Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 15th May 2013, 15:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Issues Faced By Supercar / Ultra Luxury Car Owners in India (NYT Article)

Boy, those ultra rich types lead tough lives. Now aren't you all glad you can't afford a Lamborghini yet?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/au...-in-india.html

Name:  IndiaLux1articleLarge.jpg
Views: 15822
Size:  86.3 KB

Quote:
On a recent Sunday drive along the sea-hugging Marine Drive, one of the city’s wider roads, Mr. Jain detailed the woes that afflict supercar owners in a tropical city known for traffic jams, erratic driving and crumbling infrastructure. “The most challenging thing is the roads, because they are bumpy as hell,” said Mr. Jain, a slight 26-year-old who wore designer jeans, Aviator sunglasses and a polo-style shirt with upturned collar.

Mr. Jain has deflated his tires by six pounds to compensate, but every lump in the road still announced itself with a thud of the tightly coiled suspension. The low-profile tires are also prone to puncture on pitted roads, and in April, one of the hottest months, the car is undrivable for long stretches lest it overheat, said Mr. Jain, who says he owns a construction company.
Luxury/Supercars in India (NYT Photos):
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...ef=automobiles

And this should explain why Lamborghini is very excited about their upcoming SUV's prospects in India & China -

Name:  lambo_driver.JPG
Views: 16458
Size:  34.0 KB

Last edited by smartcat : 15th May 2013 at 15:20.
smartcat is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Issues Faced By Supercar / Ultra Luxury Car Owners in India (NYT Article)

- I cant just stop laughing at this article.

The person should think before buying a supercar in India.

Agreed: In India infrastructure is bad, which dont allow one to race supercars on streets. Infrastructure is very good in foreign countries, but enforcement enusures one does not speed over the speed limit, whether he is drives a Lorry, Logan or Lamborghini. There are news articles where kith & Kin of ministers and other politically connected members are taken to task for breaking the rules.

The article mentions that Mr Jain speeds on Marine Drive. The speed limit on Marine drive is just 50kmph whether its a Lamborghini or LML. The statement stating people cross marine drive is not so appealing.

If one buys a super car in india, one must experience the thrill at the same place where foreign buyers experience the thrill viz at private runways / Airports during non air traffic hours.

- Even if i could afford an Aston Martin, I would drive it at the speed limits and would go over to airport runways (with permission) to belt the car.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 15th May 2013 at 19:01.
scopriobharath is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Issues Faced By Supercar / Ultra Luxury Car Owners in India (NYT Article)

Not too bad, an interesting take at a very rare and tiny end of the car market.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:27   #4
BHPian

Default This is a related article

This is a related article-

http://www.firstpost.com/living/the-...th-781721.html

The Lamborghini class: Why the filthy rich live in filth

Last edited by aerohit : 15th May 2013 at 20:28.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:54   #5
BHPian

When you look at Porsche's sales, if I remember correctly there is 15 -20 SUVs sold vs 1 or 2 of the cars.
twinblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 22:39   #6
PPS
Senior - BHPian

In the article, why is Marine Drive referred to as one of the city's wider roads! The road is quite uneven & bumpy. Late at night or early morning is the best time for such exotic cars to stretch themselves.

I found the below bit very interesting & also flattening the speed breakers around his residence!

Quote:
Mr. Thakur, 33, is paralyzed from the waist down from a motorcycle accident and drives with a device that lets him use his right hand to manipulate the accelerator and apply the brakes, a skill he demonstrated by driving his second car, a 2012 BMW M5, aggressively through rush-hour traffic in search of one of Mumbai’s few gas stations with high-octane fuel. (Mr. Thakur’s M5 has an automated transmission, allowing him to steer with his left hand. The shift paddles in his Aventador require a bit more dexterity, he said.)
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 00:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
- I cant just stop laughing at this article.

The person should think before buying a supercar in India.

Agreed: In India infrastructure is bad, which dont allow one to race supercars on streets. Infrastructure is very good in foreign countries, but enforcement enusures one does not speed over the speed limit, whether he is drives a Lorry, Logan or Lamborghini. There are news articles where kith & Kin of ministers and other politically connected members are taken to task for breaking the rules.

The article mentions that Mr Jain speeds on Marine Drive. The speed limit on Marine drive is just 50kmph whether its a Lamborghini or LML. The statement stating people cross marine drive is not so appealing.

If one buys a super car in india, one must experience the thrill at the same place where foreign buyers experience the thrill viz at private runways / Airports during non air traffic hours.

- Even if i could afford an Aston Martin, I would drive it at the speed limits and would go over to airport runways (with permission) to belt the car.
With all due respect sir, in the case of marine drive speed limit being 50 kmph, I am sure 99.99999% of people driving on that stretch murder that limit often in fair amount of traffic, in their Altos and Honda Citys, forget a Lamborghini, so why corner supercar owners.

Taking your super car to an airstrip is next to impossible in India, that concept doesn't exist here and track days are few! So driving a Supercar marginally above speed limits, of course with in safe limits, is reasonable after all almost everybody who drives a normal car does it more than just often! IMHO
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 00:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
With all due respect sir, in the case of marine drive speed limit being 50 kmph, I am sure 99.99999% of people driving on that stretch murder that limit often in fair amount of traffic, in their Altos and Honda Citys, forget a Lamborghini, so why corner supercar owners.

Taking your super car to an airstrip is next to impossible in India, that concept doesn't exist here and track days are few! So driving a Supercar marginally above speed limits, of course with in safe limits, is reasonable after all almost everybody who drives a normal car does it more than just often! IMHO
Yes Sir- but as the article says ding 100mph between signals on Marine Drive is inviting trouble. 100 mph (160 kmph) is not safe even on highways.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 07:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

What is the purpose of that article ? What is the author trying to convey ?

I can find the author taking digs at India's lack of infrastructure and corrupt police machinery.

• Even if you have the infrastructure, law enforcement doesnt allow driving at 100mph even on US highways. The speed limit is 75mph or 80mph.Delhites have BIC,I am not sure what mumbaikars have, how about all of them pooling some money to build a race track for their needs !
  • 26 Yr old driving a Lambo isn't the average Indian or even the rich Indian. It is ultra rich section, which a minuscule section of the Indian population.
  • These so called ultra rich Indians buy such super cars for driving once in a while and not a daily drives, so 1600 miles on the odo is on accepted lines.

Last edited by F150 : 16th May 2013 at 07:45.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 08:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Article on Royal Pains!

I think it is upto the owner to open his eye and take a look at the fact , how impractical supercars are in India in most of the places. rather than buying one and then cribbing about infrastructure.Of course that is the reason for the growth in SUV segment(across segments).
BTW, even Lambo knows such problems and comes with a button to raise the ride height to clear Speed bumps etc.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 18:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
  • Even if you have the infrastructure, law enforcement doesnt allow driving at 100mph even on US highways. The speed limit is 75mph or 80mph.Delhites have BIC,I am not sure what mumbaikars have, how about all of them pooling some money to build a race track for their needs !
Mumbai does not have a racetrack as yet. The person who thinks to buy a supercar should think of the usage, infrastructure and also the risk of getting scratched by a 2 wheeler in the city. There is no point buying one and cribbing. This is like buying a 36 cm trouser for a 32 cm waist and cribbing it does not fit. There are trial rooms, make use of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
I inferred that one with contacts can get some time on Runways and other similar lines. I am not taking about the main runway, but the smaller runways / taxiways for planes like Cessna. Affording a super car would be only for the cream of the society and would be a buisness house most probably. They would have sufficient money and contacts to get some time on a not so much used runway.

Marginal speed limit is fine, but the author says that he does 100mph between signals and screetches to a halt at the signal.
scopriobharath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 19:00   #12
BHPian

going by the discussions here - we petrolheads are saying that one shouldn't buy anything having power over and above what we can utilize!! one shouldn't consider anything other than buying a nano or an alto considering the road conditions and the traffic - right??
GREAT GOING!!!

there are chances that he might have said that he touches 100kmph on the road - 100mph is what the journalist might have understood (USwise else otherwise)

as far as taking the machines out to runways is concerned - let's be practical here - can you actually do it everytime you want to drive your car?!?!
it's not a necessity that you take the car out only to floor the throttle - more often than not it's just so that you can enjoy the attention that you can get. let's face it - world over no matter how good or bad the infrastructure is - these cars are bought by the uber rich not because they can utilise the power - but simply because of the bling value and to tell the world that they are buying these impractical ridiculously expensive cars only because they can!!

no disrespect scopriobharath : but let's face it - none of us have enough will power not to flirt with any car's power (ofcourse when it seems safe) - so your claim of sticking to the speed limit in an aston martin is simply far fetched!! if you know you will not be caught and put behind bars, and you know it's safe to be naughty with the car - you will!!
heck anyone would!!

and if not - then why are we here on this forum and posing as petrolheads?!?
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 20:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
no disrespect scopriobharath : but let's face it - none of us have enough will power not to flirt with any car's power (ofcourse when it seems safe) - so your claim of sticking to the speed limit in an aston martin is simply far fetched!! if you know you will not be caught and put behind bars, and you know it's safe to be naughty with the car - you will!!
heck anyone would!!

and if not - then why are we here on this forum and posing as petrolheads?!?
Dear SamayakModi, I will belt the car on a private stretch like a taxiway / runway. I would not risk overspeeding and crashin / killing someone and face the music. The very thought of police hassles and the fear of going to jail will make me automatically drive within speed limits. I live in Malad and even If i had an Aston Martin, I would not drive it work. I would prefer another car for my day to day commute.

I would definetly like to belt a supercar anyday but not on streets. If i have the money to buy a Lamborghini, I might as well have the money to ship it to BIC for a spin. I am a simple common middle class man today and even if i become filthy rich tomorrow, I would not drive a LAmborghini on Marine drive at 160kmph at any hour. On the other hand, I might use my money power and influence and get an hour on a runway in airport to belt it. OR i would spend 2 crore on a Range Rover Sport. `

No offenses meant - just how i would handle the scenario, if i were filthy rich.
scopriobharath is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 20:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Top most of all one needs patinece and the PASSION to use these cars regularly including putting up with the stuff that comes with such onwership terrain. Most like this 26 year old seem to want to just have it around to show their wealth primarily, have fast car to throw around once in a while good to have which is unfortunate because it is a sheer waste. If I ever bought one of these I would use it fairly regularly and put the effort and patience of driving it on our roads, afterall if you are a real autonut you will use the car MORE than 1600 km or whatever stated in the artical.

I will give you my own example. In our family we own a 2012 E class, Ertiga, polo, and until recently I drove a showroom condition (not saying so because its mine) classic mercedes w123 EVERY day in MUMBAI traffic as my daily driver. Some would shudder others simply don't want to put the effort. I drove it 19000 km from 2011 to last month nonstop always put extra effort to find the right parking..etc. never had a single scratch on it. Before someone here starts making some counter comments let me assure you my car was concor and not something to be used as a daily driver, perhaps may not compare to lambo etc. I can tell you this with experience I am confident of using my next car which will be a 2 door sports car (no not of the lambo level, still not lost it) as a daily driver until then I JUST took dlivery of a new yello NANO (smayakModi hope you are reading this) as my daily driver. Our 2012 E, ertiga and polo are chauffeured for the use of women folk in the house and my dad. FYI NANO is a hoot to throw around on Mumbai streets, it's like go kart and I get around faster as I can slip through a lot of gaps fast. I think one needs to be fairly mature, reasonable, REALISTIC when you get into an auto endeavour and committed or else in my book one is purely doing it to "be in with the jones" if you get my drift, fairly upstart if you ask me. Another thing I noticed a lot of folks are pretty desperate out here in india, some folks behave like they have never seen life before, and ther are several million other who can buy 4 lambos but find the whole idea of owning one in india COMPLETELY useless. Rather go to Germany every year and drive one on the autobahn and really enjoy it, try it you will understand, until then I am afraid link sisinctly put by aero will need to be understood and accepted on face value

Quote:
Dear SamayakModi, I will belt the car on a private stretch like a taxiway / runway. I would not risk overspeeding and crashin / killing someone and face the music. The very thought of police hassles and the fear of going to jail will make me automatically drive within speed limits. I live in Malad and even If i had an Aston Martin, I would not drive it work. I would prefer another car for my day to day commute.

I would definetly like to belt a supercar anyday but not on streets. If i have the money to buy a Lamborghini, I might as well have the money to ship it to BIC for a spin. I am a simple common middle class man today and even if i become filthy rich tomorrow, I would not drive a LAmborghini on Marine drive at 160kmph at any hour. On the other hand, I might use my money power and influence and get an hour on a runway in airport to belt it. OR i would spend 2 crore on a Range Rover Sport. `

No offenses meant - just how i would handle the scenario, if i were filthy rich.
Most filthy rich are fairly obnoxious and up starts as I have noticed here in india commonly referred to as "neuvo riche" who became ultra rich post 1994 liberalisation. I would hate being or reaching such a bracket, rather be wealthy as wealth whispers and new money shouts, tends to be boorish as well

Last edited by Eddy : 16th May 2013 at 23:42. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
canonball is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 12:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Dear SamayakModi, I will belt the car on a private stretch like a taxiway / runway. I would not risk overspeeding and crashin / killing someone and face the music. The very thought of police hassles and the fear of going to jail will make me automatically drive within speed limits.
Brother I said IF you knew you wouldn't be caught and its safe - you would get naughty with the car

@canonball : glad you having a ball with the nano buddy. When I said nano or an alto I didn't mean it price wise I meant it power wise and purely because of how practical they are in te city
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote