Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:05   #121
BHPian
 
the VTEC guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 563
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Yesterday night this topic was debated on NDTV news channel. There was one person from Delhi transport, one was Hormzad from Autocar and other 2 pannelist whom I could not recognise. I saw this towards end of the show but was surprised to hear a comment from the Delhi transport guy. He suggested that since Delhi doesnot have infrastructure to support these super cars/super cars are not meant for Delhi roads we should look at a option of not allowing these super cars to be registered in Delhi?? he also talked about how these cars at dangerous because the speed they can reach. Hormzad debated that infact these fast cars, luxury cars travelling at 60 kph or moderate speed are infact far more safer than say a Maruti 800 getting into an accident at 60 kph or such moderate speeds.
Ultimately they all concluded that there are far more serious situations/traffic voilations that need to be curbed by strigent fines to overall reduce the accidents and fatalities
the VTEC guy is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:25   #122
BHPian
 
ShortShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Land of Nizams
Posts: 953
Thanked: 1,260 Times
Post Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Yesterday night this topic was debated on NDTV news channel. There was one person from Delhi transport, one was Hormzad from Autocar and other 2 pannelist whom I could not recognise. I saw this towards end of the show but was surprised to hear a comment from the Delhi transport guy. He suggested that since Delhi doesnot have infrastructure to support these super cars/super cars are not meant for Delhi roads we should look at a option of not allowing these super cars to be registered in Delhi?? he also talked about how these cars at dangerous because the speed they can reach. Hormzad debated that infact these fast cars, luxury cars travelling at 60 kph or moderate speed are infact far more safer than say a Maruti 800 getting into an accident at 60 kph or such moderate speeds.
Ultimately they all concluded that there are far more serious situations/traffic voilations that need to be curbed by strigent fines to overall reduce the accidents and fatalities
I saw it too ! Thank god Hormzad was part of the panel or everyone sitting there including the Host seemed to be agreeing to the Transport guy suggesting a ban on such cars !

Here is a link to the video:

Sports cars: 'Killer' toys of the rich?

Last edited by ShortShifter : 22nd February 2012 at 15:29.
ShortShifter is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:26   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

In India where people drive multi crore cars on roads which have people sleeping on them - accidents like these are bound to happen.

Why do i buy a supercar ? to drive it fast, nothing wrong in driving a supercar fast.

Did the guy who was driving make a mistake - maybe yes - maybe no. I really don't know. (he has btw paid the ultimate price - he is DEAD.)

Even if you hit someone (who is on a cycle) at 30 kmph - the guy on the cycle mostly will end up like the way he has right now.

Morality is out of question here, no one is right and no-one is wrong. It is all situational.

Another point here is - since these guys are rich, they have a perception of being 'spoilt' and hence they do become soft targets (An analogy here can be: anyone who drives/rides in mumbai will know that incase of a accident between a car and a bike - the guy in the car is always wrong, in case of an accident between a bike and a cycle, the guy on the bike will always be wrong). What i fail to understand is why such a hue and cry not being made about these dumper trucks / buses / state transport vehicles who REGULARLY kill children / sr citizen ?? There always will be a small article tucked away somewhere on the 11th page of a national daily and that is it. And now since some 'rich spoilt brat' has taken away the livelyhood of a family this is being blown out of proportion.

Media will play up stories which benefit them, and will not talk about serious but supposedly boring stories.

ac.
ac 427 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:49   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 528
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

As per The family he bought this car a month ago without informing family spending 2.2 cr, bought from PC jewellers, not even fully transferred in his name.

RIP Owner

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd February 2012 at 18:18. Reason: Fixing incomplete sentence
sam003 is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:56   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Was wondering how long before the media circus started.

While it would be good to debate road safety and what can be done to improve it, the media's obsession with different standards for different classes only goes to highlight prejudices.

If this is such a big story, may be they can run a separate full day channel for stories on the "killer toys of the masses" for the hundreds of other deaths caused in India due to road accidents which do not seem to garner half the attention or necessitate a debate for road safety.
Caramba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:42   #126
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

From what I see owner made a mistake of going too fast without wearing seat belt. He paid the penalty for his mistake. He may have money but doesnt have senses to wear the seat belt which ever car it is.
Soccerfan is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:59   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

From Page 1 .The broken wheel rim is silver in color while the other rims are black ?

Any thoughts ?

I dont want to waste time on discussing as to why did the Lambo crash or why did the owner die .As for me ,it is very clear that he was speeding and that he was ejected from the car as he wasnt wearing seat belts !
speedsatya is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:49   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,733
Thanked: 4,801 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

The car in better times, a pic by Rohan Dayal.
Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured-471265_10150575047501387_569501386_9054050_703343515_o.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
From Page 1 .The broken wheel rim is silver in color while the other rims are black?
Can't make out what you're on about. None of the rims are silver or black, its all Graphite Grey finish. I think you're eyes are playing tricks

Here is a pic from the first page itself,
Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured-img01729201202191506.jpg
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:17   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
carwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bardez, Goa
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 999 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
From what I have read, cyclist was not riding on the dedicated bike lane. Had he been on safer side of the road, he might have escaped injury, and in the process saved Drivers life...
Could you share where have you read that. On the contrary it is mentioned in various news reports that the cyclist was in dedicated bike lane and was hit after the car lost control and jumped the divider. I also couldn't find the mention of truck and its driver which was being overtaken by the Lambo at the time of the accident. Isn't it strange that despite numerous news channels, cameras, etc.even the basic facts are not available. Quite similar to Vento fire incident where its still not clear as to the car involved is petrol or diesel one.
carwatcher is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:31   #130
BHPian
 
jalex77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thodupuzha
Posts: 103
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarrera View Post
Well atleast his family can claim money for their well being from the Lambo owners family ( not taking any sides ) but if a Tata indica driver at hit him , his family would get nothing . There are a lot more Tata indica drivers who worked as labourers and just became drivers because of better salaries and do t know how to intros a car that can do 130 kms an hour which is equally dangerous ..and the sad part is that they are all over the country causing deaths almost everyday , but nothing is done about them or spoken because it's not a Lambo

My heart goes out to Kishan and his poor family , but a lot more needs to be done for road safety for all road users , just speed control is not enough . That's why in some countries people get a ticket for going slow ..as it causes people to overtake at higher speeds
You mean to say Tata Indicas run without insurance policies and that people cannot file accident claim petitions against the owner/driver?

And I have no pity whatsoever for the driver, He reaped what he sowed.

Would you feel sorry and say R.I.P for someone who gets a revolver and plays around, killing some people unknowingly while at it and in the end shooting himself to kingdom-come again by mistake?

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd February 2012 at 21:23. Reason: Removing last two lines. Watch the tone, no personal attacks permitted on Team-BHP.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:55   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
Unknownsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 1,445 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
You mean to say Tata Indicas run without insurance policies and that people cannot file accident claim petitions against the owner/driver?
For your first para: I think what mlcarrera meant is you wont get anything from an Indica driver as compensation. He may get some punishment, but what will he have to give as compensation for the victim.

Oh and between, mlcarrera has a Lambo, so i dont think he will be taking Balboni driver as his role model.
I dont own one, but i dont think i will make someone my role model just cos they own some supercars.
Must say you have some real nice sense of humor to even think like that !!



To all those so called followers of rules and regulations:
I dont see you guys posting much in "accidents in India" thread. I am sure even that happens cos of someones mistake. Why all these "gyan" just cos he was driving a Lambo? It may be his mistake, but then most of the accidents in the other thread also will be due to the same. I do not see more than 5-6 comments againt each accidents and this thread alone has gone to 9 pages or so.

For public interest: Request you all to give your gyan session in that thread as well.

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 22nd February 2012 at 19:06.
Unknownsatan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:16   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Why dont we all stop writing on this thread for now,have been through it exhaustively,all concrete info has long since dried up.
In the interests of not attacking each other just for holding contrary opinions,let's wait for some genuinely informative post before we start off again.
Peace.
911987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:46   #133
BHPian
 
nanduchitnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 494
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Why dont we all stop writing on this thread for now,have been through it exhaustively,all concrete info has long since dried up.
In the interests of not attacking each other just for holding contrary opinions,let's wait for some genuinely informative post before we start off again.
Peace.
Agree. This dead horse has been flogged enough.

Just summarize lessons learned
and BTDT !!

Mods please end this with your summaries.
nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:12   #134
BHPian
 
jalex77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thodupuzha
Posts: 103
Thanked: 21 Times
Talking Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
For your first para: I think what mlcarrera meant is you wont get anything from an Indica driver as compensation. He may get some punishment, but what will he have to give as compensation for the victim.

Oh and between, mlcarrera has a Lambo, so i dont think he will be taking Balboni driver as his role model.
I dont own one, but i dont think i will make someone my role model just cos they own some supercars.
Must say you have some real nice sense of humor to even think like that !!



To all those so called followers of rules and regulations:
I dont see you guys posting much in "accidents in India" thread. I am sure even that happens cos of someones mistake. Why all these "gyan" just cos he was driving a Lambo? It may be his mistake, but then most of the accidents in the other thread also will be due to the same. I do not see more than 5-6 comments againt each accidents and this thread alone has gone to 9 pages or so.

For public interest: Request you all to give your gyan session in that thread as well.
Firstly, I hope you've heard of Motor Accident Claims Tribunals. Thats where you normally file claim petitions when you are a victim in an R.T.A. in India. Its the insurance companies that(sadly) have to bear the damages and pay compensations. And so it doesn't matter if someone was driving an exotic or riding a moped while injuring someone else in an R.T.A.

Secondly, I was not referring to your Lambo owning friend in particular.(And pardon me, But I ride in a tin can by the way. ) It was meant for all those who got worked up when some people criticized the Lambo driver who got killed in the accident. And I know it and can tell why a bull lifts it tail.

Thirdly, I dont know about you, But I do comment strongly on R.T.As which do not involve exotics and like you many throw brickbats at me as well for that. But it feels appallling when I see people say someone's criticizing someone cause they had an exotic and talk on the lines that the ones criticizing are jealous.

And 911987 and nanduchitnis, You two are absolutely right. Everything's said and done.

Last edited by jalex77 : 22nd February 2012 at 20:14.
jalex77 is offline  
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:22   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Unknownsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 1,445 Times
Default Re: Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Firstly, I hope you've heard of Motor Accident Claims Tribunals. Thats where you normally file claim petitions when you are a victim in an R.T.A. in India. Its the insurance companies that(sadly) have to bear the damages and pay compensations. And so it doesn't matter if someone was driving an exotic or riding a moped while injuring someone else in an R.T.A.

Secondly, I was not referring to your Lambo owning friend in particular.(And pardon me, But I ride in a tin can by the way. ) It was meant for all those who got worked up when some people criticized the Lambo driver who got killed in the accident. And I know it and can tell why a bull lifts it tail.

Thirdly, I dont know about you, But I do comment strongly on R.T.As which do not involve exotics and like you many throw brickbats at me as well for that. But it feels appallling when I see people say someone's criticizing someone cause they had an exotic and talk on the lines that the ones criticizing are jealous.

And 911987 and nanduchitnis, You two are absolutely right. Everything's said and done.
Just FYI...mlcarrera is not my friend. I dont even know a thing about him other than the thing that he has got a Lambo.

Even i drive a tin can, so chill..

I dont think we are talking about real bull, i havent checked for what all a real one will lift its tail for...so lets leave it at that.

What i meant was when we dont bother to post in normal accident thread why make such a hue and cry about this accident?

Anyway i am out of this !!

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 22nd February 2012 at 21:23.
Unknownsatan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
J.D Madan injured in serious accident! adman77 Street Experiences 150 30th October 2016 18:27
The elusive MM540 / 550. EDIT: New Search for ex-Army 550 on page 9 IronWolf 4x4 Vehicles 146 13th February 2015 23:02
Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni AyAn! The International Automotive Scene 4 4th August 2009 14:57
Help-Superb's driver side RVM broken by a cyclist. akshay4587 Street Experiences 23 5th March 2009 13:06
Another bad accident on Nelson Mandela Marg - 1 dead, 5 injured suman Street Experiences 19 22nd December 2006 22:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks