Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2011, 22:34   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Story of Pajero Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Surprising. Even the humble Alto comes with immobiliser.
Maruti has done a great job by providing it as a standard in all the segments. Hopefully, all other manufacturers will follow suit soon.

Even I am surprised to know that Pajero does not have it. That seems to be the main reason for the vehilcles pointed out by gtabombay - Pajero, Scorpio etc, to be fovourites of vehicle thieves. High value vehicles with ease of stealing is a deadly combination.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Even I am surprised to know that Pajero does not have it. That seems to be the main reason for the vehilcles pointed out by gtabombay - Pajero, Scorpio etc, to be fovourites of vehicle thieves. High value vehicles with ease of stealing is a deadly combination.
Iam surprised - does the Scorpio not have this? C'mon what would you rather have - rain sensors or better vehicle security?
Old 5th February 2011, 00:07   #123
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Story of Pajero Theft

Hats off to you gtabombay for your pursuance. Dealing with police is terminal headache, whether its Mumbai or anywhere else. You have lots of patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Very soon we will have to use clamps for locking the wheel. The kind that the RTO uses when they cannot tow vehicles
That's a good suggestion, but there are good chances that when you are removing the clamp, the 'alert' cops may catch you for stealing police clamps.
Old 5th February 2011, 01:12   #124
BHPian

gtabombay,

Sorry to hear about you Car and the following ordeal but hats off to your perseverance.

I'm sure that your determined efforts will surely bear fruit and you will definitely get your Car back!

I was also a victim of a vehicle theft

But sadly I did not have your perseverance and that mean that I quietly got my insurance processed and had to live with some monetary losses.

Sorry to Hijack your thread.

My 6 month old Pulsar 180 was stolen from my apartment's parking lot in 2008 Feb. When I went in to the HAL Police Station in Bangalore and told the Inspector that my bike was stolen he shot back asking whether it was a Pulsar? When I nodded in agreement he said that it is the most sought after bike by the thieves.

The Inspector was a straight talking & honest guy and he did come in to our apartment to interrogate the security guards (There were 5 of them on duty that fateful night) most nights they sleep like pigs after getting drunk and they feigned ignorance about the incident. I still suspect that they might have had a hand in it. There were other bikes (Pulsars too) parked next to mine but mine was the newest of the lot.

The FIR was filed and the insurance surveyor from Bajaj Allianz came home one day and he shared some startling info. He said that Bajaj had done some private investigation in to the matter about the huge numbers of Pulsars & Activas getting stolen from Bangalore. The investigation threw up some interesting findings - The bikes (Relatively newer, less than a year old) are stolen by LTTE sympathizers from the City and they ride to Rameshwaram via Hosur, Trichy. From Rameshwaram the bikes are transported by speed boats to Jaffna and other LTTE controlled areas. He said that the Tiger cadres liked the Pulsars and there was a huge demand for Activas from their Woman's wing.

To cut the story short I got 95% of the ex-showroom price as insurance. Since the Inspector was a honest guy I did not pay a single paise to the Cops even though the corrupt writer made me run around for a while for the NTR since he was not getting anything from me.

And to say the least I was one of the happiest guys to see V Prabhakaran dead

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 5th February 2011 at 01:15.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2011, 02:27   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabombay View Post
There are three ways to steal a car:

1. Hot wiring.

This is usually done for cars when they want to cannibalise it. There are very few ways to prevent the thief from hot wiring your car. But it is a bit messy and will attract attention. So very few cases of it happening in India with high value vehicles.

2. Duplicate key.

This is the easiest method if you are an expert key maker. This is Nasrat's MO. What you do is pry out the lock of the boot or the rear door. This is easily done with a special tool in less than 10 seconds. Sit in your vehicle and make the key. With ready made blanks and appropriate equipment you can make a key in 10 minutes. Open the door normally and drive off. It only works with certain models Like Scorpio, Pajero, Santro, Verna, Tavera, Bolero etc, where the key is made from a single piece of metal and also where the locks are easy to pull out. Once the duplicate key is ready there is little to stop you.
In the case of Nasrat he hardly ever gets into a stolen car. This is done by the lifter. The lifter leaves it in an unsuspecting parking lot while waiting for the receiver to send his own driver from out of state. These days he even has drivers on the ready staying in some hotel on the highway. The receiver's driver takes the car and drives out of state with fake number plates. This is the riskiest phase, so even if he gets caught he has no idea about either the sender or receiver.

Many cars with GPS tracking used be caught initially during the cooling period, now they have become aware of it and manage to disable it on the way.

BTW : I am happy to be a BHPian. Thank you all.
here's another. A racket that was unearthed in Delhi.

Apparently, the theives hook up with Valet attendants and made duplicate keys while the car was parked. They would then follow you home and note down address and daily routine. Then come back after a few weeks(so that there is no suspicion on valet guy) and drive coolly away with your car.
Old 5th February 2011, 08:04   #126
BHPian

I know of 2 anti-theft devices which can make your vehicle theft proof.

1. Revelco anti-theft device.

The Ravelco (pronounced Ruh-vel-co) Anti Theft Device is installed in an easily accessible place under or flush mounted in the dashboard. A removable 16 pin male plug (which when not in use connects to your key chain) makes all the electronic connections. A hidden armored steel cable protects the wires from the rear of the RAVELCO base on through to the engine compartment where all the connections are made and camouflaged. When the plug is removed from the RAVELCO, it is impossible to start the vehicle.
The circuits interrupted by the RAVELCO may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Typically, they would include the electronic fuel pump, the ignition circuit, the starter circuit or even the computer.

The beauty of this system is that not even a trainer electrician can start your vehicle when the plug is removed.

2. PowerLock

This is a remote controlled switch attached permanently to the solenoid of the starter motor.

I do not know if Powerlock can be defeated just by push starting the car!

Please look up on the internet for more details.

If any one knows of any other devices I am interested to know. I am looking for a system that will give an SMS when the locks are tampered with -- this is different from door-open alarm. My Pajero did not indicate door open, though the lock was pulled out !!

Last edited by gtabombay : 5th February 2011 at 08:09.
Old 5th February 2011, 10:31   #127
BHPian

Nasrat is haunting Powai and Vikhroli areas since returning from UP. His base is somewhere around the 24/7 park.
Old 5th February 2011, 10:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

gtabombay, I can feel the pain you are under-going. Damn these thieves and the police who are hand-in-glove with them.

This is one experience we had.

My mate's Honda Unicorn was given to a local mechanic for repairs. He had the bike for 2 days and the mechanic was quite a shady character.

The original key had worn out well and was slightly bent, and hence sometimes, it would not move from lock-off or off-on position.

We ourselves straightened the key and it was working fine and we never complained about it either to the mechanic.

The bike was returned with a 2k bill and delivery was taken. Surprise of surprises, the lockset was replaced. It was a non-OEM part, but had Honda inscribed on it, just like the original. however, if one carefully observed the pattern, it can be found that it is clearly a fake one. When we questioned the mechanic as to why he replaced it without our permission while we clearly asked him to call us in case of any replacement of spares, he could not give an answer. We left it there and life was normal.

Fast forward some 10 days, the bike was parked just outside our college, which is incidentally situated in the main road (NH), and is full of traffic all the time.

Not even an hour passed, the bike went missing.

We took the necessary documents and went to the police station to file an FIR. Checked all the police yards for the bike, cos there is a possibility that the bike might be towed by the police for some traffic offense.

No luck there. We then came back to the police to file an FIR, the police were just pushing it away for some reason and asked us to come the next day for it. Dejected, a group of friends set out in search of the bike all over the city, all by themselves.

After some 6 hours or so, the bike was found at an unsuspecting parking lot of a hospital (!) which is situated some 5~6km away from our college. Poor guys were checking all parking lots.

Meanwhile, I called up the mechanic and interrogated him regarding this. He was giving vague answers and felt cornered. I knew it was him, but we did not have any evidence.

After we located the bike, police were informed, and a constable was posted in the parking lot, and the bike was chained. But I knew the thief would never come, cos the thief was the mechanic and I had informed him that the bike is found, just to gauge his reactions. and I was right.

So guys, bottomline, be careful when handing over your keys to mechanics/valet parking guys, never trust them.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 5th February 2011 at 10:53.
Old 5th February 2011, 12:17   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
The FIR was filed and the insurance surveyor from Bajaj Allianz came home one day and he shared some startling info. He said that Bajaj had done some private investigation in to the matter about the huge numbers of Pulsars & Activas getting stolen from Bangalore. The investigation threw up some interesting findings - The bikes (Relatively newer, less than a year old) are stolen by LTTE sympathizers from the City and they ride to Rameshwaram via Hosur, Trichy. From Rameshwaram the bikes are transported by speed boats to Jaffna and other LTTE controlled areas. He said that the Tiger cadres liked the Pulsars and there was a huge demand for Activas from their Woman's wing.
That cannot be true. When the LTTE was ruling the north eastern part of Srilanka their only mode of 2 wheel transport was bicycle, because the Srilankan government had blocked all the highways that can transport petrol and no country was willing to sell them petrol.
Except the top rung leaders almost all, including commanders used to travel by bicycles.
However, in the 80s when the Indian intelligence agencies were helping them, LTTE used to buy stolen Rx-100s from TN for using the engines in their boats, and petrol used to be transported from coastline of TN. But after Rajiv's death all those supply lines were cut and this Pulsar story is an extension of that old practice.
Old 5th February 2011, 12:24   #130
BHPian

@Gtabombay,
Sorry to hear about your loss but really appreciate your efforts to trace the culprits while many would have given up and get as much of compensation they can from insurance.

This thread is an eyeopener for many, regarding safety of our beloved vehicles.
Very sad and shocking realization on how system works here!!!

Immobiliser should be an important criteria to select a new car from now on
Old 5th February 2011, 12:52   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That cannot be true. When the LTTE was ruling the north eastern part of Srilanka their only mode of 2 wheel transport was bicycle, because the Srilankan government had blocked all the highways that can transport petrol and no country was willing to sell them petrol.
Except the top rung leaders almost all, including commanders used to travel by bicycles.
However, in the 80s when the Indian intelligence agencies were helping them, LTTE used to buy stolen Rx-100s from TN for using the engines in their boats, and petrol used to be transported from coastline of TN. But after Rajiv's death all those supply lines were cut and this Pulsar story is an extension of that old practice.
Maybe you are right

I have heard about this RX100 engines for boat stories. I thought that the Pulsar story could be true since even after the supply lines from India were cut the LTTE never had shortages for ammunition to fight the Lankan Army so I assumed that maybe they used to smuggle fuel too!
Old 5th February 2011, 22:42   #132
BHPian

When it became clear that target had fled and his numbers were switched off, we decided to take call records of the most frequent numbers from the earlier records. While going through these records I was stumped to find a number which was in my contacts. It belonged to one of the constables from the local Police station. When I analyzed this mobile number belonging to Airtel (UP East Circle) and compared it with Nasrat's Mumbai numbers, there was lot of similarity during the month of February but soon reverted back to old pattern during last week of February. I guessed that Nasrat was using one of his acquaintance's from UP till 16th of February. And Nasrat was actually talking to a guy who had access to the case file and who was feeding me a lot of ****.

The crime unit working with me provided the constable's recent call details (Because Of Joint CP Crime, I was getting good cooperation from this unit) and I could guess which number Nasrat was currently using. But it turned out that, though it was indeed Nasrat's number (because it was using one of Nasrat's IMEIs), it was exclusively used for calling the cop and always from a moving vehicle. Rest of the time it was not active. Only one thing was clear, Nasrat was back in Mumbai!

The API from local police station had warned me about this constable so I was taking all his khabar with a large pinch of salt.

After analysis of the call records of many of Nasrat's frequent contacts, I found one active number that looked most like Nasrat's current number. But this was a Karnataka Vodafone number. By taking call records of this number I got no location information because it was in roaming mode and the roaming circle was Mumbai. Usually when a number is in roaming the call details don't have much information (IMEI, cellid etc).

It was very difficult to confirm that it was indeed Nasrat's number. Meanwhile we lost a month.

Last edited by gtabombay : 5th February 2011 at 23:00.
Old 6th February 2011, 07:13   #133
BHPian

gtabombay I'm really sorry for your loss ,your story is scary, I'm really impressed by your tenacity , keep up the great work.
These days we have to be very cautious and have to be smarter and outdo these crooks , you are quite inspiring .

cheers !
Old 6th February 2011, 09:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabombay View Post
But this was a Karnataka Vodafone number. By taking call records of this number I got no location information because it was in roaming mode and the roaming circle was Mumbai.
BTW, I saw a purple pajero while cruising on old airport road yesterday in Bangalore. I had a KA registration. I've never seen a purple pajero before in Bangalore. Where do you think the car is? UP or Mumbai or someplace else?
Old 6th February 2011, 10:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
BTW, I saw a purple pajero while cruising on old airport road yesterday in Bangalore. I had a KA registration. I've never seen a purple pajero before in Bangalore. Where do you think the car is? UP or Mumbai or someplace else?
Dude, there are many purple pajeros out there. Come on!

And unless you have the engine/chassis numbers, you can't do much.
Closed Thread