has started.
Old 26th February 2011, 08:01   #315

OT: never thought a doc would take to stealing cars!!

Doctor turns into carjacker for the moolah - The Times of India
Closed Thread