Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st March 2011, 13:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default A remedy to stop signal jumping

I have been utterly pi**ed (I typed those asterics myself, to convey my feeling!), at the number of people shamelessly jumping signals. I am sure this situation prevails more or less everywhere else. I have thought of an idea to prevent this:

As soon as the traffic light turns red, a barricade should be lowered onto the road to physically prevent any vehicle from crossing over beyond the stop line. The barricade will be lifted only when the light turns green. This barricade would be similar to the one seen at the manned railway crossings.

This will get rid of signal jumpers permanently.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A remedy to stop signal jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Umm..I am not so sure of that. People will still try to sneak through the sides/under the barriers and so forth.

How about having giant screens at every major intersections, which would display gory (if simulated) accident images/clips of signal jumpers to the side which has stopped ?
If that doesnt sensitize the people, nothing will.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:32   #3
BANNED

Its ONLY strict enforcement of rules that will stop this. If a person is fined and EACH offense recorded in the central database so that it can show up when he is caught again and a heavier fine again, it will create fear. Its only fear that will stop this, i am SURE with the revenue collected, we can pay for the extra man power collected. Even Cameras can capture the number plates and all need to pay else go to jail like in the west.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:42   #4
dot
Senior - BHPian

Fine them. Fine them an absurdly high sum of money like Rs 5000+ or a jail time of two days. The habit will stop. If this was Singapore, I would have suggested three canes also.

Last edited by dot : 21st March 2011 at 13:43.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, on some crossroads in Pune a few years ago the 'traffic assistants' held a huge rope at the zebra crossings to prevent the vehicles from inching further.
There have been numerous instances when other drivers keep honking and urging you to move ahead if you are waiting in the correct areas. The only solution I can think of is to have prohibitively preventive action - something like a % of the original cost of the vehicle. Or confiscating the vehicle and leaving it at the roadside at owners risk. The very objective of fines should be to prevent people from committing traffic offences. The fines should not be affordable in the least!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:52   #6
BHPian

How about replacing the barricade idea with a 2 - 3 foot wide patch or sharp objects that are raised to deflate wheels, as soon as the lights go from Orange to Red, and are lowered as soon as they go Green from Orange? Club this with additional warnings about tire damage and fines. I am sure that would cost lesser.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:53   #7
BHPian

People who jump signals will jump irrespective of whatever barricades we put. My solution - You stop and stay put irrespective of the pressure created by the people behind you and hope that at least some people learn. If not learn, at least they are forced to stop at that signal.

and when they honk, smile at them
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I always had this wild imagination of huge Knives
Similar to the one used earlier to chop the heads of criminals

Whenever I stand in a signal and see signal jumpers, I get this imagination

These huge knives should come down on the signal jumpers or even people who cross the line and stop on the zebra crossing.
It should be so sharp that it should cut wnything obstructing it.
I imagined the bonnet to be sheared off in case of a car.

But i think the barricade concept can be thought of at least as an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
and when they honk, smile at them
Gandhigiri eh!!!
Every morning at 7 this is what I do

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st March 2011 at 14:01.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: A remedy to stop signal jumping

Well the barricade at the railway crossing itself is not a deterrent to the offenders and we see so many mishaps happening on the daily basis.

The best way to prevent any signal jumpers would be a heavy fine. Also the sense of traffic rules should be realized by the jumper themselves as long it does not come from deep inside the mind set is never going to change.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
How about replacing the barricade idea with a 2 - 3 foot wide patch or sharp objects that are raised to deflate wheels, as soon as the lights go from Orange to Red, and are lowered as soon as they go Green from Orange? Club this with additional warnings about tire damage and fines. I am sure that would cost lesser.
I cannot even begin to imagine what this would do to the already nightmarish traffic situations we have. It will take forever to clear that mess!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is a fool-proof preventive method to stop signal jumping yet, unless of course you shoot the defaulters on sight, which is still a corrective action instead of preventive.

As for sensitizing, IMO a red light is sensitization enough. And for someone who doesn't stop at this wouldn't stop at display of accident/gory images. May be statistics from cigarette sale/consumption can help here when they started with display of oral cancer and other diseases on the cigarette packets.

Something tells me that instead of trying to filter a defect out we should look at the root cause instead. I'd say these topics are great for discussion (only) but if we really need to curb such things, lets think about eliminating the root cause (if at all we can).

Hefty fines are great to start with. I mean a 100 rupee fine, really? I don't think such fines even qualify as a deterrent. Of course people would still be bribing cops, just that instead of 10-50 rupees they'd now have to pay 100-200 as bribe.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
IIRC, on some crossroads in Pune a few years ago the 'traffic assistants' held a huge rope at the zebra crossings to prevent the vehicles from inching further.

Heard the same thing about the first traffic lights that were installed in Nagpur, to teach people that red means stop.

Only way to prevent this is to automate the process of handing out fines. No matter what time of the day or how much traffic, you jump a red light, you get served with a fine.

But to do that, we need first and foremost a centralized and updated inventory of vehicles' information all over the country. Followed by account of which transport/public vehicle was driven by who at what time. And then install cameras to capture the culprits.

But this is India. We have plenty of manpower which gives us the alternative of boosting up law enforcement. But that requires political will.

Ah i am dreaming again.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

I feel that installing some automatic spike strips will be a good idea . Even though auto and two wheeler guys still will "carry" their vehicles over it! Practically, it will be good to have cameras which capture signal jumpers and publish the photos on the BTIS website with a fine of no less than Rs 500.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

As soon as the traffic light turns red, a barricade should be lowered onto the road to physically prevent any vehicle from crossing over beyond the stop line. The barricade will be lifted only when the light turns green. This barricade would be similar to the one seen at the manned railway crossings.

Have you seen what happens at railway crossings even as the train is honking and rumbling down ominously? People want to be the last one to make it successfully before the locomotive thunders down at the very spot seconds later ... and the kind of acrobatics they do to crawl under the barricade with arched backs at cocky angles pushing the handle of their tilted bikes that tend to jam into the gate or right on the track ... like programmed zombies who believe they are meant to be like an unstoppable battle tank(s) with orders never to stop until they arrive at their target!

Even if you stop 4 wheelers the 2-wheelers and cyclists will get into your way.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 21st March 2011 at 14:15.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fine seems to me as the possible effective way to reduce (if not stop) signal jumping. Recently I have been to Trichy, where at every traffic light, there is a board, (Crossing Stop line - 50 Rupees Fine - in Tamil and English) and believe me, morning 7:30 am and 99% of the two wheelers were before the stop line. One lady inadvertently crossed a few inches and she backed up quickly to stay before the line! Just a board saying 'Signal Jumping - Fine Rs.1,000" - at every intersection, in big bold letters and I believe it would reduce lot of signal jumping!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote