Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 17:58   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Hi Speedy I saw a red one in Mumbai as well between 99 and 2003, at times it had a very fair Semon Tata type lady sitting next to the dirver she seemed like a genuine blood red M3 I think she was up for sale and then disappeared. What caught my attention about this red car was it was dirven by a driver at most times!
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 18:22   #107
BHPian
 
MARCUS_520i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 522
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedaUsername View Post
And is just me or the reflection of the M3 on the floor doesnt show red discs.

Because it's only a wet floor and not a mirror!!!
MARCUS_520i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 18:51   #108
BHPian
 
spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I have seen the same e36/m3 on carwale as well and it was advertised as M3...not really have enough knowldge of the e36 series so cant comment. The owner earlier was asking approx 13 lac for it.

From inside it had the M steering along with the M logo on the gear shifter.

Arush had worked on this car before so only he can comment on it.

@Speedy : I should be getting it back to Mumbai by the end of the month..will bring it when I come to see your collection
spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 11:58   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hi Speedy I saw a red one in Mumbai as well between 99 and 2003, at times it had a very fair Semon Tata type lady sitting next to the dirver she seemed like a genuine blood red M3 I think she was up for sale and then disappeared. What caught my attention about this red car was it was dirven by a driver at most times!
How could i forget the red one. She was an M3 and mostly driven by a driver. I did not mention her as she was not a kitted car. i do not remember where this car went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
@Speedy : I should be getting it back to Mumbai by the end of the month..will bring it when I come to see your collection
most welcome sir.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 14:54   #110
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Post

Just checked this thread as I met up with up with a 3000 real up close recently. Its definitely packed to the hilt with acronyms, some punchy poke and a LOT of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
It's a beautiful car from which to watch a Supra pass by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
the only reason thats happened coz they sold far fewer numbers than poopras and the platform has only begun developing with super mods in the last couple of years.
A Supra is a Supra, period. Nothing comes even close.

OT- @autopsyche- if im not mistaken, isn't that a Supra in your avatar?? Well, opposites can co-exist.

Last edited by doomsday : 26th July 2009 at 14:57.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 16:27   #111
BHPian
 
spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post

OT- @autopsyche- if im not mistaken, isn't that a Supra in your avatar?? Well, opposites can co-exist.
That is Autopsyche's one of a kind Wide body 3000gt actually
spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 17:11   #112
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
That is Autopsyche's one of a kind Wide body 3000gt actually
I don't think that is the case, as the wheels and ORVMs are different and the red/black paint combination can't be seen. The Supra bodyline bears some resemblance to a 3000, hence the illusion.

Last edited by doomsday : 26th July 2009 at 17:18.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 17:40   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
That is Autopsyche's one of a kind Wide body 3000gt actually
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
I don't think that is the case, as the wheels and ORVMs are different and the red/black paint combination can't be seen. The Supra bodyline bears some resemblance to a 3000, hence the illusion.
Well Yokohama used the 3000GT as a stand-in for the original Advan JGTC Supra.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 18:17   #114
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well Yokohama used the 3000GT as a stand-in for the original Advan JGTC Supra.
Oh yes, it just flashed- having seeing this 3000GT at the last auto expo in the Yoko stall and a couple of print ads later as well if I'm not mistaken.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:12   #115
BHPian
 
spawnofsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los angeles/Mumbai
Posts: 707
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post

A Supra is a Supra, period. Nothing comes even close.
Would you care to back your claim? What is your statement based on? Have you extensively owned any other cars that are considered its competition? Or is this claim based on the fast and the furious movie which shot supra prices way higher than they ought to be? Supras are put on a pedestal for no reason and the they are priced all wrong. A supra is no supra when a 300zxTT is around.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:18   #116
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Would you care to back your claim? Have you extensively owned any other cars that are considered its competition? Or is this claim based on the fast and the furious movie which shot supra prices way higher than they ought to be? Supras are put on a pedestal for no reason and the they are priced all wrong. A supra is no supra when a 300zxTT is around.
I haven't had the good fortune of owning the Supra or any of its competition which you seem to have- namely multiple Z32s. And just because my avatar has a snapshot from F&F does not mean that I idolise that movie unlike yourself who seems to think the ZXTT is the best Jap Supercar ever made.

You wanted facts, well- here you go.

1. The quickest and fastest street-legal Supra (w factory 6spd trans) runs 7.1 second passes. By comparison, the VG30 powered ZXs haven't broken into 8s yet.

2. The quickest Supra in the world runs a 6.5 second pass. The quickest Nissan in the world though, isn't even powered by a VG30, using a VQ35 instead (is slower than the 2JZ though). This shows the robustness of the 2JZ when it comes outright power.

3. Nissan has never, ever raced the VG30 competitively. The RB26 by comparison was built for racing, and they even used the VQ30 in the GT500 R34s, but not the VG30. Its was the choice of Nissan factory- so they knew that the VG didn't have the potential from the word go.

4. The reason the VG cannot make as much power as the 2JZ or the RB26 is the head- which flows much lesser CFM even when built all-out. Basically, the motor wasn't built for high revs and big turbos but for mid-sized turbos and lower end grunt. In the Nissan camp, the RB was designed ground up for higher rpm usage. They obviously knew better than to manufacture two flagship motors with similar performance.

5. Powerwise, even on the streets, tons of 2JZs are hitting 1200rwhp+ all day long while there are like <5 VG30s pushing barely 1000. The rest of 'em are trailered to the track.

6. It is a widely-know fact that the Z32s are a bi*** to work on- the engine is jammed in the bay, one can barely see anything under the plenum and not to mention the 'famed' VTC system not functioning as intended up now and then. This comes from a tuner who has had the painful experience of maintaining a Z32 in India. Its a widely know joke that the easy way to replace the water pump on the VG30 is to unbolt the engine mounts and jack it up.

Enough said. I think these points should suffice to "back up my claims".

P.S. The VG will only have the advantage in handling (in the same chassis) because its a V6 and hence it will be lower and shorter than a straight-six, lowering the CG and aiding weight distribution.

The ZX is just a ZX when no one is around.

This is way off-topic...
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 13:54   #117
BHPian
 
spawnofsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los angeles/Mumbai
Posts: 707
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

"I haven't had the good fortune of owning the Supra or any of its competition which you seem to have- namely multiple Z32s. And just because my avatar has a snapshot from F&F does not mean that I idolise that movie unlike yourself who seems to think the ZXTT is the best Jap Supercar ever made."

Well firstly I never said that I think a Z is the best Jap supercar, the best jap supercar would be a GTR, also a Nissan.

"You wanted facts, well- here you go.

1. The quickest and fastest street-legal Supra (w factory 6spd trans) runs 7.1 second passes. By comparison, the VG30 powered ZXs haven't broken into 8s yet."

The fastest supra 6 speed does 8.6 not 7.1 while the VG does 9 and Rb does 8, your facts are wrong

"2. The quickest Supra in the world runs a 6.5 second pass. The quickest Nissan in the world though, isn't even powered by a VG30, using a VQ35 instead (is slower than the 2JZ though). This shows the robustness of the 2JZ when it comes outright power."

The highest speed land record is actually a Z, it did 419 km/h on the Bonnevile Speed Trial, the VG was built by JUN, japan and the record is still unbroken, looks like the VG is pretty robust. Also the the VG has way more aftermarket support and options than the 2jz.

"3. Nissan has never, ever raced the VG30 competitively. The RB26 by comparison was built for racing, and they even used the VQ30 in the GT500 R34s, but not the VG30. Its was the choice of Nissan factory- so they knew that the VG didn't have the potential from the word go."

Wrong, actually Nissan's most successful sports cars were powered by the VG, such as the three time IMSA GT Champ NPT-90 and the GTP-ZXT

4. The reason the VG cannot make as much power as the 2JZ or the RB26 is the head- which flows much lesser CFM even when built all-out. Basically, the motor wasn't built for high revs and big turbos but for mid-sized turbos and lower end grunt. In the Nissan camp, the RB was designed ground up for higher rpm usage. They obviously knew better than to manufacture two flagship motors with similar performance.

5. Powerwise, even on the streets, tons of 2JZs are hitting 1200rwhp+ all day long while there are like <5 VG30s pushing barely 1000. The rest of 'em are trailered to the track.


Whats the point of just numbers? when it was proven that Z's beat Supras very often on the track, the fastest Z HAS destroyed the fastest Supra - Titan Motorsports Vs Escort Engine.

"6. It is a widely-know fact that the Z32s are a bi*** to work on- the engine is jammed in the bay, one can barely see anything under the plenum and not to mention the 'famed' VTC system not functioning as intended up now and then. This comes from a tuner who has had the painful experience of maintaining a Z32 in India. Its a widely know joke that the easy way to replace the water pump on the VG30 is to unbolt the engine mounts and jack it up. "

Everyone that cries about Z's being hard to work on are just whining, yeah they are not the easiest but they arent that bad, all you have to do to replace the waterpump is to remove the radiator, fan shroud, cam covers and there you go, less than one hour. if your friend finds it hard to work on the Z, I can gladly take it off his hands, PM me ( I am serious). You know what else you can do on the VG v6? change the injectors without removing the plenum!!! The VTC system is not really an issue, I have not had any issues on any of the Z's I have owned, some of them have a mild lifter tick, but easily fixable.

"Enough said. I think these points should suffice to "back up my claims"."


Not quite !!!

"P.S. The VG will only have the advantage in handling (in the same chassis) because its a V6 and hence it will be lower and shorter than a straight-six, lowering the CG and aiding weight distribution. "

Actually I have driven both cars and even supra fans will agree that Z's handle way better than the supra, and not to mention the Gammon India type interior build quality of the Supra. Also the Z has 4 wheel steering namely the HICAS, which works great and does wonders for handling.

Your comments stating that "A supra is a supra, period, nothing else comes close" actually makes no sense, the truth is the z, supra, rx7 and gto are all great cars and run very very close to each other. All cars have fan followings and it will never be established what car is the best. Quotes such as yours are not only ignorant but also reek of ineptitude, all of this coming from a guy who has owned neither and probably has driven both cars maybe a handful of times. Your views are probably based on what someone "told" you or what you read somewhere. At the end of the day first hand exposure counts, its like me commenting extensively about the freedom fight, I was not there and have no first hand experience. I personally have nothing against you nor do I mean to offend you with my post. All I am saying is don't say things when you don't know enough.


"The ZX is just a ZX when no one is around."

True!!

I think its best if we get back on topic, or this can go on and on and inconvenience other members. If you would like to debate further feel free to PM or email me.

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 28th July 2009 at 13:59.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 14:54   #118
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
The fastest supra 6 speed does 8.6 not 7.1 while the VG does 9 and Rb does 8, your facts are wrong
Sorry for the typo, I meant to say 7.91 not 7.1, either way its quicker than the VGs. Keep RB out of the equation even though its slower than the 2JZ.

The 8.6 Supra you are talking about is Ryan Woon's WOTM Supra, which though is the most popular and one of the quickest street-legal Supra in the world, is still not THE quickest. The quickest street Supra is built by SW Boostlogic, here's a vid of the 7.91 pass.



Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
The highest speed land record is actually a Z, it did 419 km/h on the Bonnevile Speed Trial, the VG was built by JUN, japan and the record is still unbroken, looks like the VG is pretty robust.
I was talking about the quarter mile, not salt flat racing where just outright power is of far less importance. For example, an RSX with a puny 2.0 litre supercharged engine was able to clock ~370kmph before spinning out. Like I said, VGs aren't even in the six second range yet when it comes to 1/4 mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Also the the VG has way more aftermarket support and options than the 2jz.
Care to expand that statement?? All the aftermarket support in the world means nothing if you can't go faster than a competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Wrong, actually Nissan's most successful sports cars were powered by the VG, such as the three time IMSA GT Champ NPT-90 and the GTP-ZXT
Both the race cars you have mentioned were raced in the IMSA GT championship- which incidently is run only in the United States and Canada. Guess what? The RB26 was never sold stateside, and Nissan wanted to market the ZX through racing (which was introduced in the USDM around that time) so this was the only choice they had. I'm sure they would've picked up the VQ over the VG had it been around then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Also the Z has 4 wheel steering namely the HICAS, which works great and does wonders for handling.
I'm sure you would be aware of the fact that no ZX or Skyline for that matter is raced with HICAS. It may do 'wonders' for on-road manners at sane speeds but actually is a handicap at higher speeds and getting rid of the additional bulk is actually welcome by enthusiasts. Why do you think Nissan chucked it on the R35 if it was working 'wonders'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Quotes such as yours are not only ignorant but also reek of ineptitude, all of this coming from a guy who has owned neither and probably has driven both cars maybe a handful of times. Your views are probably based on what someone "told" you or what you read somewhere. At the end of the day first hand exposure counts.
Watch your words mate, they may count as a personal attack. You do not know me personally and neither do I- but just because you have owned a handful of Zs in the States doesn't make you a know-it-all expert, nor does it changed facts. The Supra is placed on a pedestal for a reason, and it sure isn't the F&F. First hand exposure does count but it also carries a loophole of being biased towards something you own. If I own nothing- I have a chance to look at things in a completely neutral way, something which can't be said about you.

Looks like you've owned a NA Z32 as well- which goes a long way to show your obsession towards it, no one looking for a performance car get a NA Z32 and make it 'look' like a fast car. Same goes for Supras as well, I've seen many people buy a NA Supra just to own something with the Supra nameplate. Well, it happens all the time and there's nothing wrong showing favourtism towards one particular brand but something is definitely wrong when you try to prove what you own is the best without any supporting evidence.

No offence, but your posts sound like that you got the ZX only because you couldn't get hold of a Supra. It may not be the case, but your statements sure point in this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I think its best if we get back on topic, or this can go on and on and inconvenience other members. If you would like to debate further feel free to PM or email me.
Sure thing. This is my last post on the topic. Peace.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:18   #119
BHPian
 
spawnofsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los angeles/Mumbai
Posts: 707
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post

No offence, but your posts sound like that you got the ZX only because you couldn't get hold of a Supra. It may not be the case, but your statements sure point in this direction.



Sure thing. This is my last post on the topic. Peace.
The NA was my first Z, I was not a Z enthusiast then, that car is what made me a Z fan.

I was in LA where Supras are abundant, do you really think I couldnt get a Supra if I wanted to? Please.

Even if you are not a Z or a Supra owner, if you don't have extensive exposure to both you can't really be commenting, Period. Your "facts" have been copy and pasted from several forums, including the style of writing and slang used, your post sounded very different from your other posts in other threads. You are basically copying and pasting just to prove your point. That is why you had a very convenient "typo". This is my last post too, I am done lets keep this thread about GTO's and 3000gt's.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:40   #120
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Thumbs down

This is ridiculous. Lets take this to PM.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Quest to Build the Ultimate 2nd gen Mitsubishi 3000GT (& Hello from the USA) Markingtime The International Automotive Scene 6 4th May 2013 16:37
Project Autopsyche Mitsubishi 3000GT autopsyche Modifications & Accessories 388 27th December 2008 20:29
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 400bhp Monster! autopsyche Super-Cars & Imports in India 65 23rd October 2007 05:13
1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SR autopsyche Modifications & Accessories 77 11th September 2007 22:02
Autopsyche's Mitsubishi 3000GT ICE... gunbir In-Car Entertainment 50 11th April 2007 18:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks