Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th March 2011, 10:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Do safe driving speeds actually depend on the type of car you drive?

A short answer is Yes. With the old Amby I felt uncomfortable above 80-85kph, about 5kph higher with the FIAT 1100. The M800 started wandering at 75kph, while the NE118 was quite stable at 95! In my Accent I was quite happy with 110 or so , while with the Civic I have no issues even at 135.

It is a matter of vehicle dynamics, and any sensitive driver will find that above a certain speed he will feel the car shaky. You may have to grip the steering harder. This is often the first indication.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:18   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Do safe driving speeds actually depend on the type of car you drive?

I feel safe in my magnum driving at 150kmph but dont cross 100kmph in my i10 until n unless its empty highways.

In t-bhp drives many have asked
How do you control the car at highspeeds?
Dont you feel scared driving at that speeds?
My answer to them is - Get into my car on a drive and then comment.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes. But my experience is based mostly on breaking (hard) and cross winds than the NVH levels, ride quality etc.

I drive 4 cars on quite often. My WagonR (daily commute), my ANHC (weekend drives), my dad's OHC Vtec (once in a couple of weeks) and my father-in-law's DZire VDI (once in a few months - though these drives are often on the longer side).

WagonR VXI (which has fatter tyres - on Michelin's XM1 now)
- becomes a handful if there are strong'ish cross winds and I am doing 80 or above.
- once experimented with hard breaking for a speed-breaker (was at 70kmph) from a distance which I thought was enough. Locked the wheels and slammed hard into the speed-breaker (at probably between 30-40kmph). Conclusion - It probably required double distance of what I thought was safe!
- quite noisy above 80-85 so I tend not to go above that even on DND and NH8.

ANHC (with 195/60/R15 Michelins)
- haven't done any break testing yet but had to once go from accelerating hard to breaking hard and the car was a little nervous and had to maneuver to keep it in a straight line.
- max I did was 120kmph on NH1.

OHC Vtec (on stock profiles with Michelin XM1)
- Did a 0-100 dash and then breaking hard till 60. Was very nervous on that breaking maneuver. The many other times I have driven it on a highway, it tends to lockup the fronts immediately under any kind of hard breaking.
- Tends to be nervous above 100 even on slightly undulating/patchy roads.

DZire (VDI on stock tyres - the thin ones)
- most terrifying of them all.
- never gone above 80kmph.
- have to approach every turn much more carefully compared to all cars above.

Forgot to add: Drove with my friend in his Civic from B'lore to Pune (on stock tyres). Roads were excellent in parts.
- max at 140kmph. seemed a pleasure to drive on that particular stretch of road.
- hard to break hard from ard 125kmph when a dog suddenly crossed the road. Car kept in a straight line and wasn't nervous at all. Though the purpose was lost as I must have hit the dog at about 70-80 kmph and killed it.

PS: I feel anything above 100kmph is unsafe all over India unless you can see clearly upto half a km ahead on both sides of the road.

Last edited by asr245 : 9th March 2011 at 11:48.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 20:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
Hi folks,
While changing over from Maruti 800 to my New Wagon R, I made a discovery that needs some thinking. So I bring it up with you.

When I used to drive my Maruti 800, a speed of 50 kmph used to look just the right speed. Beyond this, I used to feel that I am treading on danger ground. 40 kmph used to be the speed I was most comfortable with.

In Wagon R, I would think I am driving at the same speed I was comfortable with in my Maruti and yet be surprised to see that the speedometer would say 60 kmph. Also 80-85 is the new speed I will think beyond which Wagon R starts looking a bit risky. So just by a change of car model, my notion of safe speed has changed.

In Wagon R, 60 kmph feels stress free.

Previously, sitting in my Maruti and watching people drive at 60 Kmph used to look dangerous driving to me on busy roads (not highways or expressways).

Wagon R braking, engine handling probably explain the leap in the safe speed that it has achieved.

So here's my question.

When seated in Wagon R and watching people cross me at 80-90 kmph looks dangerous. These cars are typically Volkswagen, Scorpios, Altis etc.

Would sitting in those car and driving at 80-90 look like safe driving?

So shouldn't safe speed depend on the car you drive? I am not talking of legal speed limits, just safe driving speed limits.

Or is it a function of skill? In which case I am the same driver whose notion of safe speed changed with the car I drove.

Yes, maybe another skilled driver would have driven Maruti at 50 and Wagon R at 80 and thought of those speed as safe compared to mine.

But then it goes on to prove the same thing again.

That speed depends on the car you drive.

Am I right or am I wrong?
Of course, safe driving speed depends on the car.
Better car the faster you can travel more safely.
Maruti 800 vs Mercedes is a good example.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:17   #20
BHPian

You must be able to stop the car fully and safely at any point in your journey, including imagined obstacles. Which means on unfenced highways you must leave enough margin of error for peds, cattle and traffic down the wrong side. And in cities, must account for the whims and fancies of drivers around you. For example, the typical 'safe' speed in Calcutta would be lower than that in Delhi, but because Delhi traffic is far more voluminous and chaotic/unpredictable the speeds seem to be similar.

That apart, yes the car does make a pretty big difference. From my Premier President to the Matiz to the Opel Corsa and now my T-Jet, the safe speed has always gone up - the better braking and handling in each case, along with lower generated and intrusive noise does help add to the feeling of safety.

I have had moments in the Linea where I felt I would not have been able to control it if it were a lesser car - and this is not at breakneck speed, but much lower speed within city limits when avoiding the morons that pass for drivers in most cities in India, or the occasional random obstacle that sprung up overnight.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Among the many factors that deem a speed "safe" for driving, the most imp. are :
- driving skills of the driver
- car capability
- road condition

80 km/hr in M800 would scare a driver but 120 km/hr in a heavily planted Opel Corsa would seem a breeze. But, 80 km/hr in M800 for an experienced driver would be fun while 120 km/hr in the Corsa for a newbie would be a scare-fest.

The max. speed you can get it depends mostly on whether you feel comfortable going at that speed in the vehicle on the road. The driver, vehicle and the road all play vital roles; one weak link and things will get ugly.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 22:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Safe driving speeds does depend on the car. but, not ONLY the car. It also depends on
  • The Driver, his reflexes.
  • Road Condition
  • Traffic Conditions
  • Lighting
  • Tyres & Brakes. You can go faster in the same car with better tyres and brakes
  • Suspension
Haven't you forgotten to add one important point! "Speed Limit".
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 23:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Definitely yes. In an old Amby 40KMPH would appear to be a very high speed, in M800 at 60, in Swift at 90 and so on. The road surface too play a part as on a bumpy road it is dangerous in a safe speed on good tarmac. Efficiency of brakes is another vital one in determining safe speed. Weather is another key aspect.In other words there are many deciding factors.

Last edited by rajeev k : 29th September 2011 at 00:01.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 11:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Safe driving speeds does depend on the car. but, not ONLY the car. It also depends on
  • The Driver, his reflexes.
  • Road Condition
  • Traffic Conditions
  • Lighting
  • Tyres & Brakes. You can go faster in the same car with better tyres and brakes
  • Suspension
Agreed fully.

I'd add the following:
  • Road Visibility
  • How much of driving happens through the brain and how much of it happens through the 'spinal cord' - relates to reflex - the most important factor of all
  • overall condition of the equipment
  • how well the driver knows the equipment (Human-Machine Interface)
  • Concentration level of the driver
I drive a Civic and my normal speed is anywhere between 20 kmph to 155 kmph - depends on many factors stated above.

Some body mentioned about something called 'Speed Limit' - what is it?
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote