Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 5th March 2017, 13:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai police impound 10 sports cars for racing, drivers deny charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
... ... ... I am not sure which of the two are going to give them a bigger headache, police inspectors or tax inspectors.
Surely, people who can afford to buy and run cars like that have their tax affairs sorted and in the hands of serious professionals?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 14:03   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai police impound 10 sports cars for racing, drivers deny charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Surely, people who can afford to buy and run cars like that have their tax affairs sorted and in the hands of serious professionals?
Not necessarily.

One of the first IT raids post demonetisation was prompted by the supposed incongruity of a Government official's son moving around in a Porsche, Ducati and Lamborghini.

https://www.bangaloremirror.indiatim...w/55796703.cms
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 14:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Not necessarily.

One of the first IT raids post demonetisation was prompted by the supposed incongruity of a Government official's son moving around in a Porsche, Ducati and Lamborghini.

https://www.bangaloremirror.indiatim...w/55796703.cms
Yeah, the Ducati bought from the ill-gotton wealth is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...e-1199r-4.html (India gets its 1st Ducati Panigale 1199R!)
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 16:59   #19
BHPian

Did this case get settled finally? Looks like most of the cars are registered in TN itself. Also do they have any proofs against the drivers for rash and negligent driving, except that one fellow who ride over the police man?

The Police would have probably averted one high speed race for sure. But these guys were stopped before Uthandi toll right? Usually the speeding starts after the toll and hence it would be difficult for the Police to come with genuine evidence against all of them.

The owners would have been more worried about the IT case rather than the police case.
Cruiser_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 12:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know it looks like some of the cars may have been released as the Orange Aventador with the lemons was seen during the launch of the Aventador S in Hassan.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 14:28   #21
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
As far as I know it looks like some of the cars may have been released as the Orange Aventador with the lemons was seen during the launch of the Aventador S in Hassan.
All of the cars have been released as far as I know.
A.K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 15:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
All of the cars have been released as far as I know.
Has to be - All cars must have been released by now as I am sure they don't have the funds and security to guard these elephants 24/7. It will cost the Police Department lot extra to guard them, so they might have just let it go.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 15:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I just went in this stretch recently and the road before Uthandi toll (From Chennai) has a very low speed limit. I had my maps ON and some stretches had a 40 kmph limit - so, this will definitely add to the observation these guys were indeed speeding (as per the speed limits). For some reason, I chose to be sane this time, inspite of the road being not so crowded and straight enough and was cruising very close to the speed limits with the app giving me warning chimes every time I cross the limit.

A couple of kms before the toll, there were police personnel with the speed gun too and I escaped it while I saw some two & four wheelers were stopped.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 17:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I just went in this stretch recently and the road before Uthandi toll (From Chennai) has a very low speed limit. I had my maps ON and some stretches had a 40 kmph limit - so, this will definitely add to the observation these guys were indeed speeding (as per the speed limits). For some reason, I chose to be sane this time, inspite of the road being not so crowded and straight enough and was cruising very close to the speed limits with the app giving me warning chimes every time I cross the limit.

A couple of kms before the toll, there were police personnel with the speed gun too and I escaped it while I saw some two & four wheelers were stopped.
Which map chimes when you exceed speed limit? Does Google map have that feature? or is it in-car map?
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 18:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Which map chimes when you exceed speed limit? Does Google map have that feature? or is it in-car map?
HERE maps. I use that always for my voice navigation while driving.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote