Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2012, 21:15   #46

The rep at Infinity motors confirmed that cars booked by February would be delivered by June; the next lot will arrive only by August.
Cooper S OTR price 33.5 in Mumbai. On a ex- showroom of 28, this means 5.5 in taxes.
Talk about adding insult to injury!

EDIT: Gulp. Just recalculated. Read that as 36.26 OTR Mumbai

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th January 2012 at 23:25. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 11th January 2012, 22:24   #47
vij
BHPian

Default Re: MINI Cars Launched @ Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Condor View Post
Gulp. Just recalculated. Read that as 36.26 OTR Mumbai
nice. But there are a few people who will still buy it as their nth car - the kind who spend millions on paintings. BMW got this here for those people.

This animal's named BMW by me. Is that a horse or a dog by the way.

Last edited by vij : 11th January 2012 at 22:27.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Without Agreeing or Disagreeing with anyone here, some facts I would like to share,

1. Mini India is going to do what no one ever has been able to, BMW India has done its entire research and they did not do this with impulse, if it was impulse it was possible to do it back in 2008 itself when first the idea came to mind, Yes some of us may find it expensive, and some may think why this and why not that, the point is here we are talking of a brand that exists in the minds of all in a lot better manner then what the Fiat 500 or Perhaps the beetle does, and I do not want to go into which car has more heritage but with BMW India's back up, the Mini is here to stay, and in a very good manner. Can VW or Fiat 500 have it's own dedicated dealers? No! Mini will!

Anyone thinking Mini is cheap abroad do see the below, (Cooper S)

In Germany, Cooper S is for 23,650 Euros, which when you use xe.com gives you the net figure of, 15,58,795.51 INR and for those who know that base price does not include anything and comes in manual trim, and do multiply the base cost into our custom duty and it works out close to 32,00,000 (Approx) INR/-

UK Price is 18,075
USA Price is 23,800

(I do not wish to debate on economies and I know about that I am only talking of car prices here)

But coming back to the Indian package you have the following as standard,

1. Auto Transmission
2. Sports Seats
3. Chrome Package
4. Auto Climate control
5. Xenon Lights
6. Fog Lamps
7. Park Distance Control
8. Dash Surface in Piano Black etc.
9. 16" Alloys
10. Lights Package
11. Rear Spoiler

And a few other things which do not come to mind,

Believe me the car is well priced, if you find it expensive, perhaps it is but a lot has got to do with our tax structure where some states apply double RTO for CBU's, a benefit you will get from next year as CKD operations will start by Mid 2013, right now it was not possible as they do not have the capacity and needed it for the upcoming 3, which is the reason why the Mini was bought in before the 1.

Also the Mini Cooper and it's variants get a complete new model range from 2013 which is what BMW India will start CKD operations for, and for now I recommend everyone who needs one, unless you are a die hard fan of the current car, do wait a year the upcoming model will be a wonderful wait, and until then you can always satisfy your Mini dreams with a CountryMan, and no it's not a 4x4.

The response for Mini is wonderful, and by the end of 2013 once all dealers are up you will see from 2014 what an impact this will make, and no it's never going to sell as much as an i10, but thats not the intention either, it's a life style product, and will remains so in good numbers.

Also about someone sounding like he's doing us a favor by coming here, no please try not take comments in the wrong sense no one in BMW or any car maker thinks in those lines, it's perhaps only a figure of speech and do know a lot of these heads are not as good with english as some here would be, BMW has big plans for India, because they are expecting Big from India, and until now India has not disappointed, nor has BMW India.

Once again, the above is my personal opinion, and if any part of it was offensive do not take it that way as I would never intend to do that.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 17:47   #49
Team-BHP Support

Reports floating around of a 100+ bookings for the MINIs already. (I'm assuming this figure includes only the people who've put down the 10-lakh deposit?)

cya
R
Old 12th January 2012, 18:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

The figure has crossed 200! And the momentum will get better with more dealers and also stock cars and lastly the arrival of new Mini in 2013 in CKD formats,

Regards,
Old 12th January 2012, 18:49   #51
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
The figure has crossed 200! And the momentum will get better with more dealers and also stock cars and lastly the arrival of new Mini in 2013 in CKD formats,

Regards,
I did expect this. There are enough 'painting guys'(like I mentioned) and 'enthusiasts' who will gobble this up if BMW were to price it at even 50L - but it is after the initial burst that the true picture will evolve. But I dont think BMW cares that much. They just want a few of these cars out there for now.

Man, I love this car - wish the Mini Cooper comes down to ~18-20 OTR some day. Thats like 10L off the OTR now. Long way off I would think.

@350
Ofcourse, you are right about the price being 'right' from a dealers/manufacturers point of view. But from a buyers point of view, it is overpriced in the end - whoever the culprit is (tax guys).

Last edited by vij : 12th January 2012 at 18:55.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

The price bracket of 16-19 lac is being kept open for the BMW 1, the Mini will never come to that price band, but then a few years down you will always get wonderful pre-owned cars!

And this is not just initial hype the momentum will continue, like I said previously individual dealers are being set for Mini, they would not do this if volumes were not good enough,

Regards,
Old 12th January 2012, 19:05   #53
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
The price bracket of 16-19 lac is being kept open for the BMW 1, the Mini will never come to that price band, but then a few years down you will always get wonderful pre-owned cars!

And this is not just initial hype the momentum will continue, like I said previously individual dealers are being set for Mini, they would not do this if volumes were not good enough,

Regards,
I see. Any news on when the BMW 1 is expected in India? I am just trying to get into the holy trinity group at the least cost possible (~20L)

Edit: Hmm...the 1 may be long long way off.

Last edited by vij : 12th January 2012 at 19:15.
Old 21st January 2012, 19:31   #54
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures! The day I went which was for the supposedly exclusive launch party, was a crazy free-for-all with a crowd who didnt seem to want to do anything else other than sit at the wheel in each car and get their pictures taken. I couldnt even inspect one of the mini models in peace. Which is too bad, since it's been my dream car since forever and after.

What started off as such an exciting countdown for me,was actually, quite a huge disappointment. I actually won a competition on the MINI site//facebook which is why I got invited to the launch party. Other than hordes of people including families with 6 year olds racing all over the place, the launch was so disappointing. Part of the MINI mystique is the buzz and branding,it was so tame though with two acrobats doing a few jumps and a boring speech, not to mention starting two hours later than announced! Some of the BMW reps couldnt answer basic questions related to ground-clearance, torque etc [not just for the MINI but also for the 330D etc]. Also,a no-no for a launch in India, not a single thing for a vegetarian to eat!

Anyway, I couldn't care much about all that, I was ready to book the MINI even after getting a minor attack over the price, when I found out that it would be launched only in automatic transmission. I think I havent come so close to crying in a long time!! :(

Seriously, what's the point of automatic? MINI India said that no plans for manual to come in for the next two years atleast and even at this price, they are looking at completely outstripping Fiat 500 and Beetle where numbers are concerned.

Anyway, Infinity will send me across a model for a test drive, will atleast drive a MINI on Indian roads and post a review on Team-BHP.
Old 21st January 2012, 19:59   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Condor View Post
EDIT: Gulp. Just recalculated. Read that as 36.26 OTR Mumbai
Gulp indeed. That would mean the Mini Cooper S would cost a shade under 40 lakhs OTR in Bangalore!

Not happening, BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post

This animal's named BMW by me. Is that a horse or a dog by the way.
OT

This emoticon represents a person 'flogging a dead horse', which is a popular idiom that points to any futile-attempt to continue doing something that has reached a dead-end, or has no further purpose, and is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Thanks for the pictures...

What started off as such an exciting countdown for me,was actually, quite a huge disappointment...

Part of the MINI mystique is the buzz and branding,it was so tame though with two acrobats doing a few jumps and a boring speech, not to mention starting two hours later than announced! Some of the BMW reps couldnt answer basic questions related to ground-clearance, torque etc [not just for the MINI but also for the 330D etc]. Also,a no-no for a launch in India, not a single thing for a vegetarian to eat!
That is some poor PR work by BMW.

Not being good hosts is one thing, but not having adequate information on the product at launch is horrendous and inexcusable. You'd expect a company like BMW to be prepared for something like this. Sad.

Quote:
...I was ready to book the MINI even after getting a minor attack over the price, when I found out that it would be launched only in automatic transmission. I think I havent come so close to crying in a long time...

Seriously, what's the point of automatic? MINI India said that no plans for manual to come in for the next two years atleast and even at this price, they are looking at completely outstripping Fiat 500 and Beetle where numbers are concerned.

A Mini is supposed to be a fun-to-drive car. A car with character and a certain air of flamboyance. It's supposed to engage its driver at all times! What's engaging about an auto-transmission? A proper manual tranny is always the way to go.

I would have understood if the AT is standard on the Countryman, but on the Cooper? That's blasphemy!

Let's forget about the Fiat 500, as that was sold in limited numbers anyway. How is going to pose a threat to the Beetle? At 25 lakhs, the Beetle is actually a whole 10 lakhs cheaper than the Mini.

Quote:
Anyway, Infinity will send me across a model for a test drive, will atleast drive a MINI on Indian roads and post a review on Team-BHP.
I'll be looking forward to that.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2012 at 20:01.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:28   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note : The Mini Cooper Official Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks

Well, IMO the Mini still have the FTD factor with the said character and flamboyance, even with the auto box. And it’s supremely engaging to drive. I guess the idea of AT = no fun is fast becoming a thing of the past, especially in the premium segment.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2012 at 14:24. Reason: Adding link to official review
Closed Thread