Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:43   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

I am not sure of the self made bit because from what I know they are a multigeneration (4 generations) bidi and trading (big time) marwadi family from Rajesthan settled outside kolhapur. They have been in business for the whole time so i am foxed about the self made bit (also quoted in the website)!
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:02   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Sanjay Ghodawat, the owner of multi business including Star has around 120 Cars and a Chopter. Recently a magazine (i forgot the name i think its outlook business) carried article on small town big business men. There was abigh picture of Sanjay and his chopter. He also said that he is eyeing on Bugati veyron for some time now .
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:05   #108
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sanjay Ghodawat, the owner of multi business including Star has around 120 Cars and a Chopter. Recently a magazine (i forgot the name i think its outlook business) carried article on small town big business men. There was abigh picture of Sanjay and his chopter. He also said that he is eyeing on Bugati veyron for some time now .
Umm..What is a Chopter?
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:03   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Its something between a chopper and a copter.....
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 00:25   #110
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

aaaah Still no where close to the real money in Kolhapur. A very well known politician and businessman used a LWB Phantom to drag his plow through some of his fields when his tractor broke down.

Anyway that's a collection worth looking out for. It'll be hard to spot their cars as they dont roam out of their lands which in themselves are vast. One of their cars is the LP640
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 10:48   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
aaaah Still no where close to the real money in Kolhapur. A very well known politician and businessman used a LWB Phantom to drag his plow through some of his fields when his tractor broke down.
Anything to authenticate this statement DocG . If this were true the Rolls would definately need more than just a service. There is no record of either of the Kolhapur cars being abused and by the way none are LWB's.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 12:59   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

DocG seems like a repeat of the Raja who truned his into garbage pickup cars! Hard to beilieve what you are claiming therefore I agree with speedy. No amount of what you say can be digested unless you have pics of the actual car with the plough etc to back it up. Atleast we have seen pics of the garbage pickup!
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 13:10   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

The land of the sugar kings.

We have been travelling to Kolhapur atleast once a year for visiting the temples there.

After the sugar industry grew, everyone become rich in and around those parts.

Very hardworking people who have seen abject povery, no water and food only a few years back. Now though its a very different place.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 15:56   #114
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Anything to authenticate this statement DocG . If this were true the Rolls would definately need more than just a service. There is no record of either of the Kolhapur cars being abused and by the way none are LWB's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
DocG seems like a repeat of the Raja who truned his into garbage pickup cars! Hard to beilieve what you are claiming therefore I agree with speedy. No amount of what you say can be digested unless you have pics of the actual car with the plough etc to back it up. Atleast we have seen pics of the garbage pickup!
Well guys I've been to their lands, and seen some of their cars, but no pics allowed, which is sad. The plowing incident was narrated to me by the owners nephew. I don't know how true it is, but am inclined to believe him as I've seen how they use their cars.

The owner is a very famous politician and sugar magnate. Also one of the richest men in India without doubt. I can't argue about his collection, because you know how IT has been getting these past few years. Hence a lot of their cars are kept in barns/buildings locked up. Bottom line is there are a lot more exotics in that district. You probably have already guessed who the person is, and by extension know what he's capable of

Cheers.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 15:57   #115
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
aaaah Still no where close to the real money in Kolhapur. A very well known politician and businessman used a LWB Phantom to drag his plow through some of his fields when his tractor broke down.

Anyway that's a collection worth looking out for. It'll be hard to spot their cars as they dont roam out of their lands which in themselves are vast. One of their cars is the LP640
Bull **** DocG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Anything to authenticate this statement DocG . If this were true the Rolls would definately need more than just a service. There is no record of either of the Kolhapur cars being abused and by the way none are LWB's.
I agree with you Speedy.



Some more to this thread can be seen here Kolhapur (Confirmed! RR Phantom, SL55 AMG & Hummer H2).

I was told there was a Diablo in Kolhapur but I don't really have concrete proof. But I recently read about it here too.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 17:20   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Well guys I've been to their lands, and seen some of their cars, but no pics allowed, which is sad. The plowing incident was narrated to me by the owners nephew. I don't know how true it is, but am inclined to believe him as I've seen how they use their cars.

The owner is a very famous politician and sugar magnate. Also one of the richest men in India without doubt. I can't argue about his collection, because you know how IT has been getting these past few years. Hence a lot of their cars are kept in barns/buildings locked up. Bottom line is there are a lot more exotics in that district. You probably have already guessed who the person is, and by extension know what he's capable of

Cheers.
The guy was just pulling your leg DocG . My Friends father is also a Politician from there and i had visited both the Garages and seen and Photographed all their cars, bikes etc. I am not allowed to post them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I agree with you Speedy.



Some more to this thread can be seen here Kolhapur (Confirmed! RR Phantom, SL55 AMG & Hummer H2).

I was told there was a Diablo in Kolhapur but I don't really have concrete proof. But I recently read about it here too.
The diablo was a myth. They had the Murcilago and in those days the only lamborghini model that would come to mind was the diablo. I myself had called the first two three Lambo's a Diablo. The only original diablo vt was with my friend in Bombay and was on carnet.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 23:37   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Here are links to Ghodawats articles and a pic from same...



business.outlookindia.com | The Road To Jaisinghpur

business.outlookindia.com | Big Business Small Towns
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 11:17   #118
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

That Ferrari is surely Ex-Pune and then Ex-Delhi.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 13:50   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Yes I thought the same was surpirsed (007) I was given the impression they were motly the petipack type! Claims are most/all cars are bought brand new
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 16:34   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
That Ferrari is surely Ex-Pune and then Ex-Delhi.
This is the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Yes I thought the same was surpirsed (007) I was given the impression they were motly the petipack type! Claims are most/all cars are bought brand new
Not atall. He buys a car on his fancy and budget. So if he likes the 06 Gallardo spyder and it is in his budget he will pick it up. Those are claims Canonball, this is reality . It does not make a difference as long as when they get to him they are taken care off and he has an amazing collection.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SBK tales - Picking an SBK, Biker style! The Yamaha FZ1 kingofmyworld Superbikes & Imports 33 10th February 2014 10:04
180 Mercedes Benz cars booked in Kolhapur sidindica The Indian Car Scene 24 25th July 2011 17:14
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Belgaun-Kolhapur-Tuljapur-Mumbai udaydesai Travelogues 9 5th May 2011 12:08
Exotics, super cars and high-end imports in Mumbai hanmust Super-Cars & Imports in India 12 27th February 2009 10:15
Do i have any other choice other than Indica turbo diesel ?? tanishq Hatchbacks 35 11th June 2006 17:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks