Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th February 2011, 04:33   #1
BHPian

Default Trip to NURBURGRING

Had always wanted to drive on the ring so when I purchased the E36 M3 evo it was time to go.I always go with fellow members from the BMW car forum as it is good to have some friends along if something goes wrong and believe me it often does.
I have managed to kiss the dreaded armco barrier and I say kiss because the car was not a write off . the damage was light ( offside drive shaft, wheel bearing, and a respray) and the car had to be recovered back to UK. Another reason for the purchase of the E36 M3 was that if it was a total loss on the ring or on a trackday I would not feel the pain as insurance does not cover you if you total it on the ring.
The drive from calais to nurburgring is an experience as you get to test the top end and easily average 160 kph on the 480km . few picture from one of the trips

Boarding the Eurotunnel train

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring1.jpg

In the train

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring2.jpg

Do not try offroad shortcuts in a M3

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring4.jpg

the only way is down

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring5.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring6.jpg

finally back on the road

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring7.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring7a.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring8.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring8a.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring9.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring9a.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring9b.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring9c.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring9d.jpg

This is were all the M cars get tested

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring10.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring10a.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring11.jpg

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring12.jpg

Finally an open stretch and got to open her up

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring13.jpg

31 miles later . Oil temp was causing me concern but was nothing serious when stopped at the next services to check . A piece of paper was stuck on the oil cooler.

Trip to NURBURGRING-ring14.jpg

Earn the badge don't just wear it

Trip to NURBURGRING-ringfinal.jpg
Sem80-88 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 03:30   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Trip to NURBURGRING

anyone interested in going to the ring this summer please get in touch. will be for three days two nights. It is one of the MUST DO things in your lifetime.
Sem80-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 04:17   #3
BANNED

I am planning a trip sometime in March. Do let me know. I could tag along or somehting.. I need to get a Visa thingie done though.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 07:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow Man! A trip to the ring is like mecca for guys like me.

Nice car, I have the E36 M3 coupe US. How come you are running E46 mirrors.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th February 2011 at 18:26.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Wow Man! A trip to the ring is like mecca for guys like me.

Nice car, I have the E36 M3 US. How come you are running E46 mirrors.
Someone had nicked the genuine M3 mirrors so replaced them with these. I have now replaced these with standard E36 mirrors and taken the M3 badge off . Completes the Q car look I wanted. There were not many M3 saloons produced anyway.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:08   #6
BHPian

Standing with the Nurbergring map in the background reminds of Darjeeling Himalayan Mountaineering Institure's wall where a snap is a must for all tourists.

But this place is a Mecca of diffrent sort as Mpower said and would really feel lucky to stand there some day.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 03:05   #7
BHPian

Hey sem80-88..cool pics man! I'm planning a trip to the UK in July for about 10 days. I'll keep in touch and see if we can meet up and maybe do a few laps around the 'ring. It is one of the things on my bucket list. Also I want to drive the Transfăgărăşan highway in Romania (picked by the Top Gear boys as the best driving road in the world!). Would love to do that someday!
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 09:15   #8
BHPian

Sem80 - I drove around the 'Ring in 2008 in a Suzuki Swift Sport in pouring rain. I couldn't afford anything bigger at the time. I do remember catching and passing a BMW M3 at Adenauer Forst because he was practically sideways everywhere while I had good traction thanks to the FWD Swift. I guess the power equations got thrown out of the window given the weather conditions on that day. I did a total of 8 laps and it wore me out...the adrenalin and the forces on your neck contribute a little bit to this. BUT - the most significant cause of stress is the constant threat of wrecking a rented track car because I was sure I wouldn't be able to afford paying for the damage. I drove well within myself...picking up confidence over the laps and my last lap was at least 80% of what the car could actually do.

I have to thank my PS2 and PS3 for helping me learn the layout...I must say I know it pretty well by now having done at least a thousand laps on these virtual platforms. Truth is that nothing compares to the real thing and the elevation changes, off-camber corners and ZERO ROOM FOR ERROR make reality almost too much for the brain to handle.

It takes balls to volunteer to drive around the Nurburgring...it takes a fat wallet to take those balls there. I am planning to go again this Summer or the next but I know for sure that I want a faster car this time. I have my eye on a Caterham / Ariel Atom or a Porsche 911.

Edit:

1. If you go to the 'Ring and want to stay overnight - try the hotel "An Der Nordschleife". It is a very nice B&B
2. I was so cash-strapped on this trip that I was backing off on the Dottinger Hohe straight to save fuel
3. Damn those rental Alfa Romeo V6s driven by demented tourists!!
4. When you see Supercar headlights in your mirror, fear drives you to move over to the right side and give way to them...but awareness drives you to BRAKE if you are on the inside of the corner because if you don't - you'll be paying for your car and theirs!!!
5. Germans can get quite nasty...especially the sort that go on trackdays. ZERO tolerance and not a warm spot in their body. Don't mess with someone on the track!

Last edited by gsferrari : 13th February 2011 at 09:21.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 20:58   #9
BHPian

Sorry for the double post...but I couldn't help show-off my lap of the 'Ring on the PS3/GT5

gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:39   #10
BHPian

I am in the UK from the Mid of March to the Mid of May 2011. Getting to the Nurburgring Track would be a dream come through, lets hook up for this one please!!

I will be based at Guildford, Surrey.
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 13:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
I am in the UK from the Mid of March to the Mid of May 2011. Getting to the Nurburgring Track would be a dream come through, lets hook up for this one please!!

I will be based at Guildford, Surrey.
I am going to India in the first week of March . Will be in touch when I come back.

Last edited by Sem80-88 : 25th February 2011 at 13:12.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:43   #12
BHPian

Is there a fee for usage of the track ? How much ?
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 23:31   #13

Here you go the costs for the ring:
Ring lap ticket prices

Nurburgring lap ticket prices increased in 2011 and the 8-lap ticket was discontinued. A single lap ticket increased by 9% over the 2010 price and multi-lap tickets increased by an average of 22%. Multi-lap tickets include food/drink credits to spend at the Eifeldorf Grune Holle restaurant opposite the Nurburgring Ring at Werk centre near the GP track. The restaurant at the Nordschleife uses credits that have to be loaded onto your card.
  • 1 lap 24
  • 4 laps 89 inc 10 food
  • 15 laps 310 inc 20 food
  • 25 laps 470 inc 30 food
  • Jahreskarte (see below) 1,350 inc 100 food
Note that all tickets are valid for a calendar year only. Lap credits expire at 31st December and there are no refunds.

Prices / Costs

Sorry about the info being UK orientated but thats where I am.
shindha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 18:37   #14
BHPian

Hello

Am planning this trip in May/June this year.

Any info would help.

I am hoping to wedge myself into one of the private trackdays using a corporate connection.

If that is not possible, really how bad is the touristfahren?

Also, there are some RHD cars like the 160BHP Swift. I don't know why I would go all the way to Germany to drive a Swift, but there it is.

LHD has its own adaptation time and I'm not sure I want to spend that much time on learning how to drive on the wrong side of the road, on the wrong side of a car and a totally new track simultaneously.

Of course in a private trackday I will not have the RHD option, maybe I will have to drive a higher class of vehicle and I'm hoping I don't have to.

Places to stay/eat/see would help. Hoping for two days there, one for the driving and the other for loafing about before taking a gander at the rest of Europe.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 17:07   #15
BHPian

I usually go with a group of friends and we stay in town called Bad-Neuenahr and stay in hotel called Giffels Goldener Anker. It is about 30 km away. The prices are a bit cheaper and there is bit for the wives and girlfriends to do (spa treatments ) while the boys are away having fun.
I have always used my own cars so do not have an idea about the availability of cars for the Nordschleife. I would budget about 40-50 per person for accommodation and about 30-40 per day for food. Drinks not included.
Sem80-88 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote