Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 15:14   #16
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

though i am no expert with this but i feel the rims are gorgeous but don't do justice to this car. i don't know what's not appealing with it - maybe the red cap in the centre or maybe sporty design VS the elegance of the merc. looks like someone wearing a zegna suit with sneakers to me. something is amiss.

@GTO - since you do have an expertise on cars of this era too - aren't the headlamp wiper's orientation wrong here?
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 15:29   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 38
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Note : All credit goes to my younger brother, Zorro for the car!

Thank you FINTAIL, akshay4587, VineetSoni, aniguchisan, Fullrevs, karan561, vikramvicky1984, coloneljasi, tazmaan, jeeva, justin.das, petroguzzler.

@akshay4587, karan561, justin.das, coloneljasi: More details and pics coming up soon !

@VineetSoni, Fullrevs : As I mentioned, the car was acquired by my younger brother who is 22 and he personally loves the look as they suit his profile. He has the original rims that came with the car but has put the refurbishment for the rims on the afterburner, his primary focus is to get the interior to match the exterior levels of detail and get it mechanically up to a 100%.
I see a lot of people have mixed emotions on the rims and that was expected as they are not the ideal match for a car like this.

Lol @vikramvicky1984 : Amusing comparison here! I guess since my brother has just gotten his hands on it, he will keep on experimenting, I think Zorro wants his W126 to look more like Katrina Kaif hence the BBS’s

@FINTAIL : Thank you sir for such a detailed analogy ! I personally like the rims aswell, as I have seen the car in person and it looks amazing!

Ill try to answer your queries to the best of my knowledge:
1)Thanks
2)Yes, and detailed by A-Z car detailing in Chandigarh using Meguiars stuff to do the whole car and one full day.
3)Indeed, the last ones of the production runs. Made in Germany car.
4)Nankangs

@ justin.das : The ride quality has gone down but not to the point of something that would mess around with that "sublime" feeling and the harshness of stepping up to 19s is not that pronounced.

@GTO : Thank you very much, the interiors are not that bad actually, they do however need a complete detailing and some minor trim parts. Yes this is indeed a kind of car that would be an heirloom in the family.

Last edited by mkaysaw : 30th October 2013 at 15:52. Reason: name mistake
mkaysaw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 18:23   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 596
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

That is one helluva of a car. Immaculately maintained.
IMO, the present rims spoil the overall "Merc" stance as voiced by others. Wishing you happy miles with the car.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 20:46   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,057
Thanked: 6,191 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Great story and congratulations on the car. Absolute stunner!

However, no offense, I don't like the rims at all. They make this absolutely beautiful car look cheap. Just my opinion. This is not a car that needs flashy wheels.

This car is all about understated performance. In how it handles, how it was put together, the materials used, attention to detail and how the total package looks. For me these flashy wheels just dont mesh with the Mercedes brand and in particular what this car stands for.

These are great cars though, many would argue better than the W123 (I own one of those). They are certainly more luxurious and powerful.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 20:57   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Great story and congratulations on the car. Absolute stunner!

However, no offense, I don't like the rims at all. They make this absolutely beautiful car look cheap. Just my opinion. This is not a car that needs flashy wheels.

This car is all about understated performance. In how it handles, how it was put together, the materials used, attention to detail and how the total package looks. For me these flashy wheels just dont mesh with the Mercedes brand and in particular what this car stands for.

These are great cars though, many would argue better than the W123 (I own one of those). They are certainly more luxurious and powerful.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Jeroen

It has to be noted that the W123 Series is comparatively more reliable than the W126. However, I prefer the W123 over the W126, simply because, well, they were more bulletproof, mechanically. Specially, those who know more about the OM616 and OM617 Diesel Engines will know what I am talking about.

The OM617, I believe was offered on the W126 too, as the cheapest Diesel engine.

And lastly, regarding the rims, well, looks are subjective. They depend upon indivisual taste. However, as stated before, I would have liked it, had the original rims been maintained, atleast for the rainy season.

P.S: For the uninitiated, the W123 was the E-Class and the W126 , the S-Class.

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 21:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,057
Thanked: 6,191 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
It has to be noted that the W123 Series is comparatively more reliable than the W126. However, I prefer the W123 over the W126, simply because, well, they were more bulletproof, mechanically. Specially, those who know more about the OM616 and OM617 Diesel Engines will know what I am talking about.
I won't go into the minefield of which one is the most reliable. Fact is that the W123 was the last model that was completely designed and engineered in house by Mercedes. Right down to the last little detail the last bolt and nut. Some contribute that as to why the W123 is regarded as being the most reliable Mercedes ever.

I certainly hope that is not true. Since then not a single car manufacturer has done all of it's design and engineering in house. The idea being that certain things are left best to specialist. I for one do believe that reliability of cars has gone up year over year, there are exceptions, but the general trend is definitely up.

Having said all of that, the one thing which is very apparent is that the W123 was put together by engineers. They did not only think through how to put the car together, but also how to take it apart, in order to do repairs and maintenance. It's the only car I've ever owned where it is a breeze to take the door cards of, without breaking all sort of peculiar little clips. Everything comes of and goes back on, exactly where it belongs.

The W123 sports an elaborate pneumatic system for the central door locks, the head lights adjustment and on automatics the autobox gear change. It's components were designed by Mercedes in-house. They look at aviation pneumatic components, and decided they should and could do better than the pneumatic parts on a (commercial) airliner. Works really well, until it doesn't. The number of components I had to replace is massive. My son just bought a W123 as well. During the summer when I was back home in the Netherlands we spent a very enjoyable afternoon taking all the doorcards off and replacing all the rubber membranes on all door lock actuators, the boot lid and the fuel lid.

Not sure if the W126 still sports this pneumatic system or Mercedes upgraded to electrics/electronics by then.

Anyway they're both lovely cars, with a huge pedigree.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 21:25   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I won't go into the minefield of which one is the most reliable. Fact is that the W123 was the last model that was completely designed and engineered in house by Mercedes. Right down to the last little detail the last bolt and nut. Some contribute that as to why the W123 is regarded as being the most reliable Mercedes ever.

I certainly hope that is not true. Since then not a single car manufacturer has done all of it's design and engineering in house. The idea being that certain things are left best to specialist. I for one do believe that reliability of cars has gone up year over year, there are exceptions, but the general trend is definitely up.

Having said all of that, the one thing which is very apparent is that the W123 was put together by engineers. They did not only think through how to put the car together, but also how to take it apart, in order to do repairs and maintenance. It's the only car I've ever owned where it is a breeze to take the door cards of, without breaking all sort of peculiar little clips. Everything comes of and goes back on, exactly where it belongs.

The W123 sports an elaborate pneumatic system for the central door locks, the head lights adjustment and on automatics the autobox gear change. It's components were designed by Mercedes in-house. They look at aviation pneumatic components, and decided they should and could do better than the pneumatic parts on a (commercial) airliner. Works really well, until it doesn't. The number of components I had to replace is massive. My son just bought a W123 as well. During the summer when I was back home in the Netherlands we spent a very enjoyable afternoon taking all the doorcards off and replacing all the rubber membranes on all door lock actuators, the boot lid and the fuel lid.

Not sure if the W126 still sports this pneumatic system or Mercedes upgraded to electrics/electronics by then.

Anyway they're both lovely cars, with a huge pedigree.

Jeroen

All that is indeed true. However, it has to be noted that ever since the number of electronic components (i.e ECU's, etc) has gone up, the reliablity level has gone up. Indeed yes!

BUT
,

Cars are becoming more complicated by the day. (For the worse,in my opinion!) It has to be noted, that, back in the day, if I had do do any jig on my car, I could do it at home, without becoming worried to a huge extent, like many are, nowadays.

However, in the present scenario, nearly every thing is electronic. If ones car is stalling, or almost anything is happening, it is almost always an electronic fault.

That, in my opinion is not desireable. For simple reasons like this, the 'After Sales Service' has to be called up.

Cars in the past were not necessarily easier to maintain, but definitely, easier to repair. Nowadays, one requires OBD Scanners etc, for simple one minute jobs.

I think we are going a little here!

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th October 2013 at 21:26.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 21:37   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

What a beauty, for a moment after looking at the first pic I wondered if it was in India or not.

Those BBS rims are hot, and contrary to most I like them. Gives the car a sporty look while being classy at the same time. And as long as it doesn't affect your ride too much its brilliant.

And WOW, the exteriors look stunning.

Saw a 560SEL recently which was being repainted in its original shade. There was something majestic about these Mercs, the way they used to glide on the street, something I think has been missing since the W124s.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 21:54   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,057
Thanked: 6,191 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
All that is indeed true. However, it has to be noted that ever since the number of electronic components (i.e ECU's, etc) has gone up, the reliablity level has gone up. Indeed yes!

BUT
,

Cars are becoming more complicated by the day. (For the worse,in my opinion!) It has to be noted, that, back in the day, if I had do do any jig on my car, I could do it at home, without becoming worried to a huge extent, like many are, nowadays.

However, in the present scenario, nearly every thing is electronic. If ones car is stalling, or almost anything is happening, it is almost always an electronic fault.

That, in my opinion is not desireable. For simple reasons like this, the 'After Sales Service' has to be called up.

Cars in the past were not necessarily easier to maintain, but definitely, easier to repair. Nowadays, one requires OBD Scanners etc, for simple one minute jobs.

I think we are going a little here!

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!
I don't necessarily agree with you. You need a different skill set and different tools. Many mechanically schooled individuals are notoriously bad at abstract thinking and digital trouble shooting. It's not rocket science, you don't need a Msc of Bsc, just interest and affinity with electronics and cars. There is nothing I can't fix or trouble shoot on any modern car, but you need to go with the times!! It's just different

Reading through and understanding an electronic logic diagram and using an advanced OBD analyzer, a scope, signal generator and digital multi meter doesn't come natural to many more classic car mechanics.

Whenever I have a problem with any of my classic car it means immediately breaking out my (very elaborate) tool kit, rolling up my sleeves, digging in and getting dirty.

When my Jaguar has a problem I break out my laptop, start up the OBD analyzer, use an online service to track the DTC codes. I can do all of that without opening the bonnet, getting dirty or even before I even think about a screwdriver or a wrench. With the appropriate trouble shoot approach I can hone in on the exact problem. Still, I'll need to get my tools out and get dirty in most cases.

One is not better or worse perse. But they are very different in what knowledge, skills and tools you need to have at your disposal. My experience, being a very active member in various classic car clubs is that there are truly outstanding mechanical and electrical engineers out there, but very few electronic and digitally adapt engineers.

Many classic car enthusiast I know have collected tools over the years worth thousands of dollars (I certainly have), but baulk at the thought of spending $300 on OBD software.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 10:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 7,367 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

What a brilliant looking car! I love the BBS alloys too. I think it compliments the shape of W126 pretty well. Thanks for sharing with us. But I think the registration plate needs a change, ASAP.

Please flood the thread with more pics. Both interior, exterior and engine bay as well. Have fun!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 11:49   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Ever since I was a child, a car to me meant the Mercedes & I have grown up looking at the W123s & W126s. They have been a dream & I wish that your cousin cherishes each moment with this beauty.

Congrats!
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 16:28   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
manikjeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Was offer the same car for 70k few months back.

Please have the head checked it's low on compression on 7and 5.

Also the paper work is no good. So kept away.
manikjeet is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 10:28   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney/Cochin
Posts: 289
Thanked: 154 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I don't necessarily agree with you. You need a different skill set and different tools. Many mechanically schooled individuals are notoriously bad at abstract thinking and digital trouble shooting. It's not rocket science, you don't need a Msc of Bsc, just interest and affinity with electronics and cars. There is nothing I can't fix or trouble shoot on any modern car, but you need to go with the times!! It's just different

Reading through and understanding an electronic logic diagram and using an advanced OBD analyzer, a scope, signal generator and digital multi meter doesn't come natural to many more classic car mechanics.

Whenever I have a problem with any of my classic car it means immediately breaking out my (very elaborate) tool kit, rolling up my sleeves, digging in and getting dirty.

When my Jaguar has a problem I break out my laptop, start up the OBD analyzer, use an online service to track the DTC codes. I can do all of that without opening the bonnet, getting dirty or even before I even think about a screwdriver or a wrench. With the appropriate trouble shoot approach I can hone in on the exact problem. Still, I'll need to get my tools out and get dirty in most cases.

One is not better or worse perse. But they are very different in what knowledge, skills and tools you need to have at your disposal. My experience, being a very active member in various classic car clubs is that there are truly outstanding mechanical and electrical engineers out there, but very few electronic and digitally adapt engineers.

Many classic car enthusiast I know have collected tools over the years worth thousands of dollars (I certainly have), but baulk at the thought of spending $300 on OBD software.

Jeroen
That indeed was an eye-opener, Jeroen. I had been very skeptical about many of the new tech, and everything being controlled by electronics - mostly because it was out of my hands for repairs. Even the smallest of trouble meant replacement. So my thoughts were around Mercs till the 124s being the all-time bests.

Looks like it's time to study some new tech and tools! Thanks for sharing. I sincerely hadn't considered debugging a Jag!!

Last edited by Joe M : 6th November 2013 at 10:29. Reason: Removed a partial sentence
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 11:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,057
Thanked: 6,191 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
That indeed was an eye-opener, Jeroen. I had been very skeptical about many of the new tech, and everything being controlled by electronics - mostly because it was out of my hands for repairs. Even the smallest of trouble meant replacement. So my thoughts were around Mercs till the 124s being the all-time bests.

Looks like it's time to study some new tech and tools! Thanks for sharing. I sincerely hadn't considered debugging a Jag!!
On the replacement; yes, you will find that these days a lot of parts get replaced rather then repaired. That goes for non-electronic parts as well. For instance, on some cars you will not get your dealer to replace the bushings in the suspension. They will replace complete arms etc.

They do that partly because it's easier, partly because they might not have the tools etc. Not sure in India, but in Europe and the USA there is a very large parts aftermarket. You will be able to get all the same parts as your dealer, but you will also to be able to get more specific parts.

For instance, when the electromagnetic AC clutch on my Jeep Cherokee broke down the Jeep dealer would just replace the whole unit. I took it apart myself and only had to replace an individual bearing.

When you develop a (electrical) problem on your throttlebody most dealers will replace the complete throttlebody, whereas in many cases it is just a case of replacing an individual potentiometer. MIght not be easy to find that potentiometer. But on my Jaguar a throttle body cost well over $2500,--! So it's worth shopping around.

On my 1982 Mercedes W123, if the pneumatic cilinders fail, that operate the door locks and official Mercedes dealer will replace the complete cilinder at a cost of Euro 75 plus labour. Truth is that in 99 out of 100 its just a rubber seal that perishes over time. You can buy these seals directly from Bosch. You get a bag of 10 for about Euro 5! It's a bit fiddley, but works very well. But it takes time and labour in Western countries is relatively speaking expensive. Hence, just replacing the whole unit makes more sense for the dealer.

I never throw away any parts that I replace on my cars (other then maybe filters, gaskets etc). So I have an impressive parts-bin in our garage, much to the despair of my poor wife. But often I can still use bits and pieces, rather than to have to replace a larger part.

For instance the electric window winder on the older Ford Fiesta, comes as one complete assembly. I once replaced one complete unit and have used various bits and pieces of the broken assembly to fix other problems on subsequent Fiesta's we've owned.

Anyway, I just love fiddling with stuff, mechanical, electrical, electronics, whatever.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 22:40   #30
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 326
Thanked: 374 Times
Default Re: A W126 joins the family: '91 Mercedes 420 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaysaw View Post
I think Zorro wants his W126 to look more like Katrina Kaif hence the BBS’s


Congrats mkaysaw. Picked up a W124 a few months back and the two times I took her to the service center, I stood their mesmerized by the W126s and W140s parked there without any sense of how fast time flies.

Do you mind letting us know how much Zorro had to shell out for the BBS wheels? And would you mind sharing a few pics of the interiors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post


P.S: For the uninitiated, the W123 was the E-Class and the W126 , the S-Class.

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!
IIRC, they started calling the E-class, the E-class only from W124.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mercedes W126 500 SEL restoration konjaril Post-War 51 24th November 2016 22:35
Mercedes W126 300SD 1983 eyedoc Super-Cars & Imports in India 43 20th June 2010 22:24
Mercedes W126 (1983 280s LHD) merc2merc Super-Cars & Imports in India 4 14th December 2008 15:59
W126 Bullet Proof 500 SEL Spotted v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 17 2nd August 2006 13:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:48.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks