Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Twilight Driving - When do you exactly switch on your headlights?
As soon as light starts fading away, regardless of street lights are on or not. 103 40.87%
After it becomes sufficiently dark, till then I use parking lights only. 116 46.03%
After it becomes sufficiently dark and if there is no street lights. 9 3.57%
I use it on only when I cannot see and off, until it becomes complete dark. 7 2.78%
After Sunset, regardless of the light availability. 17 6.75%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd March 2012, 17:58   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Twilight driving - When exactly do you switch on your headlights

On my bike the lights are on 24/7 and almost every time I ride, more than one person will go out of their way to advise me that the lights are on. I guess the good thing is it makes me visible to other road users and I am grateful for that. The good thing with the bike is that the lights turn off automatically when the bike is switched off.

I would ideally like to do the same on my cars too but none of them have a buzzer to warn you when you switch off the car, nor do they turn off the lights automatically and thus I have no doubt that one day I will forget the lights and leave it on all day and come back to a flat battery.

What I will do is turn on the lights a little before dusk and leave them on all the way through I guess.

Driving at dawn or dusk is the toughest no doubt. One thing I have noticed is that occasionally turning on the lights is actually detrimental at that hour as it seems to blind you more, maybe by reflecting more into your eyes. Don't know the scientific explanation for this but have definitely observed it, so am always extra careful when driving at these times and try to avoid it if at all possible, especially on the highway. Not so much of an issue in town though because of so many other sources of ambient lighting from street lights, to building lights to other automobiles etc.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:12   #107
BHPian

On the highways I drive with Headlights ON. Helps !!
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:14   #108
BHPian

I am afraid my answer is not on this poll. I turn on the headlight regardless of any other condition as soon as I realize that its past 6:00 PM.

Though the light of my bike stays on regardless of whats the time if I am on the highway.

Last edited by antz.bin : 2nd March 2012 at 19:16.
antz.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:35   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post

Driving at dawn or dusk is the toughest no doubt. One thing I have noticed is that occasionally turning on the lights is actually detrimental at that hour as it seems to blind you more, maybe by reflecting more into your eyes. Don't know the scientific explanation for this but have definitely observed it, so am always extra careful when driving at these times and try to avoid it if at all possible, especially on the highway.
What you are saying is absolutely correct. And yes, there is a scientific explanation and it is given in this post. Check it out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1142129 (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive)
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
On my bike the lights are on 24/7
I would ideally like to do the same on my cars too
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
On the highways I drive with Headlights ON. Helps !!
I remember reading on this thread itself that turning on headlights when not required is not legal.

You either turn on DRLs or you don't turn on headlights until it's dark.

I think it is inappropriate, misleading and dangerous to have your HLs turned on during the day or on the highways when it ain't necessary.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:44   #111
Senior - BHPian

I switch on my parking lights as soon as the sun hits the horizon - which is when light starts fading really fast. I switch on my headlights pertty much as soon as the sun dips below the horizon. At this time, there is still sufficient light to see, but enough darkness to hide most of the hazards.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:58   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I remember reading on this thread itself that turning on headlights when not required is not legal.

You either turn on DRLs or you don't turn on headlights until it's dark.

I think it is inappropriate, misleading and dangerous to have your HLs turned on during the day or on the highways when it ain't necessary.
If your car does not have DRL's then do you install them or are dim HL's not the same thing.

On my bike I will not turn off the lights purely it makes such a difference in being spotted quicker by any other road user. An accident in a bike is always a lot worse than in a car. Your body takes the dents, whereas a car takes the dents.

My reason for turning on the lights is just to make myself more visible to other road users.

Why would it be illegal to turn on your lights when the sun is out anyway. Makes no logical sense, though to be fair there are a lot of laws in this country that make no sense.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 18:11   #113
BHPian

I switch on my tail lights when the sun sets i.e. approx 6 PM to benefit people behind me so as to indicate my presence. Now my headlights come on when I notice that the two wheelers are increasingly getting in my way without checking for vehicles behind them. I find it harder at that time to negotiate the maneuvers to avoid them. And the moment I switch on the lights, there is a (kind of) respect for the 4 wheeler and they mind their manners.
dhrupadh is offline   Reply With Quote