Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2012, 09:09   #31
BHPian

Default Re: MINI Cars Launched @ Auto Expo 2012

So classwise, it will be the Fiat 500, VW Beetle and now the Mini. Is the Audi TT also in the same segment ?

Even if i could not hope to own them, it would be nice to ogle at them. Even a view of such cars tend to 'brighten my day'!
Old 10th January 2012, 09:10   #32
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Let me put it this way, Vij Sir..

Someone looking to buy a Mini Countryman wouldn't look at the Yeti as an option. For him/her, the options would be more like the Audi Q3 and the BMW X1, or maybe even the base-Land Rover Freelander.

And someone looking to buy a mini-SUV/crossover in the 15-20 lakh bracket wouldn't even bother looking at the Countryman because it would be way out of his budget. It's sad, but true.
Suhaas sir

In India, Mini Cooper(forget the Countryman, forget even the S) is priced higher than even the BMW X1 and equal to 3 series because of stuff we all know. That is what seems off. Thats all.

Last edited by vij : 10th January 2012 at 09:11.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:36   #33
BHPian

In a way MINI (along with Beetle and ilk) form the improvised version of the erstwhile VDis scheme. I reckon no tax paying citizen will ever put her/his hard earned money on these, knowing fully well that more than half of it goes to the exchequer. Its a win-win for all at the end of the day - the tax man gets his due, one way or the other, and you get a toy as incentive for paying taxes, although indirectly.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:43   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks Rehaan. If any idea if they offering ALL4 (AWD) option for the Countryman in India?
No mention of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
do they sell these cars with a diesel engine in the rest of the world?
Yep : Mini Cooper SD announced - BBC Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
One question. If the cars brought to India are CBUs, why can't buying a Mini Cooper S with the stick shift be an option?

Buying a Cooper S with the slushbox is sacrilege!
Agree!
The only reason i can think of is reduced cost of homologation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
If the VW Beetle can sell well in India so can the Mini even if its priced so high.
True, though there is a bit of a price difference between the MINI and the Beetle.

I wonder if the fact that the MINI is considered a "small car" will give it another disadvantage against the Beetle (in addition to price) - given the way most indians equate size to price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Mini India website lists Mini inspired by Goodwood: Was this not launched in autoexpo?
It seems to be a special edition. Wasn't present there.

Quote:
Generally, cars like the Mini, the Beetle, etc. are 2nd or 3rd editions to a rich-garage.
Absolutely -- and this is the ONLY reason that MINIs will sell at this price.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th January 2012 at 12:00.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 11:48   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Agree!
The only reasons i can think of is reduced cost of homologation.
I have a different theory.

I'd read somewhere, that companies (Porsche in particular) try and avoid selling manual stick-shift equipped cars, and prefer selling automatic-transmission equipped cars in India. This could be attributed to the quick- wear & tear of the clutch due to nasty traffic conditions, and the huge price the customer will have to pay to get the clutch and its assembly replaced?

I'm not sure though.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics Rehaan! Really funky looking interiors. Loved the speedo console design. The crazy bhps will be fun on the highway, but sadly, the 18 inchers are debatable.

The cars might be really good, but pricing it above the 320d CE and the X1 seems to be a bad move. I think if the customer has to choose between Beetle and Mini, only the Mini fanboys (and fangirls) will go for it.

If only they could look at CKD options. Sigh! :(

Last edited by _raVan_ : 10th January 2012 at 12:12.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:15   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I believe in past Mini was a poor mans car just like what M800 was to us .Now look what greedy people have done they have made it expensive than even luxury sedans , SUV's .

If BMW would have done some work and be able to price it at approx 10-15lakhs than BMW would have definitely sold the largest number ever in India .
Old 10th January 2012, 12:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

I cant remember the last time i ever spent so much time looking at a car interior other than these Mini's.I dont know who their interior designer is,but that man has some talent and taste!What incredible detailing,every little switch component is made with such style and everything gels together so well!

The speedo,the needles,the font,the round vents,the shape of the door trims,the swtches all just recks of style!
Old 10th January 2012, 12:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

True, though there is a bit of a price difference between the MINI and the Beetle.

I wonder if the fact that the MINI is considered a "small car" will give it another disadvantage against the Beetle (in addition to price) - given the way most indians equate size to price.

Maybe the small car tag will not let it sell that much.
Example being the Fiat 500 which was a Total Flop.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:36   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post

Maybe the small car tag will not let it sell that much.
Example being the Fiat 500 which was a Total Flop.

Hi Rohin!

I believe Fiat sold a very limited number of 500s in India. It was only for the sake of promotion of the Fiat brand that was in tatters. Fiat sold the quota of 500s in no time, I'd heard. If I remember correctly, they were priced under 20 lakhs, and came powered by the same 1.3 MJD that we've become used to.

Sorry for going OT.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 14:55   #41
BHPian

drool worthy minis. They have been my dream cars for a long time. Though I am far from being able to shell out more than 20L for a car,I still dream about them.

Having said that, the Minis (my knowledge - could be incorrect) is not a cheap car even in the UK by any means. No reason why it should be in India. People buy it for its quirkiness and not because its a value for money etc etc. IMHO
Old 10th January 2012, 18:39   #42
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
drool worthy minis. They have been my dream cars for a long time. Though I am far from being able to shell out more than 20L for a car,I still dream about them.

Having said that, the Minis (my knowledge - could be incorrect) is not a cheap car even in the UK by any means. No reason why it should be in India. People buy it for its quirkiness and not because its a value for money etc etc. IMHO
Just because you mentioned - the mini is not exactly considered expensive. I think it starts at around 15,000
vij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:58   #43
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Also, the Yeti is not completely imported here. It's not a CBU. As far as I know, it is assembled here, and when a car is assembled in India, it will be a whole lot cheaper to sell. The Mini Countryman, on the other hand, will be an import. I highly doubt BMW has any plans of assembling it here anytime soon. And because it's a CBU, it attracts a much higher duty.
Exactly my point. The problem is, me as a buyer would consider countryman at around 20lkhs, but not 30, because another euro crossover suv is available at 16lks. ckd or cbu.
Old 10th January 2012, 21:14   #44
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Saw the interview of some bigshot representing Mini on the occasion of the Auto Expo and Mini Cooper launch in India. Saw it on TV, not able to locate it on YouTube.

What struck me was the gentleman almost sounded like Mini is doing India a favour by coming to India. When asked about the pricing being too high, he said that people buy the brand and not the product.

I do understand that Mini has a legacy and there is a huge fan following. I am a big fan myself. But the guy mentioning that - Mini sells in 99 countries and there is no reason it won't in the 100th country - sounded like they have not done their homework and are counting on purely the brand power of the Mini for a successful tenure in India.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 21:17   #45
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Saw the interview of some bigshot representing Mini on the occasion of the Auto Expo and Mini Cooper launch in India. Saw it on TV, not able to locate it on YouTube.

What struck me was the gentleman almost sounded like Mini is doing India a favour by coming to India. When asked about the pricing being too high, he said that people buy the brand and not the product.

I do understand that Mini has a legacy and there is a huge fan following. I am a big fan myself. But the guy mentioning that - Mini sells in 99 countries and there is no reason it won't in the 100th country - sounded like they have not done their homework and are counting on purely the brand power of the Mini for a successful tenure in India.
Yes, I noticed it too - the same has been floating around. With talk like 'they are giving an opportunity to Indians getting Mini here' even though the prices are jack-assed up!
Closed Thread