Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 17:51   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Gautam Singhania setting a record in Ferrari 458 Challenger at BIC

The time set in the 458 Challenge is significantly faster than the safety cars that are used in Formula1 races. This is not the only GT car that has run, other safety cars have also run. Also the Ferrari guys have tested their cars on BIC and still Mr. Gautam Singhania was significantly faster. Hence, we proud that he set a new record!
Super Car Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 20:43   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Gautam Singhania setting a record in Ferrari 458 Challenger at BIC

It is amazing to note that this gentleman pursues his passion despite his busy schedule.

I was expecting a video of the the fastest lap, instead it is just a documentary.

Pretty good stuff. Some thing to cheer for INDIA in the motorsport.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 20:47   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Gautam Singhania setting a record in Ferrari 458 Challenger at BIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Car Club View Post
The time set in the 458 Challenge is significantly faster than the safety cars that are used in Formula1 races.
Isn't the safety car a standard SLS AMG for all intends and purposes, and not a built-for-track car like the 458 challenge? I don't think it's a fair comparison. Also, are safety cars ever driven "in anger" around the circuit?

That said, I guess Mr.Singhania will go even faster next time around.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 12:50   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,730
Thanked: 4,767 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

I firmly believe another road car from the same garage is capable of matching, if not beating this time, the Atom.

Please carry it along on the next track day
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 14:47   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 297 Times
Thumbs up Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

The F1 safety car SLS AMG is a full GT car, its driven by professionals and it is way fast, its driven at a very high speed full flat out but it looks slow as there are F1 cars behind it, this is for your information
Super Car Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 22:06   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Car Club View Post
The F1 safety car SLS AMG is a full GT car, its driven by professionals and it is way fast, its driven at a very high speed full flat out but it looks slow as there are F1 cars behind it, this is for your information
The SLS AMG which is used as safety car in F1 is essentially a street legal car, which the 458 challenge is obviously not. Here's a quote from MB site on the safety car:

Quote:
No technical changes have been made or weight-saving measures applied to the Official F1 Safety Car. The engine, power train, suspension and braking system of the Safety Car are the same as those found in the standard production SLS AMG. The only exception is the newly developed exhaust designed to provide an even more emotionally-charged sound experience, as a tribute to the Formula 1 fans both at the race track and those watching on TV.
To the best of my knowledge, the SLS AMG GT (which is the new safety car) is also street legal. Again, the difference between the street-legal car and the safety car is just the exhaust. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have difficulty in believing that the safety car is driven "full flat out" over a full lap during its deployment in the race, because that's not its function. It's surely driven much more carefully (maybe even off the racing line) in the portion of the race track where there has been an accident.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 02:08   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Oh no,you are very much mistaken if you think that the safety car is just cruising along whenever it comes out.Its a standard SLS all right,but when its are leading a safety lap,its pretty much driven on the limit.

The safety car driver has to keep the speeds up at a pace which is just enough for the F1 cars to retain some tyre temperature and brake temperature.If he goes slowly(and for F1 slowly thats 100-150Kmph) the engine heats up,engine does not get enough cool air,tyres start losing pressure and temperature.So that SLS is pretty much being driven like its trying to hit pole on qualifying.

Infact here is a quote from Bernd Maylander,the current SC driver.He has handled SC duties for a decade now for F1 and he was a DTM racer himself.

"The speed of the safety car is really fast, it is on the limit of the car," explains the 35-year-old. "You could never drive on the road like that.
"I have to drive 99% up to my limit. I can't drive over my limit - that extra 1% is to make sure I'm safe"

If you watch live timings during a race,if an F1 car was doing say 1:25s a lap,and the SC came out,the cars start slowing down.But they still do 2.00-2.30 laps and they dont take 5 mins to go around the track.To be be withinn 30 secs-45 secs of F1 car which was doing flat out laps with a standard roadcar which weighs much more and is less powerful,you have drive literally its wheels off.
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 08:19   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Oh no,you are very much mistaken if you think that the safety car is just cruising along whenever it comes out.Its a standard SLS all right,but when its are leading a safety lap,its pretty much driven on the limit.
I didn't say it's cruising, but that it's probably not driven flat out "over a full lap". Surely the safety car's only duty isn't to help F1 cars keep tire/brake temperature. Its function is also to lead the cars at a safe speed (safe also for the marshals who may be near the track) through the portion of the track affected. It may even be off the racing line in that part of the track, trying to avoid debris etc.

So to say the safety car is driven "full flat out" and compare it's lap times to a built-for-track car driven around the circuit chasing lap time is, IMHO, an apples-to-oranges comparison and misleading.

Also, the safety car has never been deployed in race situation at BIC.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 14:07   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Car Club View Post
The time set in the 458 Challenge is significantly faster than the safety cars that are used in Formula1 races. This is not the only GT car that has run, other safety cars have also run. Also the Ferrari guys have tested their cars on BIC and still Mr. Gautam Singhania was significantly faster. Hence, we proud that he set a new record!
The safety car drives at various speeds around the track depending on the condition in order to maintain safety. It is safe to say it goes flat out only on safe sections keeping in mind the 10 car length distance set by FIA for the F1 drivers.

Please do not Degrade Mr.Singhania and the 458 challange by comparing both of them with Novice drivers and stock Ferrari's. A Track day of Ferrari or any other Manufacturer cannot be compared to a Circuit car test or lap on a track. On a Side note..Mr.Singhania with his 458 would beat any of those peoples times effortlessly.

Please do enlighten me on what other Safety cars have run on the Buddh circuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
I firmly believe another road car from the same garage is capable of matching, if not beating this time, the Atom.
I beg to differ..the Atom however fast is not even half of the Challange, so matching times with the big boy would be a tall order for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Car Club View Post
The F1 safety car SLS AMG is a full GT car, its driven by professionals and it is way fast, its driven at a very high speed full flat out but it looks slow as there are F1 cars behind it, this is for your information
A stock SLS with only the exhaust changed and churning out 571 bhp is the safety car for F1. The car is driven on its limit but also does maintain this throughout the track. Which does mean its track time does vary alot and cannot be used as a benchmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The SLS AMG which is used as safety car in F1 is essentially a street legal car, which the 458 challenge is obviously not. Here's a quote from MB site on the safety car:




Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the SLS AMG GT (which is the new safety car) is also street legal. Again, the difference between the street-legal car and the safety car is just the exhaust. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
and bumped up bhp to 571.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
I also have difficulty in believing that the safety car is driven "full flat out" over a full lap during its deployment in the race, because that's not its function. It's surely driven much more carefully (maybe even off the racing line) in the portion of the race track where there has been an accident.
you are right in your belief as the safety car varies it speed as per the track condition keeping in mind the debris and marshals on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
So to say the safety car is driven "full flat out" and compare it's lap times to a built-for-track car driven around the circuit chasing lap time is, IMHO, an apples-to-oranges comparison and misleading.
. The SLS AMG GT3 would be fair competition to the 458 Challange and not the SLS AMG GT.

I do not in anyway say the Lap time is not commendable and a great achievement in any way..i only do not agree to this being called a record breaker in comparision to the competition it has been compared against and the situation of their times. Even under a hard lap by the SLS AMG GT in normal conditions it is no match for the 458 Challange.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 15:37   #115
BHPian
 
PJSPEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 171
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Hi,
Thats the super HOT BBS Wheels !!!!
Do you guys have camber set up details? Will be helpful

Rgards,
PJ
PJSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 17:12   #116
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,367
Thanked: 22,583 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I didn't say it's cruising, but that it's probably not driven flat out "over a full lap". Surely the safety car's only duty isn't to help F1 cars keep tire/brake temperature. Its function is also to lead the cars at a safe speed (safe also for the marshals who may be near the track) through the portion of the track affected. It may even be off the racing line in that part of the track, trying to avoid debris etc.
As others have said, in a lot of situations the safety car has to be driven almost flat-out just so that the F1 cars can go at a "fast enough" speed behind it. This keeps their engines cool, tyres warm, and brakes working. That in itself is some sort of "safety"

In terms of purpose on the track, and car for car though, I agree that its not a fair comparo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
I firmly believe another road car from the same garage is capable of matching, if not beating this time, the Atom.
Interesting thought; but not sure i agree in this case because of Buddh being a large track with some really long straights and high-speed corners... and its not the V8 Atom! Perhaps on one of the smaller / tighter tracks in India the Atom might have an advantage

Would be interesting to hear GS's guess on this.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2012 at 17:14.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 21:25   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 297 Times
Thumbs up Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
As others have said, in a lot of situations the safety car has to be driven almost flat-out just so that the F1 cars can go at a "fast enough" speed behind it. This keeps their engines cool, tyres warm, and brakes working. That in itself is some sort of "safety"

In terms of purpose on the track, and car for car though, I agree that its not a fair comparo.



Interesting thought; but not sure i agree in this case because of Buddh being a large track with some really long straights and high-speed corners... and its not the V8 Atom! Perhaps on one of the smaller / tighter tracks in India the Atom might have an advantage

Would be interesting to hear GS's guess on this.

cya
R

The following are the views of Mr. Singhania:-
1) The Atom is not meant for BIC as the circuit is very fast.
2) The 458 will be faster than the Atom be it at any circuit.
3) You can compare the Atom and the 458 on a circuit like Chennai and still 458 will be way faster.
4) The 458 touches speed upto 270kms/hr and driving the Atom at that speed is uncomfortable.
5) The braking and handling of 458 is way superior than Atom, hence there's no chance of Atom beating the 458 and driving it on BIC
Super Car Club is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 12:52   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,353
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Maylander in the F1 safety car does get his play time on thursdays doesnt he? Ive seen videos of Karun Chandok, Buemi and even Kubica (when he was racing in F1) having a few laps in the safety car. I dont think they are timed laps though. Im also not sure if Maylander had his fun at BIC before the race weekend started.

As per my opinion, the 458 challenge owned by Mr. GS should mince the F1 safety car. The SLS AMG is just so much heavier too.

To add a note, I would like to thank Mr. GS for enriching our countries Super car list by owning this exotic and adding to the tally. I hope we can get a glimpse of it in the upcoming show in Mumbai next month. Surely, it cant go on the run but just for it to be displayed will be quite enough.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 17:06   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
Scorcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trivandrum, KL
Posts: 4,730
Thanked: 4,767 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

I've been told that the second track run of the car is to happen tomorrow and the day after at BIC.

A fellow-Bhpian is one of the lucky two he picked to ride shotgun with him
Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 18:03   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
I've been told that the second track run of the car is to happen tomorrow and the day after at BIC.

A fellow-Bhpian is one of the lucky two he picked to ride shotgun with him
Someone pls ask him to record the in-car footage. It would be interesting to see one. A wishful thought wants to see drifting on some work out tyres too not on the track or in some available space near the pits or similar where allowed (if at all).

Last edited by dipen : 9th January 2013 at 18:04.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The all new Ferrari 458 Italia! theragingbull The International Automotive Scene 102 24th September 2014 07:57
2015 Ferrari 458 to go Turbo! Spotted Testing Scorcher The International Automotive Scene 1 23rd August 2014 22:43
First Crash - Ferrari 458 Italia ! (Already??) Scorcher The International Automotive Scene 33 25th February 2014 21:01
Mclaren MP4-12C OR Ferrari 458 Italia Stratos The International Automotive Scene 43 10th May 2011 12:57
Cargo Truck nuisance @ Mumbai Int'l Airport Cargo Complex yogeshnagpal Street Experiences 0 29th May 2010 14:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks