Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th July 2017, 09:36   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Nothing yet :(

I have been informed by a few others (who gave their licences for renewal etc.) that it usually takes 1 month+ 10 days for the license to come. Will pay a friendly visit to the RTO in the coming week.
An agent in Mumbai, who I contacted, gave me the same information; one and a half month.

But when I visited the Mumbai Central RTA to submit the renewal applicaton, the clerk at the cash counter told me that the DL would be dispatched within 15 days.

And after 15 days, 'status' on the Parivahan site states that the DL has been 'dispatched through post'.

But though I was given to understand that the DL is sent by Speed Post, till date, no attempt has been made by the local PO to deliver the same at my Mumbai residence.

Guess, I will wait a few days and then take up the matter with the RTO, Mumbai Central and ask for the postal receipt number.
Zezé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 10:18   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
And after 15 days, 'status' on the Parivahan site states that the DL has been 'dispatched through post'.
How exactly do we check this? On the parivahan site, when I select application status for DL, it says application no and DOB are mismatched or it says Application no is not in the right format.

When I select DL extract and key in application no, it says Application not yet approved!
ajayclicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:13   #123
BHPian

Quote:
How exactly do we check this? On the parivahan site, when I select application status for DL, it says application no and DOB are mismatched or it says Application no is not in the right format.

When I select DL extract and key in application no, it says Application not yet approved!
I believe that the 'application status' can be checked on the Parivahan only for online applications. Don't think it will work in your case because, if I recollect correctly, you have submitted your application manually.

In my case, I had a smart card to begin with and had applied for the renewal on the Parivahan site. I only visited the Mumbai RTO to obtain a medical certificate from the 'resident' doctor.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 11:04   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so to summarize my experience of trying to get my old book type license transferred from Maharashtra (MH04) to Bangalore (Ka05). A mini-ordeal and mini-drama in stages:
Quote:
Nothing yet :(

I have been informed by a few others (who gave their licences for renewal etc.) that it usually takes 1 month+ 10 days for the license to come. Will pay a friendly visit to the RTO in the coming week.

So, I finally have my license in my hands.But not without further mini-dramas.

1. I had originally submitted my documents to KA-05 @ 13th June.

2. A month later, I was advised by others to wait for 10 more days, as it usually takes a little longer than a month.

3. On 29th July, a working Saturday, I walked into Jayanagar RTO. Enquiry was only between 10.00- 12.00 and I was late. However, there were quite a few others like me, and tailing them (they had an advantage of speaking in local language) I reached the computer operator who was checking status by keying in the application number.

4. The operator keys in my application number. Status says no progress. He notices that it is a MH license and tells me that out of state licenses typically take 60 days from date of submission. I am in a tizzy as my Bangalore- Ladakh drive is planned from 19th August, and I do not want to risk doing that with a an "acknowledgement" that is printed in Kannada.

5. I decide to go to the officer in cabin no. 4 and check if there is a way I can expedite things, or if there is a provision to get a letter etc. in English.

6. A junior staff (compared to the officer) who is sitting in the cabin along with the officer asks what my concern is. I tell her. She agrees to help me and asks me to wait for 5 minutes as she first has to take care of a paper that is in her hands.

7. 5 minutes stretch to 30 minutes as the lady ends up gossiping with every staff member present there. She finally instructs the computer operator to retrieve my papers from a particular cupboard. Though I do not understand Kannada fully, I do get the gist that more than 30 days are up and there should be some progress. Her tone is a mix of instructing + scolding.

8. Papers are not found in the file that is being searched. Another clerk searches in another section. No luck. Then a third clerk is asked. He enquires my name. I tell him. He confirms by adding my middle name. Am shocked at his amazing memory. He then tells the computer operator that my papers are indeed in the first file and towards the bottom. On more careful searching, the operator finds my papers!

9. After 2-3 minutes of chit chat, the operator makes his way to cabin no.4. He comes out after 15- 20 mins and tells me that the confirmation of NOC has come from MH-04 RTO and that everything is in order now. I should get my license within 7- 10 days.

10. I thank him and I leave.

As I leave, I am not sure if he expected something from me. My experience has been that they usually give a hint. Plus while doing bio-metrics the bio-metrics operator was openly demanding Rs.50 from all male applicants. A few friends, later, chide me for not giving the operator chai-paani and claim that things will get delayed.

10 days have passed and no license. Finally, I walk into the RTO on a working day of the previous week, and here is the sequence of events:

1. Walk up to the computer operator and ask him to check the status. The card has been approved for printing only 2 days prior. He recognizes me and says that there is a shortage of cards, and that it will take another 7- 10 days

2. I tell him that I cannot afford to wait this long, and indirectly and directly offer chai-paani to help expedite things. He refuses to accept anything, but promises that he will speak to someone senior and try get my license printed in the next 3 days.

3. I reach home and via a whatsapp group of folks who are doing the Bangalore- Ladakh drive explore who is flying into Chandigarh etc. Worst case scenario, they will carry my DL with them.

4. A member in that group knows someone, who knows folks at the RTO. On hearing about the drive, that someone agrees to help and puts in a word.

5. My license gets printed and is delivered to me.

License valid till 2022, carries the original MH04 no., but is a smart card with Bangalore address. Let's see what events unfold in 2022 when it's time to renew

Last edited by ajayclicks : 13th August 2017 at 11:05. Reason: linespacing to make it easier to read
ajayclicks is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote