Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 17:12   #31
BHPian
 
John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 255
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

http://www.mensxp.com/special-featur...-in-smoke.html
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 08:36   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Yet another supercar import catches fire.


Times of India , New Delhi Edition
Rs 2.7cr Lamborghini goes up in flames, but driver unhurt
Quote:
NEW DELHI: A Lamborghini Gallardo went up in flames near Badarpur Metro station on Monday morning, a few metres from the service centre it was being taken to. The driver managed to escape unhurt after noticing smoke coming out of the engine.

The incident occurred around 9am when Surjan Singh was driving the orange-coloured car to the authorized service centre beside NTPC Chowk in Badarpur. Singh told police that while he was taking a U-turn from the NTPC Chowk, smoke started coming out of the engine.

"I stepped out of the vehicle after smelling the smoke. I did not face any problem while driving from Hauz Khas to Badarpur. The reason for the fire is still uncertain," he added.

However, the fire was confined to the engine in the rear. Singh then called the fire department which sent a tender to douse the flames.


Experts say usually vehicles manufactured by Lamborghini have an inbuilt safety system that does not allow short circuit in the wiring. However, such cars are not meant to be driven slowly as it heats up the engine. This could have led to the fire in this case. "The low chassis leads to dust and debris entering the engine which can cause fire," said an expert.

I am a little puzzled by the experts opinion in this case.

Would real experts be able to throw some light on what the specific cause might have been?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 11:16   #33
BHPian
 
SnS_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 319
Thanked: 857 Times
Default Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

One more adds to the list, a yellow Gallardo went up in flames yesterday (24th) in Delhi.

http://www.thequint.com/videos/2015/...-its-not-yours

Name:  gallardolivelink.jpg
Views: 11356
Size:  93.9 KB

Read in TOI that the owner had just picked up the car from the service center and was heading back and that is when it went up in flames.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 13:42   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

"Surjan Singh, the driver of the car, stepped out after he smelt smoke and the car was ablaze moments later, according to Sarita Vihar fire department."



Source: TheQuint

Guess it can be added to this list! >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Dang!

Why is it that the Lamborghinis are on a long-term crashing spree in this country!?

Lambo incident record till date:
1) LP640 - link (Pics: Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Accident in Bombay!!)
2) Chennai fire - link (Lamborghini catches fire at Chennai Airport)
2) Balboni - link (Lamborghini LP 550-2 Balboni accident. Driver dead, cyclist badly injured)
3) Valet crash - link (Hotel Valet crashes Lamborghini Spyder in Delhi - CCTV footage inside)
4) Verde Ithaca Gallardo - link (Supercar & Import Crashes in India)
5) KL Aventador - link (Supercar & Import Crashes in India)
6) Hyderabad LP560-4 - link (Supercar & Import Crashes in India)
7) LP700-4 - link (Supercar & Import Crashes in India)
Any more...?

Ferrari (in contrast - though the sales numbers aren't as high as Lambo):
1) 599 rear-ends truck - link (Supercar & Import Crashes in India)

Last edited by rehaan2 : 25th August 2015 at 13:48.
rehaan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 14:09   #35
BHPian
 
autobahnjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Noida
Posts: 147
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

So you buy a super car and it lights up not the road but itself.
I hope the poor owner will be compensated adequately by the Insurance company for his loss.

On a lighter note, lets bring in Aamir Khan to investigate the issue (Aka Talaash movie)
autobahnjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 19:49   #36
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

That is one expensive pile of trash!
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 20:23   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 293
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

And why is no one picking on the OEM's this time ?
The same lot went after the lowly Nano after two initial ones caught fire ! The resemblance to these incidents is there indeed ! Both are rear engined LOL !

Jokes apart, if a 3.89 Crore car can burn like this, what was wrong with a similar fire in a Nano costing less than 2 Lakhs ? BTW, after TATA fixed the wiring harness has anyone come across any fires involving the Nano ? Even in the CNG version ?

Let's face the truth - we are hypocrites by birth. We cannot appreciate our home grown designs and products, despite the Nano having 32 patents !
lifebuoy is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 20:53   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,572
Thanked: 2,049 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

Quote:
Let's face the truth - we are hypocrites by birth. We cannot appreciate our home grown designs and products, despite the Nano having 32 patents !
Unfortunately the Nano can be owned by a million in India based on affordability while 3.89Crore is mroe than enough money for many here to simply retire and enjoy life.

It has nothing to do with Hypocricy. Some of the outcry is from potential owners. How many in India own a 3.89 Crore who really have concern to first be in a social forum, raise a cry and try getting attention from Lamb. 22 cars were sold in 2014 approximately. 22 vs approximately 2.7 L owners.

Nano didnt get appreciated because it was marketed incorrectly. If you say cheapest car and price it around 2L while a Nano which is so established and bigger can do better at the same price give or take.

If Nano was home grown and priced at home grown price (1L may be) then we are talking about a different recognition.

It has to do with multiple angles and to me its just the volume of people owning it.

And to me i could care less if the Lambo catches fire or an Audi R8. I dont think i have any remote chance of owning one of them that too in India.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 21:39   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
shyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,423
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

And here she is getting towed away...one last ride, alas!
Supercars & Imports catching fire in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1440605302.243231.jpg
shyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 01:32   #40
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
And why is no one picking on the OEM's this time ?
The same lot went after the lowly Nano after two initial ones caught fire ! The resemblance to these incidents is there indeed ! Both are rear engined LOL !

Jokes apart, if a 3.89 Crore car can burn like this, what was wrong with a similar fire in a Nano costing less than 2 Lakhs ? BTW, after TATA fixed the wiring harness has anyone come across any fires involving the Nano ? Even in the CNG version ?

Let's face the truth - we are hypocrites by birth. We cannot appreciate our home grown designs and products, despite the Nano having 32 patents !
Absolutely, we are the best when it comes to having two faced opinions. I still remember the hue and cry also the millions of FB posts of burning Nanos. I have read on this very forum 10s of other brands burning up, some even loosing life in the inferno. And most people come back justifying, saying its a one off, or may be its ill maintained car etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unfortunately the Nano can be owned by a million in India based on affordability while 3.89Crore is mroe than enough money for many here to simply retire and enjoy life.

It has nothing to do with Hypocricy. Some of the outcry is from potential owners. How many in India own a 3.89 Crore who really have concern to first be in a social forum, raise a cry and try getting attention from Lamb. 22 cars were sold in 2014 approximately. 22 vs approximately 2.7 L owners.

Nano didnt get appreciated because it was marketed incorrectly. If you say cheapest car and price it around 2L while a Nano which is so established and bigger can do better at the same price give or take.

If Nano was home grown and priced at home grown price (1L may be) then we are talking about a different recognition.

It has to do with multiple angles and to me its just the volume of people owning it.

And to me i could care less if the Lambo catches fire or an Audi R8. I dont think i have any remote chance of owning one of them that too in India.
Beg to differ, just because the numbers are low they are ok to burn ? what if the owner died in the incident ? How about the Hondas and Marutis and Fords that burnt ?

about the 1L price, I know Tata did promise us a 1Lac car, but assuming you would have followed all the econ-political situation across the years the Nano was in Development, could Tata have kept its promise while still remaining profitable ? 150CC bikes used to cost close to 1L even during 2010s. And what car does better of what at the same cost ? It went on to be a dud because many Indians are herd minded, not only with cars but with most decisions not because it was incorrectly marketed. Zest/Bolt were marketed right, but you know how they are doing.
anand.shankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 01:48   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
shyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,423
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default





Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Let's not forget the red Murcielago Barchetta / Spyder (One of only two in the Country) that crashed somewhere in Frazer Town(?) in Bangalore a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Murcielago SV crash from India Gate
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/3677630-post.html

And a few days after that this yellow Murcielago crashed in Gurgaon
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/gurga...w/46973454.cms

Orange Gallardo LP560-4 that caught fire two days back in Delhi
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/3785775-post.html

That i think pretty much covers the list, right?
That makes it a dozen Lamborghini crashes in India so far, ouch!
shyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 01:57   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,572
Thanked: 2,049 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

Quote:
Beg to differ, just because the numbers are low they are ok to burn ?
I am just saying the hue and cry is almost absent compared to what happened with Nano purely because of the number of people who actually care about or have an option of owning them.

I am pretty sure it was the pricing part that pushed Nano to a segment equivalent to proven maruthi 800 and alto segment and we all know that segment is potentially untouchable with what Maruthi can offer.

Again, i am not generalizing and if i did by mistake, i am sorry. Just my point of view on both the topic.

And again Nano came from Tata and their reputation after they decided to sell for cab service never recovered. Someone who tried their MPV was surprised that such a sturdy build will not sell at their exorbitant pricing purely because it was called TATA. Again personal.

The tata Nano issue because more so a problem because of the media attention it got as the cheapest car in the world to the n number of problem users started reporting including excessive smoking, failure of parts, TATA acknowledging changing of parts supplier due to quality control and what not. The burning of Nano was not isolated but a culmination of overall bad press on the Nano and not just bad press, customer feedback on service, support and even something simple as rusting started to create an overall negative image.

To me a great oppurtunity lost purely by bad management of product, release and service.

Toyota is still driving sales inspite of their massive recalls in recent years including safety concerns. But their overall image as a company is so high the recalls were simply not creating a massive hate effect.

But for Nano from day 1 the issues have been never properly addressed and there were customers without a car for days seeing their car rust in the garage.

We are hypocrites if we were promised a 1L car, promised decent service and support network and were promised that the car had high quality parts and more and more and were delivered something that was problematic, costly and at the end was not nearly the same experience of owning a maruthi. Unfortunately these hypocrites also compare it with what they could have bought , which is more than care, a peace of mind and a tested product.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 22:57   #43
BHPian
 
Tanmay K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: HR-26, UK-07
Posts: 197
Thanked: 169 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

Sorry if I might be digressing a bit from the thread's theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am just saying the hue and cry is almost absent compared to what happened with Nano purely because of the number of people who actually care about or have an option of owning them.
I think this is fairly true. But there is also a brand/product image and price-tag effect at play.

What is the psychological reaction of people when they hear about a multi-crore car burning up? Pretty much:
"This is an expensive car so the manufacturers must have done their jobs well enough to prevent such incidents, but yet since it happened it must be an outlier event."
On the other hand, when something like this happens to a Nano, the average person's reaction is:
"Oh this is what happens when you cut costs and build a cheap car; surely the manufacturers must have cut corners and undermined safety".
I can even make an audacious claim: Nanos are safer than Lamborghinis. I could even support this claim by saying that if out of the 100 Lambos sold in India in the last 5 years vs the 2,50,000 Nanos, one Lamborghini catches fire and 8 Nanos catch fire, statistically speaking, the Nano should be safer.

Thankfully, I do know better than to make such claims.

The issue here is that we simply do not have enough data points to make a well-informed statistical observation and saying cheaper Indian cars catch fire more than others. In other words, I'm neither accepting nor rejecting these hypotheses. I'm totally in comfortable saying "No, I can't be certain about this" rather than simply believing what the I read in Forbes or Times of India.
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 13:44   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 239
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

These cars are actually not fit for India. A reason why they blow up is because they are constantly run at low speeds wherein the engine gets massively overheated and added to it is the amount of dust in the air. These engines need to be opened up and are best when they are at high rpms and high speeds wherein there is lot of air flow and consequently good amount of cooling. The cooling systems are overwhelmed here and hence they catch fire. Why even our KTM's suffer from heating problems in city traffic so why not these exotics. Other than show off value these cars are terribly unfit for this country. The type of people buying these can easily afford to buy a house in Dubai/Europe etc and truly enjoy it there but the agenda seems to be quite different...Another option could be the "middle east" package that manufacturers make for Dubai etc wherein much larger cooling systems are installed at the factory for specific middle east markets.
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 14:06   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 293
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Supercars & Imports catching fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And to me i could care less if the Lambo catches fire or an Audi R8. I dont think i have any remote chance of owning one of them that too in India.
You missed the point. The point in question is the cause of the mishaps and the fact that it can occur in expensive cars as well. Add the hypocrisy in not criticizing these OEMs and only TATA for the Nano.
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supercars & Imports : Bangalore ajmat Super-Cars & Imports in India 14574 16th December 2017 09:43
Supercars & Imports : Kerala hanmust Super-Cars & Imports in India 8617 12th December 2017 12:42
Supercars & Imports : Pune karlosdeville Super-Cars & Imports in India 2483 7th December 2017 10:02
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India bigman The Indian Car Scene 565 15th November 2017 08:46
Cars catching fire diffsoft The Indian Car Scene 1 1st August 2009 13:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks