Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 18th February 2014, 22:45   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched

Want to see how hand built the AMG 6.2 L V8 is?

deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 15:14   #62
BANNED

Default Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Had the C 63 S AMG for 2 days. With a 4 litre V8 Biturbo engine that churns out 510 Bhp @ 5000 - 6250 rpm and 700 Nm of torque from 1750 to 4500 rpm. It's more powerful than the C 63 AMG which has 476 Bhp. Mercedes claims that its 0-100 timing of 4 seconds makes it the fastest sedan. With the M5 and M3 doing it at 4.3 they could be right.

Get into the driver's seat and you are with a sea of levers, buttons and toggle gadgetry ..yes a first look can be a bit intimidating even if you've seen most of this in other cars. So the first thing to do is find the gear lever - fairly simple - it's one among the 8 levers behind the steering. Move it into D and then you're off - slowly - so that you get to know the car - after all you're driving the worlds fastest sedan. Then at the first open and empty long stretch I floor it and can reach about 80% of the 2nd gear before I reached the end of the stretch !! Took the corner and the car was wallowing through it at speed which surprised me but that was because the car was in "Comfort" mode.

Driving the car in the city, the engine can be made to drive as slowly as an Alto without any hesitation or stalling at any speed. Part of what most high performance cars have as a feature these days is this easy driveability in the city so that you can use it to do your shopping and other errands too if you feel like it.

Get to the really open roads, toggle the car into Sport, pull the paddle shift twice or thrice to get the car into the right gear and you also get to hear that delicious growl from the engine with each auto blip. Then open the flaps so that you hear more of the exhaust note. Set the screen to display CG or torque and when you're ready, floor it to know what it does to you when you want to get to 100 kmph in 4 seconds flat. Just remember that you'll a really open stretch before you dare to try even 60% of its acceleration. The shove in your back is relentless and you can only get to 4 of the 7 gears before you've run out of road. Shifts are extremely fast with AMG's Sport transmission.

With all this power on tap the car is surprisingly nimble through corners at speeds that could get you an infraction if you even think about it. Most corners are despatched with a max of 70% of the effort you'll need with other high speed cars. And you get the feeling that the car just said "Is that all you've got?" once you've crossed the corner. Tyre squeal is quite difficult to induce unlike the 530d where it's quite easy - of course size has a part to play here.

Even though it rides on 19 inch wheels the high speed stability is very good and the car doesn't get tossed around on small ridges and minor uneven bits as usually happens when you ride on 19 inch wheels. AMG have done a fantastic job of tuning the suspension and their objective to meet comfort and stability at slow and high speeds seems to have been met. The ride almost tends on the soft side in "Comfort" mode.

The engine is so smooth that even the TSI engines seem rougher in comparison. And that even fools you into thinking you aren't gunning the engine enough.

The paddle shifts are quick with a delightfully deep growl in the auto blip on the downshifts. You have an option to open the exhaust flaps to hear more of that deep throated burble inside the car. One little party trick is when you're slowing down is to take your foot of the accelerator, coast for a bit and then use the paddle shift to shift to a lower gear. The deep throated
growl by the auto blip that emanates from the car when you do this is almost orgasmic.

There are 5 dynamic modes - Individual, Comfort, Sport, Sport + and Race. Sport is all that you need on most roads and Sport + is something you try on wide open empty roads. Race is when you tell the car to switch off all its nannies and is best tried on a track and if you know what you're doing. You can also program a Race Start so as to get the best acceleration on a track or the best 0-100 times.

Surprisingly, the car I had was prone to a very minor brake judder during high speed braking. Not something you'd expect from a car at this level of the game.

Smaller yet significant stuff:

1. You can have the CG displayed to get an idea of how you're handling the car or the G forces displayed to assess the impact of your speed or the more ordinary torque displayed on a large digital circular meter. And more.

2. Like the GT-R and some others each engine is hand built by a single individual.

3. Hence like the GT-R every engine would have a slightly different power output.

4. If the individual goes on leave, the engine is covered with a silk cloth and left untouched till he's back.

5. An AMG customer can visit the AMG factory and when he does, his national flag is displayed outside the factory. Cuisine of his nation would be served too. Only one customer is allowed to visit in a day.

6. Is there a catch to all of this? Yes, 2 of them : 1. It costs Rs.1.6 crores and 2. FE in your books should stand for Feeling Exhilarated.

Btw, the AMG guys say I was among the better they've seen handling this car. I don't know if that's good or bad. But it's certainly flattering.

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2016 at 09:47. Reason: As requested
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (25) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 22:39   #63
BANNED

Pics of the C63 S:

1. The small S after the C 63 tells you that this is the fastest production sedan.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4103.jpg

2. This is what gives out the 510 bhp and the 700 NM of torque.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4102.jpg

3. You wouldn't think that these wheels could also give you a "soft' ride.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4101.jpg

4. The office room.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4104.jpg

5. Boost indicator displayed in the centre.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4106.jpg

6. The various Dynamic modes displayed - Individual, Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Race.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4113.jpg

7. The second button on the right side under the Volume control (with the dual exhaust pipe symbol) is used to open the exhaust flaps and hear more
of the rumble. The other buttons are the usual ones - toggle for changing the dynamic modes, selecting manual drive, activating suspension settings, switching off ESP, Volume control, (A with a circular arrow) - for activating Eco Start/Stop etc
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4108.jpg

8. The torque meter!
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4109.jpg

9. This is the Display for the Centre of Gravity and the G forces. The round red object on the roof indicates the position of the Centre of Gravity and the Dotted Circle with 0 near the front right wheel is the G Force Display.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4107.jpg

10. How do you know if you're a true blue petrol head ?? You think that the car plays better tunes through it's gear box and quad pipes than this Burmester music system.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-img_4112.jpg

Last edited by Zappo : 21st April 2016 at 18:36. Reason: Added pics inline :) - Reported typo in spec corrected
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (24) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 11:46   #64
BANNED

Although this car has enough gizmos and gadgets that would tempt a college kid want to exchange his mobile phone for this car, be in no doubt that they are good to talk about or post only on a forum. Because at the speeds the car is capable off, you dare not take your eyes off the road even for a split second and the last thing you want to be doing is adjusting the Centre of Gravity or checking out G forces. Yes, this car can be terrifyingly fast.

There is this scenario when certain expensive consultants are asked "How much is your fee?" reply with a "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." This response could reasonably be extended to the maintenance cost of this car too.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 00:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

Even though it rides on 19 inch wheels
Had an opportunity to sit in a similar car [Black on Black C63S AMG] and watch it do its thing on the dirt. Only regret was not driving it on tarmac esp on those 19 inchers shod with Dunlop Sport MAXX RT. Hooning with the TC off was an experience nevertheless!

Here's a picture of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-mercfortbhp.jpg  

LOL_FWD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 21:04   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
Hooning with the TC off was an experience nevertheless!
It's got the 3 stage ESP - The Sport Handling mode helps for sand drifts / sideways fun.

It's also got an electronic limited slip differential so you can only turn off the ESP, not the entire TC.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 25th April 2016 at 21:05.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 10:43   #67
BANNED

How you drive an AMG C63 S:

VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote