Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th April 2011, 15:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Coming Soon!! Congestion Fee in New Delhi

I am in support of this decision.Parking fees should be increased both on the roads and also in malls.The moment it becomes 50rs /hour for parking ,we will automatically see a drastic drop in the number of vehicles on the roads.Europe and the US are superb examples of this .

This will also encourage people to patronise public transport.Efficient public transport can come into place only when more and more people start using them.At present ,it is not possible to have a Europe-like public transport in place in 1 week .And this I think is the right step in that direction.

I am sure most of us are so used to having everything for "free" would not accept this and would want a public transport system in place before agreeing to this fee ,as we all know for sure that this wont fall in place from day one

I would say ,even IT companies and software parks should start levying parking charges wherein employees would be forced to use public transport or office transport.Organisations in return can collect nominal monthly fees and provide employees with better transport facilities.

All said and done ,how many of us are ready to pay 50rs/hour parking fees or how many of us are okay with paid parking in our work places ?
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^
Might be the right step, but you're overlooking one point.
The reason for such a charge/fee/tax would be to encourage usage of public transport.
Hoo boy!!
Its such a drastic step in delhi to shift from your ride to that.
Ask people who use the metro to commute.
all you gain by way decongestion is lost in the productivity lost in using 3-4 moded of transport!
To levy a charge now is inexcusable.

The methodology may be compared to europe and usa,but the public transport infrastructure here is hardly in place!
Maybe there will be a drop in cars on the road, but there will still be a majority of us still using our car paying 50 bucks a pop, and giving gaalis to the approvers from deep within.

EDIT:Addedd in italics

Last edited by mayankk : 8th April 2011 at 15:35.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 16:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I am in support of this decision.Parking fees should be increased both on the roads and also in malls.The moment it becomes 50rs /hour for parking ,we will automatically see a drastic drop in the number of vehicles on the roads.Europe and the US are superb examples of this .

This will also encourage people to patronise public transport.Efficient public transport can come into place only when more and more people start using them.At present ,it is not possible to have a Europe-like public transport in place in 1 week .And this I think is the right step in that direction.

I am sure most of us are so used to having everything for "free" would not accept this and would want a public transport system in place before agreeing to this fee ,as we all know for sure that this wont fall in place from day one

I would say ,even IT companies and software parks should start levying parking charges wherein employees would be forced to use public transport or office transport.Organisations in return can collect nominal monthly fees and provide employees with better transport facilities.

All said and done ,how many of us are ready to pay 50rs/hour parking fees or how many of us are okay with paid parking in our work places ?
Well thought out post.
One question though.
If no bus comes to an IT professionals house, or office, how do you propose he reaches office. Do you propose that govt will provide free cab service for that professional to reach office?
What if he wants to go to the market, and no bus comes to take him to market. Will govt provide him free cab service?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 16:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well thought out post.
One question though.
If no bus comes to an IT professionals house, or office, how do you propose he reaches office. Do you propose that govt will provide free cab service for that professional to reach office?
What if he wants to go to the market, and no bus comes to take him to market. Will govt provide him free cab service?
IT company will provide this .All this wont fall into place unless we co-operate.
When B7Rs were introduced in Bangalore ,they were with the intention of reducing single person driven cars .Everyone started speaking about how these would be white elephants for the BMTC ,how these buses wouldnt come to one's door step .Look at what we have today .These buses run full like mumbai local trains .We have BMTC Volvo services throughtout Bangalore .

And,we cant have buses coming to our doorstep.We can have cabs and autorickshaws come to our apartments
We can keep on debating on this .But unless we make a start and unless we start co-operating nothing will fall in place.
I fully support the idea of having huge tolls and parking fees with varying rates depending on peak hours and holidays.

I remember ,one of my colleagues in the US mentioning as to how parking space is so expensive in downtown Minneapolis ( Minnesota,US) and how even the MD of our company which is a Fortune 50 company had to pay for parking.As a result ,most of them drove to a particular point outside the city and parked at a parking lot and then took the shuttle bus to work.

Unless ,we have such policies in place,we would never have a solution as all of us would say "give me public transport ,I will not drive/ride " .Govt will say " how can we give public transport,if there are no users "

and Why should we expect "free"

Last edited by speedsatya : 8th April 2011 at 16:25.
Old 8th April 2011, 16:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Satya, if you can just explain why Delhi metro is overcrowded with passengers if people are not willing to use it ?
If only the infrastructure is in place will the people use it. Don't expect people to pay for everything in advance and then still not be able to use the facility for which they paid, the way corruption is in our country.
And excuse me, but we are not used to having everything for "free".As you must be aware that we have even paid and still paying for the non-existing infrastructure, the money for which is going into the corrupt politicos swiss bank account. Also we common people are paying so that the corrupt goverment can have everything for "free".
Just pay 50rs/hour for parking once and I am sure you yourself will come back swearing at the government for charging so much.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 8th April 2011 at 16:30.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 16:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
We can have cabs and autorickshaws come to our apartments
How does using cabs and autorickshaws equate to using mass transit solutions like buses and trains?
Neither is it environmentally friendlier, nor is it economically cheaper to NOT use your own vehicle.

Last edited by Neilguy : 8th April 2011 at 16:33.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 16:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

All I am saying is that the govt can use this money to build better public transport systems and at the same time discourage road users from using their vehicles unnecessarily.

Petrolheads like us will continue to drive even if its 100 rs /hour .

I have paid 10 GBP /hour as parking and driven to work .But after 1 week ,I started taking the bus even if that meant me had to walk 1 km in freezing winter rains .

Cabs wont equate to buses,but for people who cant walk an option like a cab or a rick will always be needed.On pollution,auto makers will invest more on newer technology only if they see sales for their products.Higher parking fees equate to lesser personal vehicles which in turn mean higher usage of public transport which in turn equates to more options

Last edited by speedsatya : 8th April 2011 at 16:56.
Old 8th April 2011, 17:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
All I am saying is that the govt can use this money to build better public transport systems and at the same time discourage road users from using their vehicles unnecessarily.
Government using the money to build better public transport system? You are a very optimistic guy .

The problem with your argument is that if the public transport was good, people wouldn't be using their personal transport in the first place( Just look at Mumbai where most people prefer the public transport rather than private vehicles ) . You are talking from the point of Bangalore where public transport is atleast bearable. Come to Gurgaon and you will see that public transport is non existent and the auto guys here make bangalore autowallahs look like saints.
Not to mention the safety issues with women travelling alone. Everyday there are atleast a few reports of women being harassed, raped or murdered in the capital and surrounding regions. So having a personal vehicle is almost a compulsion here. So now the government thinks that the simplest way to solving the problem is to just put a tax so that people will stop using private vehicles and solve all the problems. Wow, what a genius idea .

And it's not like the road congestion has started today. When I was in melbourne, I used to notice that when building roads and tollways, the governments used to plan based on the traffic estimates for 20 years ahead. Here, we plan based on the next 5 years and by the time, the plan clears the red tape and gets all the approvals , the 5 years have already elapsed and by the time the construction is completed, it is already not able to cope up with the growth.
More taxes is not the solution. We are already paying a lot of taxes( road tax for non existent roads, education tax for non existent/ non working education system, and countless more taxes ) and the same money could have been used to provide better roads and better public transport. The solution is in better planning, better utilisation of public money and reducing red tape and corruption.

Last edited by Newpunter : 8th April 2011 at 17:01.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 17:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why I am paying tax for?
So that Govt makes infrastructure and messes up royally in the planning?
The non existent city planning and haphazard shortcuts lead to congestion and other problems?
So I pay an extra tax for this congestion, as if I AM THE GUILTY party? After all I created this congestion? Govt takes money out of my pocket to solve the problems created by its own Babus?

What a world.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 17:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
IT company will provide this .All this wont fall into place unless we co-operate.
When B7Rs were introduced in Bangalore ,they were with the intention of reducing single person driven cars .Everyone started speaking about how these would be white elephants for the BMTC ,how these buses wouldnt come to one's door step .Look at what we have today .These buses run full like mumbai local trains .We have BMTC Volvo services throughtout Bangalore .

And,we cant have buses coming to our doorstep.We can have cabs and autorickshaws come to our apartments
We can keep on debating on this .But unless we make a start and unless we start co-operating nothing will fall in place.
I fully support the idea of having huge tolls and parking fees with varying rates depending on peak hours and holidays.

I remember ,one of my colleagues in the US mentioning as to how parking space is so expensive in downtown Minneapolis ( Minnesota,US) and how even the MD of our company which is a Fortune 50 company had to pay for parking.As a result ,most of them drove to a particular point outside the city and parked at a parking lot and then took the shuttle bus to work.

Unless ,we have such policies in place,we would never have a solution as all of us would say "give me public transport ,I will not drive/ride " .Govt will say " how can we give public transport,if there are no users "

and Why should we expect "free"
Satya you talk about better public transport, imagine this you are in your vehicle on the BRT in Delhi and suddenly you see 5 DTC buses of the same route number arriving all at once and then you wouldn't find even a single bus of that route number for the next 1 hour. Now if these guys can't even time it right how do we expect them to have an organised public transport system.

The government owned DTC buses and the poiliticos have no respect for the red lights which leads to congestion just because the bus wanted to jump a red light and couldn't in time and created a traffic jam.

Now if the government cant bring these drivers to norms the public transportation system is never going to improve even if all of us pay our taxes for the next 10 years in advance (as you said that the infrastructure doesn't improve in a week).

And last but not the least "Nothing in this world is free.... everything has a price"

Just my thoughts and some facts...

Cheers..

Last edited by The_Warrior : 8th April 2011 at 17:39. Reason: Spell Check
The_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 16:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Congestion Fee now proposed in Mumbai

Just read this news on TOI.
While New Delhi's congestion tax implementation looks far away, the CM of Mumbai is himself hinting at levying congestion tax in Mumbai.
Read here.
CM hints at congestion tax - The Times of India
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote