Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th February 2011, 21:07   #31
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A short story of a traffic warden

Didn't know that this is a hot thread. Thanks mods, for spreading the good word (I hope).
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:07   #32
BHPian

Hi
Its the small things that we do that touches people the most and most of the time we are ignorant of the fact what others are doing to make us feel great and comfortable. Cheers to your attitude and hats off to the warden.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 07:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

@dot-great going,doing gestures s or lending out a helping hand like this surely makes us feel good.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 09:52   #34
BHPian

@dot

Its nice to see a common man helping out another common man. These days seeing and reading all the corruption occuring in our country, your post lifts the morals, that there are good people left in our country and we are still not alone

Anyways keep up the good work.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 01:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
I read recently that the somewhere in Europe (I think switzerland) they passed a law that charges speeding violators a percentage of their annual income (not a fixed amount fine). I guess that would be a welcome but impractical change in India.
Many countries do have these unlimited fines. Finland and Denmark can slap fines based on the offenders income. A director of Nokia once got a 116,000 Euro fine for speeding. Norway and Iceland can fine an offender up to 10% of his annual earnings. And like you said, fines in Switzerland are also based on the offenders income. I remember reading about a Swiss court fining a repeat offender 650,000 Euros or $. (Could be wrong about the figure.)
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 10:02   #36
BHPian

Good gesture dot; God bless you for that. The art of conning does more harm to a genuine recipient than to a prospective donor. A small sum that we might have squandered on something trivial could mean an important life saving aid to an ailing human.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 12:47   #37
BHPian

@Dot: Great Story and write up. Have been having a similar experience with a Warden at the Ghorpadi/Bharat Forge Road Junction. Infact today since I was driving in to office on my own I stopped and thanked him. I was taken aback by his simple answer: " Sir, Tey Majha kaam aahey ani mee shraddhey nee karat rahnar" (Sir, that is my work and I will keep doing it with all devotion). Not many examples of this kind one finds in daily life I agree.
Kudos to you for bringing this out so well. These guys need to be appreciated too.

-salil
scphanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 14:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Dot, great work there mate. Regardless of the outcome, whether it was for real or not, you did the right thing. If i was in your place, maybe I would have done the same.

What matters more, was your advice to him on not returning the money. Even if it was a con job, this deed must have struck some moral cord in this warden.

Its people like you, who make this country a better one. Kudos my friend.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:00   #39
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, all of you. Specially who wrote (drrajasaravanan, rakesh_r, tush, gostel, scphanse, and Swanand, my friend).

Lets also not forget mdsaab who also helped the same person.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:01   #40
BHPian

I am a doctor and you chaps have on idea of what goes on in most doctor’s chamber. Patients don't pay me after the consultation, they don't pay me after I do a small procedure and sometimes they don't pay me after i have done an operation.This is true for about 40% of my patients. Not that they don’t pay me anything at all, they pay me 50% of my fees. The standard statement is "Where will we get the money from?"
So why don’t they say so before the consultation/procedure?
I am not a fresher any more in the profession but I still am a little embarrassed to ask for advance but sooner or later I will have to start.
Reflection of the society we live is in the fact that mostly people here said that dot has done a good job AND THEY HOPED THAT HE WAS NOT being fooled.
Guys please don't give cash money. Please buy them the medicines, cotton, bandages etc and give that instead of cash. Buy them their shoes, blankets, cooking utensils whatever but please don't give cash.

Last edited by noidea : 14th April 2011 at 22:06. Reason: spellings again
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 00:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
I am a doctor and you chaps have on idea of what goes on in most doctor’s chamber. Patients don't pay me after the consultation, they don't pay me after I do a small procedure and sometimes they don't pay me after i have done an operation.This is true for about 40% of my patients. Not that they don’t pay me anything at all, they pay me 50% of my fees. The standard statement is "Where will we get the money from?"
So why don’t they say so before the consultation/procedure?
I am not a fresher any more in the profession but I still am a little embarrassed to ask for advance but sooner or later I will have to start.
What kind of a health professional are you ? Everywhere I have gone, clinic or hospital, first thing they ask you is to deposit the money in the counter except for just consultations. A minor procedure or surgery, "better get your hard cash, else we will let you die" is the thing that i have heard. Great to know that there are some people like you in this field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
Reflection of the society we live is in the fact that mostly people here said that dot has done a good job AND THEY HOPED THAT HE WAS NOT being fooled.
Guys please don't give cash money. Please buy them the medicines, cotton, bandages etc and give that instead of cash. Buy them their shoes, blankets, cooking utensils whatever but please don't give cash.
I totally agree with you on this, giving money to total strangers on the road and feeling good about it is not the right way to go about it, better to spend time in knowing someone and helping them with their needs. Also charity begins at home.

I too know a traffic warden near my office who the first time i met saluted me and greeted me with a smile, being the pessimist that I am, I asked him, "Do I know you ?", he said "Sir, I am traffic warden", I said "Good to know that" and left after which every time I see him, he does the same and not just to me, but to all the car drivers, not to the bikers or autos or pedestrians. I am sure one day he will touch me for something too.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 15th April 2011 at 00:33.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 22:25   #42
dot
Senior - BHPian

@noidea and @esteem_lover, respect your viewpoints. Personally I dont think that there is one solution, or one way or one possibility. Here is something that sticks with me.

Old 13th October 2011, 11:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this thread based on a few recent instances at either hotel or mall parking lots.
Most of the times, there are some guards assigned to help/ guide us park/ leave the parking lots. Based on my experiences with these folks, I have found them saluting the driver/ owner in expectation of a tip. I dont like this subservient attitude but there is little I can do about it. Now are these people really underpaid and do we owe them a tip? I ask this as a pure pessimist and because honestly I dont know how much to give them if at all.

It was easy in restaurants to calculate a % of the bill for the tip, and now even easier as in most places this decision is taken out of our hands by the service tax levy.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Reviving this thread based on a few recent instances at either hotel or mall parking lots.
Most of the times, there are some guards assigned to help/ guide us park/ leave the parking lots. Based on my experiences with these folks, I have found them saluting the driver/ owner in expectation of a tip. I dont like this subservient attitude but there is little I can do about it. Now are these people really underpaid and do we owe them a tip? I ask this as a pure pessimist and because honestly I dont know how much to give them if at all.

It was easy in restaurants to calculate a % of the bill for the tip, and now even easier as in most places this decision is taken out of our hands by the service tax levy.
From my experience, these guards are appreciative of anything you offer them. They might also be having a cut from the tips given inside. There are a couple of restaurants I go quite frequently. I always tip in advance with the result that the guard always has a good spot for me close to the entrance.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 19:07   #45
BHPian

Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Dont we always say, How I wish I'd control the traffic or do something about the number of bad drivers and shove some road sense into their heads?. A guy tried to do it here in Goa and guess what,He got arrested!

A short story of a traffic warden-15434982724_0c032fc022_o.jpg

Credits to: Gomantak times
richie4u is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote