Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 3rd January 2016, 20:49   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ford F-150 SuperCrew in Mumbai

Ford F-150 SuperCrew in Mumbai-535101_559023060922571_5419197730537638093_n.jpg

Here is another pic from the page. The suspension seems to be modified as well. There is not doubt though, that the car is not stock at all. Hoping to see more of this car in future.
Good way or bad way, I am just excited to see such beauty being imported to India.
kvsingh13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 10:20   #17
BHPian

Saw the monster breezing past Breach Candy just last night. Couldn't quite believe my eyes at first. What presence !
KMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 10:33   #18

This is definitely a 2015 or later model year Ford F-150 which has got an all aluminium body. Even in the US, reviewers have cautioned about the difficulty in body repairs as aluminium body repairs are costly and not many independent body shops have the capability to do it. I am wondering how the owner would have planned for any such scenario.
georgesraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 10:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank0782 View Post
Good information there, but Something is not right. The VIN also says its the LHD while I think it isn't.
Can LHD cars be legally registered in India for normal road usage by a private party?

Last edited by blackasta : 4th January 2016 at 10:51.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 18:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
So somebody has imported a 2015 RHD Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew to Mumbai. First I thought it must be a Carnet import but then saw a picture showing MH registeration!
Pictures via aman_mehta96 and automobiliardent@instagram.

Attachment 1454726

Attachment 1454727

Attachment 1454728

Attachment 1454729

Any idea which garage this monster will be going to? I wouldn't be surprised if it shares garage with the recently imported Dodge Challenger.

And what is the engine spec? Is it the stock 2.7L twin-turbo V6 petrol or the optional 3.5L EcoBoost V6? RWD or 4x4?

A quick look at the stock engine specs and dimensions:

Attachment 1454730

Attachment 1454731

Out of sheer curiosity, the ~48L price tag is before or after taxes/import duties/customs???
shivs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 18:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivs2003 View Post
Out of sheer curiosity, the ~48L price tag is before or after taxes/import duties/customs???
It's the price before import duties and taxes.
Anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 00:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Import duties on cars are in place to protect our vibrant local industry.
How many percent of our population will spend to buy such vehicles? Can you please help me understand how is import duties on such vehicles help in protecting our local industries? Which other vehicles/pickups in India costs this amount and have similar features? I'm not supporting the person importing the wrong way, my question is on the import duties only.
sreejinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 01:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How many percent of our population will spend to buy such vehicles? Can you please help me understand how is import duties on such vehicles help in protecting our local industries? Which other vehicles/pickups in India costs this amount and have similar features?
I will try , trouble is spill over to lower or different segments so if say duties on cars costing over say 50,000 USD or 100000 USD are allowed at lower then present or at par with what are applicable for local manufactured what will be incentives of setting up units in India ? for example X5 or Q 7 retails at around 65 Lac so anyone looking at something like this price range can easily pick this ford @ 45 Lac plus 15 -50 % or so duties. What if Government decides to lower present duties - Land Cruiser will become cheaper and compete with X5 . Eventually BMW & likes will stay away from building factories here and will also get CBU from countries where they have better economies of scale .

In overall scheme of things , its important for India to encourage local production at least till the time market becomes so mature & large that local industry can take care of itself . If Government decides to lower custom / import duties on hatchbacks with less than 1,3 or 1 ,0 ltr & 4000 mm length - I wonder how many cars from globe will able to compete with local industry but 10 years back such imports would have simply eaten this segment and not many manufactures would have dared to put in investments like they have did in setting up plants .

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th January 2016 at 01:27.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 02:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will try , trouble is spill over to lower or different segments so if say duties on cars costing over say 50,000 USD or 100000 USD are allowed at lower then present or at par with what are applicable for local manufactured what will be incentives of setting up units in India ? for example X5 or Q 7 retails at around 65 Lac so anyone looking at something like this price range can easily pick this ford @ 45 Lac plus 15 -50 % or so duties. What if Government decides to lower present duties - Land Cruiser will become cheaper and compete with X5 . Eventually BMW & likes will stay away from building factories here and will also get CBU from countries where they have better economies of scale .

In overall scheme of things , its important for India to encourage local production at least till the time market becomes so mature & large that local industry can take care of itself . If Government decides to lower custom / import duties on hatchbacks with less than 1,3 or 1 ,0 ltr & 4000 mm length - I wonder how many cars from globe will able to compete with local industry but 10 years back such imports would have simply eaten this segment and not many manufactures would have dared to put in investments like they have did in setting up plants .

I'm a newbie in the industry, can you give me a ballpark on the percentage of people in India buying cars worth 50 lacs INR or above? Is it more than 0.25/0.5 percent? If yes then why not lower rates for cars worth 50 lacs or more. Of course the amount is just an example. I understand the concept of investments/plants/jobs in India which these companies are doing already by manufacturing polos, ventos, rapids, etc.

Last edited by sreejinair : 5th January 2016 at 02:40. Reason: addition
sreejinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 10:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
can you give me a ballpark on the percentage of people in India buying cars worth 50 lacs INR or above? Is it more than 0.25/0.5 percent?
You are still not getting my point probably , who will determine if 50 lac is border line figure to make duties less - why not 40 or 30 or even 20 Lac ? and soon we have a situation where everyone is happy selling CBU .
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 14:38   #26
BHPian

This thing is huge!
Pictures really do not do enough justice, one has to see it with their own eyes to believe what a behemoth this thing is!!
Spotted it yesterday evening on the highway going towards Borivali/Virar.
The road presence of this is truly like no other. And yes, with the unique DRL design this pick up does look something out of an animation movie for sure.

Cheers.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 16:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Can LHD cars be legally registered in India for normal road usage by a private party?
I'm afraid not, only for testing purposes.

Quote:
Nearly a year after relaxing the testing norms for cars imported by individuals, the government has now decided to allow carmakers to import left-hand drive vehicles into India albeit only for testing and research purposes.

The imported left-hand driven vehicles, senior government officials said, cannot be sold to Indian customers. "These vehicles can be imported strictly for testing purposes by companies" .
Source
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 17:35   #28
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideman View Post
I wish it was a V8. Just like the Challenger, wish that was a V8 too.

Happens to be the same Challenger's stable mate
A.K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 18:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Eventually BMW & likes will stay away from building factories here and will also get CBU from countries where they have better economies of scale .
And the exact opposite is happening! Car makers are enjoying the benefits of lower duties on CKD assembly and the car prices have gone up to almost 200% cost in the last 5-7 years for the same models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
How many percent of our population will spend to buy such vehicles? Can you please help me understand how is import duties on such vehicles help in protecting our local industries? Which other vehicles/pickups in India costs this amount and have similar features? I'm not supporting the person importing the wrong way, my question is on the import duties only.
I think he was being a little sarcastic here. It's not a big enough problem, plus I'm sure they are local manufacturers lobbying against this being touched lest it creeps into their interests.

Similar thing happened in 2008 when Honda and Yamaha lobbied that their CBU bikes with full duties paid couldn't compete with grey market imports (R1 used to cost approx 8.5lac Grey and 10.5lac in the showroom.) This instigated a huge operation across the country by the DRI with everyone involved with this business and it's completely died down. I have not seen any bike imported after 2008 and now the same bikes are priced 18-19 lakh by the manufacturers since there is no competition by direct imports. These laws are used by manufacturers to drive up the prescribed value of their products. The majority of population who is buying it doesn't care if it costs 15lac or 20. It's killing the culture but helping the manufacturers immensely.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 17:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT:
Ford has released pictures and specifications of the 2017 SuperCrew F150 SVT Raptor.
Looks meaner and is more powerful than this BlackOps by Tuscany. And since someone already managed to import this mammoth albeit the hefty duty, I hope someone imports a Raptor soon!
Full details and press release here: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2...#slide-3762919
Ford F-150 SuperCrew in Mumbai-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452513688.578244.jpgFord F-150 SuperCrew in Mumbai-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452513700.011572.jpgFord F-150 SuperCrew in Mumbai-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452513712.562296.jpgFord F-150 SuperCrew in Mumbai-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452513721.596335.jpg
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote