Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th April 2011, 17:51   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Car damaged after getting hit by cricket ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
What does he gain by pursuing the case?. A door mirror and a taillight?. Worth 1000 bucks?

Well, if those rascals learn a thing or two by this then I would say it would be worthwhile, as atleast others can gain in the future. Going by the series if incidence I don't think they would even care, and would even repeat the same thing all over again.

Hmm. Maybe you are right. There's no point in using up the money for litigation.
But unless Vivacian doesn't want to set those guys right, I'd suggest he just files an FIR and repairs the mirror and TLs at his own cost. If the law catches up, well and good, if it doesn't, it don't matter.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 18:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

@Vivian - I would agree with most and suggest find a new parking place. The mental stress is not worth it especially assuming that you plan to stay there and not change residence. What is the point in having these safety issues at the back of your mind always for a mere Rs.1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
OT experience: My credit card was stolen and it was traced to a local boy. Filing an FIR was such a major challenge since the local goons and politicians, NGOs, boy's father, mother, uncle, aunts and their whole community either came to cry at my feet or pass grave vindicative comments. Police was with them. But FIR was ultimately filed and boy went to prison. This happened in Yerawada during late 2008.
@dot - Good Show. Credit Card theft is sure a major offence and needs to be punished. Any after effects that you experienced from the family post the boy went to prison?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 19:38   #18
BHPian

My 2 cents worth

In a practical way, if the person has local connections, it wouldn't hurt to let him know that you might call upon him in case you get into an uncomfortable situation. Let him repay in kind.

In today's world it helps to know some local bigwig.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 20:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Arkin
"Discretion is the better part of valor."

@OP
I think I go with the group's sentiment and would recommend you let it pass. Idiots will remain idiots, no point getting into a tiff with them.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 15:15   #20

Hmm. Thank you all for your suggestions. But after thinking the whole incident through we came to a conclusion that it is best to let this one pass. After all the damage done is just worth a few hundred rupees and there is no point in taking this up with the law. I have stopped parking my car on the road and now park it at my uncle's bungalow which is a few kms away. We are not using the car much anyways and this won't cause any inconvenience for now.
Vivian_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 17:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian_c View Post
Hmm. Thank you all for your suggestions. But after thinking the whole incident through we came to a conclusion that it is best to let this one pass. After all the damage done is just worth a few hundred rupees and there is no point in taking this up with the law. I have stopped parking my car on the road and now park it at my uncle's bungalow which is a few kms away. We are not using the car much anyways and this won't cause any inconvenience for now.
Though this isn't what you wanted but a wise decision nevertheless.

I'll share a story which will make you feel better about your decision. Around 10 years back we stayed in one of the posh colonies in East Delhi. The son of our landlord had bought a Santro. He used to play cricket in the colony street too but with a cosco ball. Since I never liked cricket I wouldn't play with them. One day, this guy brings a leather ball to show off that he can bat without any protective gear and asks another to bowl. When bowled he hits our neighbour's flower pot kept on the wall of their ground floor and it smashes. As soon as it happened, everybody ran in to their home and I, standing in the balcony, also decided to get inside.

The landlord's family and our neighbours weren't on talking terms so this was most likely to be turned into a huge argument however, nothing happens. I get to hear that the neighbour didn't complain or anything and didn't even speak to anybody about anything, the matter dies down.

Around 1 week passes by and one fine morning while I'm getting ready for school I hear people shouting on the street. I see from the balcony that someone's smashed the front windscreen of the landlord's son's santro and drew a smiley, like this , on the rear windscreen.

Now it was obvious to all of us that the neighbour's son (who was of the same age as us) had done it but nobody saw anything. Even to this day it remains a mystery (at least to me) as to who had vandalized his car but almost everybody in the colony claimed that their neighbour's son must have done it.

There's another incidence that happened with me when a guy (whom I had an altercation with) threatened to vandalize my car in the night and he said that I wouldn't be able to prove that he did it but I'm not sharing the details as it never happened (and am I glad about that or not) but it scared the sh** out of me for a couple of days. I still remember waking up in the middle of the night to check my car parked besides our house for those 3-4 days and my happiness knowing no bounds every morning when I'd find my car as I'd left it. I wanted to lodge a proactive FIR kind of thing in the police station as it was a possibility but my father was confident that nothing would happen and I didn't. But just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

So in the end mate, its not a bad thing to be defensive and swallow your ego in certain situations. Again, wise decision!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 13:16   #22

Wicket act of violence, News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

This is a horrifying story of what happened to a woman who just asked some people to stop playing cricket.
Vivian_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian_c View Post
Wicket act of violence, News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

This is a horrifying story of what happened to a woman who just asked some people to stop playing cricket.
Damn!!! I thought such stuff no longer happened in this country.
I hope the teachers' car was insured. I wonder why the
police haven't taken stringent action. Really condemnable.
Let me know of the outcome; I want to help.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote