Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 26th March 2013, 11:12   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Car Imports Scam - Perhaps the biggest yet

Why this forgiving nature.
The rich in India are getting richer and the poor in India are getting comfortable only people like us are suffering because of the poor persons incapability and the rich persons exploiting power.
I say lock these buggers up who seek shortcut to gains.
Anyone involved in a crime has to be locked up or fined heftily and the money used to undo the crime.
Just because someone brings an illegal drug against the Indian law and if the so called drug is an amusement to some people does not mean the importer or the user should be freed saying you are doing service to the community by amusing people.
Seize the car. Auction them and use the money for Chennai road development. Lock the offenders and fine them up.
Visaster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 11:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I am sorry but I completely disagree with most of your views.
Firstly, a person, more often than not, will evade taxes just because he doesn't want to cough up the extra money. Not because he can't afford it. As it is, these are luxury items, and not items of importance by any stretch of the imagination. If one cannot afford the taxes, then one shouldn't buy the car!

Secondly, how is collecting of import duty on luxury cars a wrong thing to do. Every country has it. USA, UK, Singapore, you name it. If you are referring to how high the taxes are then I have to point out India fairs much better in this respect compared to its south-eastern couterparts. If I remeber correctly, Singapore has a gross rate of 400% import duty on cars! Ours is a nation where the manufacturing sector still needs to be protected. So import duty on cars has to be a part of the tax regime. And to ask the govt to drop this issue just so that we can see a few beautiful cars on the road is, IMO, ridiculous.

Sorry if I have hurt your sentiments but the above is my honest opinion. One may not like a certain law prevailing in the country. But that cannot be an excuse for avoiding it!

You literally took the words out of my mouth mate.
MaddyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 11:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This whole thing is shocking. We may agree or disagree with the taxation level, but once the tax is there we should work Legit and pay the taxes. Remember any smuugling or whatever gives support to the entire universe of underworld and under the table activities, who also are often involved in other crime. Remember many of the big dons in Bombay (as it was then called) made their killings in Gold smuggling.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 12:12   #19
BHPian

When these people needed to have these cars serviced didn't the dealerships object to touching them ? Don't the concerned dealers have some policy about touching these illegal cars ?

If they did service them wouldn't they be partaking in a crime ?
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 13:27   #20
BHPian

While I dont condone anything illegal, it is sad that the taxes in our country are so high that most people cannot enjoy these beautiful vehicles. However, that in no way justifies committing duty evasion and fraud.

On a similar note I would like to inform our fellow members of another scam that has still gone unnoticed in these high end cars, done mostly by kids of politicians, bureaucrats and other highly influential people.

They buy the car officially from the dealer but do not register it thereby saving all the taxes, registration charges etc which are quite substantial for imports. They slap on VIP registration plates of any of their other cars and use them without any worries, since they are connected enough to get out of trouble if anyone ever dares to stop them. After a couple of years when they are bored with the car, it is sold of as unregistered and the new purchaser then registers the car at a lower price. I came across this when I was offered several such high end cars which were used but still unregistered. A friend of mine who works at one of these dealerships then let me in on the secret.

I suppose its only a matter of time before this too gets exposed.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 13:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
When these people needed to have these cars serviced didn't the dealerships object to touching them ? Don't the concerned dealers have some policy about touching these illegal cars ?
Do you really think these rich owners would be dependent on dealerships for service. They will probably have a close friend who runs a high tech service center.

Moreover, IMO the dealerships do not have to verify the legality of the vehicle that comes for service. When I take my car for service, would they check if I am the legal owner or stolen the car. All they do is service the vehicle and collect the money. Each service center works with tight goals for increasing revenue. If they don't service, they will miss out on the vehicle and it may go to another service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
If they did service them wouldn't they be partaking in a crime ?
Though you are right, morally, but in real world, anyone who buys some product without bill, is then part of black money crime, however small the amount may be.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 01:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I do welcome the move. But then why start with these imported cars or just a city?? Start with our own politicians and ministers and clean from the very top!! Then make fool proof systems to avoid it! And also make sure the money collected is properly used where it needs to be.

Some of us feel bad because we know there are a lot of people who evade taxes and still don't get caught! It's ONLY fair to think why me when other are not!

But then letting these beauties rot would be a bad thing to happen or even see! They should collect the right taxes, charge some fine and let the owners keep / use these.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 18:03   #23
BHPian

Guys, this official statement from the investigation agency is in the press :

The agency has asked the present owners of the cars to keep these with them. An undertaking was taken from the users/owners that they would produce the vehicles in courts or before the investigation agency when required. Even if they sell the car to someone, the criminal liability will remain. The actual quantum of revenue loss to the exchequer in the form of Customs Duty and Road Tax is being worked out.

So, no cars were physically seized and taken to the agency's yard just yet.

In my opinion, these would be attached as evidences of the scam while the chargesheet is framed against the kingpin who is on the run. The owners could end up paying the revised duty/taxes along with some penalty and retain the vehicles.
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 18:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is surprising, when imported motorcycles which were seized due to non payment of duty they were seized. Why is it that these cars are to be kept with owners themselves?

I Suppose this is nothing but Jungle Raj. Fair enough they started with Chennai so when are the other major cities being targeted? No wonder DRI have gone slow on the motorcycle segment as it appears that they have found Big Fish

Last edited by ku69rd : 28th March 2013 at 18:27.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 10:17   #25
BHPian

As per the morning news daily - Udhayanidhi Stalin has surrendered his illegally imported Hummer Sports Utility Vehicle at the office of Central Bureau of Investigation here. On friday, Udhayanidhi came to CBI office in Chennai and surrendered the possession of the car.
Source: The New Indian Express - Page 3
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
While I dont condone anything illegal, it is sad that the taxes in our country are so high that most people cannot enjoy these beautiful vehicles. However, that in no way justifies committing duty evasion and fraud.

On a similar note I would like to inform our fellow members of another scam that has still gone unnoticed in these high end cars, done mostly by kids of politicians, bureaucrats and other highly influential people.

They buy the car officially from the dealer but do not register it thereby saving all the taxes, registration charges etc which are quite substantial for imports. They slap on VIP registration plates of any of their other cars and use them without any worries, since they are connected enough to get out of trouble if anyone ever dares to stop them. After a couple of years when they are bored with the car, it is sold of as unregistered and the new purchaser then registers the car at a lower price. I came across this when I was offered several such high end cars which were used but still unregistered. A friend of mine who works at one of these dealerships then let me in on the secret.

I suppose its only a matter of time before this too gets exposed.
This is absolutely ridiculous indeed. This blighted country really is a Banana Republic with idiot people forget Mango people.
I do know that most of the next-gen of the political filth that run India, drive about in the fanciest of automobiles and do all sorts of wicked things and get away scot free.
But what you have written about above is low down behaviour. More fools the people who buy these 'used' vehicles. Why would one want to buy something that has been abused by a scum kid owner?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 16:44   #27
BHPian

At 12:00hrs today CBI returned the car to Udayanidhi Stalin asking him to present the car whenever needed for investigation.
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote