Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 21:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Police/ Security Checking Cars: Is it Legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
The security personnel in hotels and malls have NO IDEA what to look for when they check. I once asked them what they were looking for and when they'd stop me. They had no idea what they were looking for.

All these checks are waste of time and I can't remember ONE incident when these guys caught ANYTHING at all.

Marriot Chennai security wants the visitors to open the car bonnet, as if the bomb will be carried in a visible manner.
It's called 'Security Theater'. It's mainly so that if something does happen, no one should say that it happened because that hotel/mall didn't have proper security measures.

It's thoroughly useless. I avoid going to malls mainly for this reason.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd September 2012, 19:10   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy

It's called 'Security Theater'. It's mainly so that if something does happen, no one should say that it happened because that hotel/mall didn't have proper security measures.

It's thoroughly useless. I avoid going to malls mainly for this reason.
Well i always make fun of these security guards by telling em "Seat ke neeche chupa ke rakha hai" and intimidate them after they close the boot "Aae bhai truck ka darwaaza hai kya.. dheere se band karne ko nai hota hai" kinda puts them in a fix its fun.
mitesh.singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:36   #18
BHPian

So this thread is basically about poor soft skills!!! Lol.

Jokes apart,these security checks do act as a deterrent for many antisocial elements. Druggies, pehophiles,mischief makers, chain snatchers ,shop lifters etc al.

Soft skills are much needed though!

Last year in Ludhiana they had ncc cadets, boys and girls, asking people to put on seat belts,not jump lights,lower beams etc. It was nice! And in a week I started buckling up in the city .... much better than cops throwing sticks!!!
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

Jokes apart,these security checks do act as a deterrent for many antisocial elements. Druggies, pehophiles,mischief makers, chain snatchers ,shop lifters etc al.

Why would druggies, pedophiles, mischief makers, chain snatches, shop lifters be bothered at all by security checks which happen to vehicles and people at entry points to malls?

i.e. does the beeping thingumajig at security posts start beeping if a pedophile passes through it?
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:37   #20
BHPian

It's based on the age old concept that bombs/explosives are huge and only fit the boot. With the current tech and sci size is no longer a constraint eh.
Personally I don't mind getting the car's boot checked everytime I enter a mall/complex, if nothing else, atleast due to the stoppage, people remain within sane speed limits at parking entrances; otherwise they're just zooming all along.

What I really hate though is, personal checking by HAND! That feels so gross to me that I've actually stopped going to malls if avoidable. Security is important yeah, check me with a metal detector, beeper something, not with the same hands the guards are sneezing/scratching/eating/etc with.
negativeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Why would druggies, pedophiles, mischief makers, chain snatches, shop lifters be bothered at all by security checks which happen to vehicles and people at entry points to malls?

i.e. does the beeping thingumajig at security posts start beeping if a pedophile passes through it?
Thanks for the sarcasm!!

It just means that crazy people will be discouraged from doing crazy stuff because there are random security checks!
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the sarcasm!!

It just means that crazy people will be discouraged from doing crazy stuff because there are random security checks!
First, this is not a random security check. Everyone entering the mall is checked. And I still don't see how it will discourage crazy people from doing crazy stuff. They do once they are inside. How will an entry security check affect them?
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:

First, this is not a random security check. Everyone entering the mall is checked. And I still don't see how it will discourage crazy people from doing crazy stuff. They do once they are inside. How will an entry security check affect them?
Dude the everyday security checks are to keep mischief makers at bay.and maybe deter terrorist elements.

Let me enlighten you with an analogy. The locks we put on our houses everyday are to prevent mischievous passersby from entering the house while were
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Dude the everyday security checks are to keep mischief makers at bay.and maybe deter terrorist elements.

Let me enlighten you with an analogy. The locks we put on our houses everyday are to prevent mischievous passersby from entering the house while were away and act as a deterrent for thieves.
But!! It is zero protection from a serious dacoit or a gang of thieves ..

I hope you are able to understand my POV now....
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Let me enlighten you with an analogy. The locks we put on our houses everyday are to prevent mischievous passersby from entering the house while were away and act as a deterrent for thieves.
But!! It is zero protection from a serious dacoit or a gang of thieves ..

I hope you are able to understand my POV now....
Actually, I am not(with respect to entry inspections). I don't see how a cursory entry vehicle check or person check can stop a terrorist or a pedophile. You just keep repeating your POV. You are not giving any data or reasons to prove it actually works.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:34   #26
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Police/ Security Checking Cars: Is it Legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Actually, I am not(with respect to entry inspections). I don't see how a cursory entry vehicle check or person check can stop a terrorist or a pedophile. You just keep repeating your POV. You are not giving any data or reasons to prove it actually works.
Its simple..
These things are done just to make a fear in the minds of people so that they don't do any unexpected things. Its also a way to show the authority of the guards that they can frisk you anywhere. Its just psychological games !! There are many freaks out in the public who will do some mischeif at any point where they see that there is no one to monitor them.

Its just like a police vehicle patroling a residential area in random manner in nights so that these kind of freaks cannot roam free and do illegal things.

Hpoe you understood the intentions..
acatgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 15:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatgain View Post
Its simple..
These things are done just to make a fear in the minds of people so that they don't do any unexpected things. Its also a way to show the authority of the guards that they can frisk you anywhere. Its just psychological games !! There are many freaks out in the public who will do some mischeif at any point where they see that there is no one to monitor them.

Its just like a police vehicle patroling a residential area in random manner in nights so that these kind of freaks cannot roam free and do illegal things.

Hpoe you understood the intentions..
My question is how the ridiculous car check at the gate help in this. Why not just have the same security guys moving around in the mall. Why have them check cars - how does that help?
Old 4th October 2012, 17:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
My question is how the ridiculous car check at the gate help in this. Why not just have the same security guys moving around in the mall. Why have them check cars - how does that help?
There may be hundreds of ways to do the same thing.. But, before implementing any one these gets weighted and measured with a lot of scales. All may not be practical or even feasible in terms of economics or human resources..

If you want security guys moving around in malls- How many security personell you think may be needed ? If its a medium sized mall you may need at least 10+ per floor to roam around the alleys and retail shops, So for a five floored mall the count goes above 50. Even that number may increace if the mall gets crowded for special occasions or so. Instead of all these two or three securites at each entrances will be highly weighted on the economic scale.

Moreover will you be comfortable inside the mall if you see security roaming and watching around you while you were selecting your jeans with your friends ?
acatgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 17:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatgain View Post
If you want security guys moving around in malls- How many security personell you think may be needed ? If its a medium sized mall you may need at least 10+ per floor to roam around the alleys and retail shops, So for a five floored mall the count goes above 50. Even that number may increace if the mall gets crowded for special occasions or so. Instead of all these two or three securites at each entrances will be highly weighted on the economic scale.

Moreover will you be comfortable inside the mall if you see security roaming and watching around you while you were selecting your jeans with your friends ?
I don't select jeans with my friends.

Most malls have lots of security guys standing all around the place. Hence the question - why the additional gate car check. Which you feel is to discourage mischief makers. I still don't see how adding a gate car check is going dissuade mischief makers. Your repeating it again & again is not going to make it true

IMHO, it's all security theater. If later on, an attack happens via something transported into the mall via a car, then the mall people can always say "But we took basic precautions. It's not our fault that the attacker didn't keep the thing in the dickie and label it nicely for our security guards to detect in a cursory check".

I, for one, avoid malls as far as possible just to avoid the car checks, the frisking etc. I buy most of my stuff from independent stores solely for this reason. I must have visited a mall, maybe once in the last 6 months.

Last edited by carboy : 4th October 2012 at 17:52.
Old 4th October 2012, 18:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I, for one, avoid malls as far as possible just to avoid the car checks, the frisking etc. I buy most of my stuff from independent stores solely for this reason. I must have visited a mall, maybe once in the last 6 months.
Yes, Thats the correct spirit. I too belive the same.. "If you cannot change others change yourselves !! ". I too avoid Malls for a different reason - as the prices at most shops does not even have sky as their limit ! better buy from independent stores where they pass on their part of profit which they save from the rents compared to at the malls.

These kind of frisking also happens in the software companies daily. When I enter my office they daily check the underbody of the car using a mirror. In some days when the police heightens the security alert they check the glove box and the boot. My bag that gets carried inside the building needs to be opened and shown. But, I can't leave my job because of these. Then you got checking everywhere in Airports. Your baggage can be checked , You can be checked and what all. You can't avoid flying in Aeroplanes for that reason.

Adjusting is the key.

Last edited by acatgain : 4th October 2012 at 18:16.
acatgain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote