Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 16:05   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,188
Thanked: 8,570 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
Third picture with the Bentley in one piece, what is that car in the background?
Looks like a 1957/58 Plymouth Savoy, but the fins seems to be missing.

Could be the 1960 Buick LeSabre as well, not too sure.

Last edited by //M : 8th December 2015 at 16:07.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 00:37   #32
BHPian
 
Impala59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 111
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Looks like a 1957/58 Plymouth Savoy, but the fins seems to be missing.

Could be the 1960 Buick LeSabre as well, not too sure.
That seems to be a 59/60 Chevy Impala going by the fins and the wraparound windshield design.
Impala59 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 01:03   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,571
Thanked: 2,046 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Another problem is that high-end Europeans aren't reliable. This is especially the case as they age. They are loaded with gizmos & electronics making repair difficult. From the owners point of view, why throw good money after bad? That's why you'll see more of abandoned Germans than say, a Toyota Landcruise
The engine and transmission are reliable for forever. The electronics and gizmos kills it. Even the suspension like for the MKV jetta is pretty costly compared to the later ones.

Every part is costly when you go via dealer. But luckily there are so many places where you can pick these parts.

Most important question is, as a buyer are you ready to spend time if not money in case things goes wrong. It requires tremendous patience.

At the same time the pre electronic era cars are still some of the most reliable ones.

Noting beats an Honda though. It will run till you want to and still be sold at a decent price.

In fact only in India this Honda Accord resale is poor. All other countries the Accord is one of the most easiest to buy and sell car
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 05:35   #34
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,883
Thanked: 3,268 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Almost all the German cars I have seen rotting / abandoned - be it a BMW, Merc or Audi - have been "grounded". And these are cars that are almost just a decade old. So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension? I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper? Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

Sorry for the multiple qyestions!
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 09:31   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,892
Thanked: 9,729 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension?

I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper?

Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

Sorry for the multiple qyestions!
1: It should be treated as a wear and tear item - pumps and strtus need replacement. Instead, everyone waits for them to fail

2: People do not know or hanve not done research on this

3: Compressor failure, strut fails. Setting up the suspension needs a diagnostic tool - thats where we get held to ransom!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 13:25   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

While we're on to the topic of discussing costs related to maintaining an imported car, I was wondering if the additional tech and gadgetry that it comes along with is a necessary evil.

Found a very interesting article on TheVerge which detail a very genuine problem in forthcoming luxury barges - features becoming liabilities!

The author doesn't seem to be in denial of what is being discussed on this thread here as his last line says "The good news is that when someone buys the 2016 750i in 15 years, the gesture-motion sensors probably will have stopped working anyhow."
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 23:37   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 127
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Checking some other forums of BMW owners - some of them suggest the following for the BMW 750s

>Use good fuel, 91+ only. Use a fuel system cleaner every 5 tanks of gas. This will help keep everything clean to an extent. I recommend Techron or Redline SI-1, best bang for the buck.

What are similar alternatives here?


> Use Seafoam or BG44K through some Vac. lines on the engine every 10-15K miles. You guys will have carbon buildup thanks to all the EPA systems on the car to ensure low emmissions.

Haven't heard of this before. Is this something that even happens here?
maverhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 04:47   #38
BHPian
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NCR/Turin
Posts: 421
Thanked: 594 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Almost all the German cars I have seen rotting / abandoned - be it a BMW, Merc or Audi - have been "grounded". And these are cars that are almost just a decade old. So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension? I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper? Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

Sorry for the multiple qyestions!
I don't know about those old W220's but usually air suspension does sort of collapse when the car isn't used for a while, at least from what I've seen. Fire the car up after a long time and she would lose her squatty stance and rise up again. So we can't be sure that all of those Merc's have busted air suspension!
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 23:58   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,883
Thanked: 3,268 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Coming back to this thread - In the past 2-3 months, I have seen close to 15-20 Audi's on the road with either their suspension opened up or busted or kind of abandoned at garages. And its not the older Audi's - especially the A6 and the Q7. Could be a case of cars being bought cheap and the new owner is not able to maintain it.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 03:27   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Almost all the German cars I have seen rotting / abandoned - be it a BMW, Merc or Audi - have been "grounded". And these are cars that are almost just a decade old. So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension? I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper? Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

Sorry for the multiple qyestions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Coming back to this thread - In the past 2-3 months, I have seen close to 15-20 Audi's on the road with either their suspension opened up or busted or kind of abandoned at garages. And its not the older Audi's - especially the A6 and the Q7. Could be a case of cars being bought cheap and the new owner is not able to maintain it.

Airbag failure is THE most common complaint. OEMs have not done a good job of

1. Designing a robust failure free air strut
2. Offering parts/fix at a reasonable price

Replacement cost of air strut is astronomical

There was a company that used to make coil strut replacement for the W220
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 20:42   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 113
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

I have been noticing a BMW 3 series(E90) just sitting at a local mechanic for about 8 months. I had the intention of buying cheap if it was available, so I walked up to the garage and asked about the price. The garage owner was completely against selling the car saying the car is equal to scrap now. Apparently, something went wrong with the engine and the ECU and the BMW service centre wasn't able to solve it. The owner brought it to this garage claiming some other problem and abandoned it here. He says he is ready to sell it for the scrap metal cost.

The car had pristine interiors though.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 21:22   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,883
Thanked: 3,268 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Thanks Mpower, I believe you meant Air suspension failure. Read a lot on international forums on the replacement conventional coil spring conversion for the Mercs.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...26_gid633.html
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 21:26   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 44
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post

The car had pristine interiors though.
Best to find another working e90 and swap the best bits if this is going for parts..
krish69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 21:41   #44
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,883
Thanked: 3,268 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I have been noticing a BMW 3 series(E90) just sitting at a local mechanic for about 8 months. I had the intention of buying cheap if it was available, so I walked up to the garage and asked about the price. The garage owner was completely against selling the car saying the car is equal to scrap now. Apparently, something went wrong with the engine and the ECU and the BMW service centre wasn't able to solve it. The owner brought it to this garage claiming some other problem and abandoned it here. He says he is ready to sell it for the scrap metal cost.

The car had pristine interiors though.
Could be a good donor car If you are planning to buy an E90.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 02:13   #45
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,761
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks Mpower, I believe you meant Air suspension failure. Read a lot on international forums on the replacement conventional coil spring conversion for the Mercs.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...26_gid633.html
Naah he meant the airbag in the air suspension. The rears usually have separate air bags (air springs), while they are integrated in the fronts, just like a normal suspension with shocks and steel springs.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN! sidindica The Indian Car Scene 223 28th July 2014 13:57
My Third Car - much difficult choice than i imagined urban_legend SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 31 14th June 2010 16:12
Maintaining a car is now more expensive as labour rates increased by > 10 % at A.S.C. sidindica The Indian Car Scene 11 13th May 2009 15:48
Difficult to find In-Car Entertainment Forum or even team-bhp -> Suggestions SoundManiac In-Car Entertainment 6 30th January 2006 13:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks