Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st March 2011, 09:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Who decides which streets are Pay and Park

I used to occasionally park at this street which is parallel to the Link Road near Infiniti Mall at Andheri(W). The street was the street outside Morya Landmark 1 building. This is an inner road.

Last monday - it suddenly became a Pay and Park. All over the street, you see signs for "Ruebens Pay and Park". They have put signs outside atleast 7-8 buildings in the area, so almost all the free street parking is gone.

My question is who decides to convert free park into paid parking?

Recently, no new hotels opened up in the building "Grillopolis" & "China" - I was wondering if they were somehow involved in converting this to paid parking. Because they were already putting up potted plants etc on the street which had reduced the free parking anyway.

I am assuming that the BMC hands out these paid parking contracts to the vendors - how do they decide which streets are to be made paid parking etc.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:46   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Who decides which streets are Pay and Park

I work in this exact same area, near the T series building. Our office building has limited parking inside, so many of us park outside. One afternoon, suddenly I was stopped by this plain-clothed chap with a booklet of receipts. He wanted me to pay for parking there, I told him to first go get a uniform, and a badge that can prove his authority. He persisted, I walked away. Another friend had a different experience, he was similarly accosted, and he paid 10 bucks to the chap and told him to forget about it.

Overnight they put up signs and started charging for parking. I don't think BMC is involved in this, as this is a private road, there seems to be some nefarious elements hand in this(rumor).

Cheers,
Sriku
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 12:38   #3
BANNED

This is all a gang- pay up folks at high places and get permits and then make money on parking fee. A lot of it is based on the bribes that go up. Sad that town planning has no norms. Bangalore too has seen this appear and disappear so often, its crazy. Now most are non paid parking.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To answer the thread starter's question, it is the local municipality that decides where to charge for parking (e.g. MCGM - Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai - in Bombay). Typically, after an area has been identified, they float a tender. The contractor who bids the highest gets the right to collect parking fees via a limited-period contract.

If you feel they are unauthorised, or charging exorbitant fees, file a complaint with the local municipality.

Last edited by GTO : 21st March 2011 at 13:34.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Who decides which streets are Pay and Park

Its a surprise at the sudden change of the parking status of the road. Was it due to some haphhazard parking by some vehicle which has forced an overnight change. Also in the absence of any statuatory indications, it is very difficult to pay for the parking too. Atleast BMC would have been wise enough to put some boards regarding the parking fee collection authorization.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you feel they are unauthorised, or charging exorbitant fees, file a complaint with the local municipality.
How does one figure out whether they are authorized or unauthorized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Its a surprise at the sudden change of the parking status of the road. Was it due to some haphhazard parking by some vehicle which has forced an overnight change.
Nope. Only new thing recently was the opening of couple of fancy restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Also in the absence of any statuatory indications, it is very difficult to pay for the parking too.
What do you mean my statutory indications?
Only thing here is 7-8 nameboards attached walls/trees saying "Rueben Pay and Park".
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:48   #7
BHPian

In Pune, it's the Municipal Corporation and the Cantonment Board (where applicable) which decides on streets to be made pay and park. In most cases, they are arterial roads with designated parking areas and boards to indicate it so. I have not seen by-lanes which are marked for paid parking.

To some extent, it's a little transparent since local newspapers carry news of any upcoming changes related to paid parking. IIRC, on FC road and JM road, the pay'n'park scheme has been withdrawn till a new vendor is identified.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about it! even though it is the local municipal that decides on pay and park locations. Some of them are truly unreasonable. Like for instance in Kalani Nagar, Pune. We have only one garden where one can go and enjoy fresh air and the kids can run about freely and have fun. Here too the municipal has started a pay&park. Now this part of K'Nagar is purely residential and people only park here to visit the garden. and for that too why should we end up paying. we pay a rupee to enter the garden and have no problem doing so as it is for the upkeep of the garden. but paying for parking here is just fleecing the people. Also to be noted is that 2 wheelers do not have to pay for parking here or any other part of Kalyani Nagar. I am ok with paying in commercial areas like mg road etc. but this is outrageous, unfair, unethical!
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while in camp near the local market i parked my car near a pay&park zone.
When i returned to the car. A weird looking guy approached with a ticket asking for the fee. The guy looked like a junkie or maybe he was drunk. Not sure. Anyways asked him for his i card. To which he said he doesnt have one. Only his boss has the i card. Anyways i paid him the fee. But arent the fee collectors suppose to have an i card?
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote