Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 12:27   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Hi All, a very interesting and useful topic. Have encountered a few similar situations on my own. Well, the only sensible and responsible thing to do in such case is (though mostly it is not our fault), when a mob gathers tell them very clearly and strongly that you are willing to take the victim!/victims! to a nearby hospital and do so. In any case, the total hospital bill will not run more than 500 to 600 rupees. Mostly the victims! are gonna be given first-aid, dressing etc and in some cases a x-ray would be insisted upon. So, it never is gonna be more than Rs.1,000. This way, even your conscience is clear, you have done your responsibility, but never agree for any other monetary settlement. Simply give your mobile no to them and move fast from the hospital. Remember to take a copy of the prescription by the doctor with you. Believe me, you will receive a couple of calls telling that the victims! need more money due to some more medical complications. But after that it will cease. But throughout the entire ordeal, maintain a pleasant but strong personality. Safe motoring to all and wish that we never come across such unpleasant situations any more.
Capitalson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 13:17   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 775 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

This incident happened when I was 18 and just got my driving license. I was driving with my dad and granddad to my native in our car. We were passing through a small town which is notorious for ill mannered pedestrians. I was aware of this fact and was driving cautiously at 30kmph. Suddenly a small kid who was playing with a tyre came in front of my car from the left side. Had to brake hard and the car stopped within a short distance but still did hit the kid and flung him atleast 2 meters onto the road. I was fearing the worst. My dad and I got out of the car and took the kid to the side. Fortunately the kid was fine, except for a few road rash on his hand and legs.
As usual the mob gathered around and started to ask for compensation. We stood our ground and told them to bugger off as it was not our fault and offered to take the kid to the hospital. Luckily few of the shopkeepers on that road had witnessed the incident and supported us. We took the kid to the nearby clinic and got him treated. We reported to the incident at the nearest police station and got a statement recorded.
The damage: 50Rs for getting the kid treated and a misaligned bumper on my car.

First take care of the victims, tell all the third party people who are not related to the incident to bugger off. Inform the police and get a statement registered. It is very important to stand your ground and at least act like you know the big guns. Once the mob understand that you cannot be threatened they will back off and leave. It is a different matter that my dad knew a few people including the police.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 17:58   #18
Newbie
 
yvasprasad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Story 1 happened with me while I was driving my Bullet. Had to file a police complaint, paid the hospital & medicine bills of the other person and bribed the cops too. Total loss of money was around 6600.

The guy who came infront of my bike was a JCB operator and he had worked the whole night and he was dozing in the bus and got out of the bus and was crossing to the other side of the street. He neither saw me coming nor heard the horn. This happened early in the morning around 7.30am.

Well, its always the mistake of the vehicle riders atleast in India.

Rgds,
Prasad
yvasprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 09:41   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

My take on this:

None of the drivers/victims have opted to seek help of the police. Why do they hesitate? Is it only the bad image in our mind? I have yet to come across stories here where the victims have been duped by the police. Sure there are bad apples, but the police have a duty to perform and are bound by law.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 09:53   #20
BHPian
 
SubuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

@honeybee - I have dealt with Police about 5 times in my life - and every experience had ended in a bribe. Usually when they figure out you can afford to pay them a bribe, they start the squeeze. So instead of paying the local goondas you will be paying the govt. appointed "police".
SubuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 10:39   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,394
Thanked: 839 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I said that I do not have the money at hand and would borrow from a friend living a couple of kilometers away and on the pretext of calling him walked a few steps away and called the cops. While we continued to argue on the street, the cops arrived and I asked them to take us all to the police station and register the case.
Could you share where this happened and what exactly you told the cops when you dialled 100. Also, how long did it take for them to arrive?

The reason I'm asking is because I've myself dialled 100 twice in certain situations but the PCR gypsy never came. Once I waited for about 20 minutes near ISBT and the other time I was in Lakshmi Nagar, would've waited for about 45 minutes there.
fine69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 13:08   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
@honeybee - I have dealt with Police about 5 times in my life - and every experience had ended in a bribe. Usually when they figure out you can afford to pay them a bribe, they start the squeeze. So instead of paying the local goondas you will be paying the govt. appointed "police".
The police have no place to make decisions or decide who is at fault and who is not. Their job is to record the facts of the matter. Let the courts decide who is guilty. We assume whatever the police say will prevail, but that's not how it works.

I guess it's the mentality to avoid the formalities which leads us to bribe the police and then the police start looking for soft targets.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 13:41   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
@akas

In the meanwhile, to everyone, what are your opinions on the best way to deal with such situations. Do we scoot an save our skins? Or do we stop and help? And what about the police? IMO, unless you are dealing with a few good men, following rules and stopping to help doesn't help as the cops are looking to make a quick buck too...
There are no fit all solutions. One needs to respond depending on the particular situation. I have had a personal expeience of helping an unknown accident victim and had no problem with it at all. On the other hand there are umpteen horor stories on the forum.

My advice is - Use your judgement, Try to help if you can but be ready to run if necassary. Don't be an idealistic hero and endanger your personal safety.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 13:46   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
There are no fit all solutions. One needs to respond depending on the particular situation. I have had a personal expeience of helping an unknown accident victim and had no problem with it at all. On the other hand there are umpteen horor stories on the forum.

My advice is - Use your judgement, Try to help if you can but be ready to run if necassary. Don't be an idealistic hero and endanger your personal safety.
The law clearly states the driver/occupants of the vehicle must help the injured unless there's a danger of mob fury.

And the accident must be reported to the nearest police station within 24 hours.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 13:47   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The police have no place to make decisions or decide who is at fault and who is not. Their job is to record the facts of the matter. Let the courts decide who is guilty. We assume whatever the police say will prevail, but that's not how it works.
I am not sure if you have had a personal experience based on which you have concluded as above, but in reality its definitely not the case.

From an incident in which i was involved, i nearly got converted from the victim to the offendor in seconds, and this was with cops involved. I do not wish to get into the details here.

If only the cops did their job as expected, the following quote from your post wouldnt be needed. Cops in India will go to any extent to ensure their pockets are greased, rather than let truth prevail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I guess it's the mentality to avoid the formalities which leads us to bribe the police and then the police start looking for soft targets.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 14:32   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The police have no place to make decisions or decide who is at fault and who is not. Their job is to record the facts of the matter. Let the courts decide who is guilty.
That's correct. The police have no right to say who is guilty or not.

The other day I was watching TV and they were showing some Hindi serial and the cop in somebody's house was passing judgment in some case.

Nonsense being dished out to the aam jaanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am not sure if you have had a personal experience based on which you have concluded as above, but in reality its definitely not the case.
I have had a personal experience here in Bangalore. I stood my ground for the victim - a hit from an auto rickshaw guy. The police guy(not traffic) was saying no case as no major injury and let the auto guy go. He is not to be blamed. The pedestrian hit was standing on the side of the road. Not even crossing. What happened next in the police station is different. But that was more due to the aversion to outsiders in this city. That's beyond law and justice.

But the police guy who came to the accident spot kept quite after hearing our rights about such incidents and the police role.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 14:49   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 23
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Fear factor playing truant on the mind, we wish to escape from the situation either by paying up or scooting. If we can resist the fear, we can handle the situation more gracefully with minimum fuss.

I was in a situation with an Auto driver in Hyderabad. The guy jumped the signal and the front bumper of my car barely touched the rear of the auto.. He started talking all nonsense, well supported by the passengers. I resisted and refused to pay anything. They guy started drama, indicating to smash my windshield (He started searching for a rod/stick to do that). I did not raise my voice, but told him to do what ever he wants. The guy came down and asked me to pay at least 50 Rs, which i didn't. He had to leave ultimately.

I was confident that he would not do anything for 2 reasons

1. Police station was barely 100 mts from the signal
2. There wasn't any damage to be noticed.

Sometimes, i feel education has blinded our judgments and killed our natural instincts to take the right course during these situations.
sanjayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 14:49   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Pal - you might do better to say "buzz off" instead of the actual words used. Just mentioning it since different people have different sensibilities and hence it would be better to use neutral language/ descriptions.\
Mods - perhaps you could do the necessary editing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This incident happened when I was 18 and just got my driving license. I was driving with my dad and granddad to my native in our car. We were passing through a small town which is notorious for ill mannered pedestrians. I was aware of this fact and was driving cautiously at 30kmph. Suddenly a small kid who was playing with a tyre came in front of my car from the left side. Had to brake hard and the car stopped within a short distance but still did hit the kid and flung him atleast 2 meters onto the road. I was fearing the worst. My dad and I got out of the car and took the kid to the side. Fortunately the kid was fine, except for a few road rash on his hand and legs.
As usual the mob gathered around and started to ask for compensation. We stood our ground and told them to bugger off as it was not our fault and offered to take the kid to the hospital. Luckily few of the shopkeepers on that road had witnessed the incident and supported us. We took the kid to the nearby clinic and got him treated. We reported to the incident at the nearest police station and got a statement recorded.
The damage: 50Rs for getting the kid treated and a misaligned bumper on my car.

First take care of the victims, tell all the third party people who are not related to the incident to bugger off. Inform the police and get a statement registered. It is very important to stand your ground and at least act like you know the big guns. Once the mob understand that you cannot be threatened they will back off and leave. It is a different matter that my dad knew a few people including the police.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 14:52   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 775 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Pal - you might do better to say "buzz off" instead of the actual words used. Just mentioning it since different people have different sensibilities and hence it would be better to use neutral language/ descriptions.\
Mods - perhaps you could do the necessary editing?
Didn't think it might be a problem, will keep in mind the next time.

Mods: please do the needful
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 15:52   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

no worries mate

but your points made and the description of your experience leads one to surmise, rather sadly, that in our country, as long as we lack proper regulation and proper education we will continue to endure this problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Didn't think it might be a problem, will keep in mind the next time.

Mods: please do the needful
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India: GPS vs asking locals for directions debmum Street Experiences 22 11th September 2015 09:34
Small fleet (like Blue Line in NCR) Buses and Accidents BaCkSeAtDrIVeR Commercial Vehicles 10 29th October 2010 16:22
Mob violence in Bangalore! finneyp Shifting gears 1 13th April 2006 19:05
drunken accident and rowdy mob :( Shrikar Street Experiences 30 9th January 2006 15:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks