Team-BHP - Loading a heavy vintage car onto a truck
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   Loading a heavy vintage car onto a truck (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/24582-loading-heavy-vintage-car-onto-truck.html)

I am considering transporting a very heavy (2 - 3 ton) vintage car. To this end the car will need to be put onto a truck of appropriate size. Getting the truck should be easy enough, but I think getting it onto the truck will be very difficult.

I think the only possible option is getting a pair of planks and pushing/pulling the car up onto the truck.

Getting the car onto the truck is half the battle, it will need to be brought back down again as well.

There are obvious concerns about the planks snapping, etc.

The car is need of complete restoration and is not working, there is no engine power to rely on.

If anyone has had any experience of doing this or can recommend who to speak to, I would be grateful for the information.

My thanks.

The options you have is the crane or use ramp and push the car...it needs lots of people as the car is bit heavier.
The ramp is normally like the one you can see in Indian workshops. or if the car is in your land dig a sloping trench as to get the truck to the ground level then a little push will be enough......just an idea.

Where is the car buddy? If its in ndia then the only way is to use the truck towing kind of truck as they have abroad. i.e. the mechanical floor board. But this is only available in Bombay as i know it. Maybe in the other metros. If abroad, then there should be no problem as they have these kind of vans/trucks available. You can see these vans being used to tow cars by the cops abroad. I've also done the age old way of pushing the car up and down (just make sure the brakes work tough). it might take a lot of people but thats the only way.

Why dont you get a movign company to do it for you. It might be a little more expensive but will really save you a lot of hassle.

Once my car went dead thanks to a squirrel. The car had to be towed to the dealer to get it fixed and cleaned up. It was transported using a flat bed truck. The truck driver single handedly mounted the car on the flat bed without using the car's power (the belt was off).

It was like this:

The flat bed slides down from the truck like in the image. Then using the truck's motorized winch, the car is pulled into the slanted bed. Once the car is secured using multiple chains, the whole flat bed is pulled up back onto the truck. The truck driver didn't need any help, it was a single man operation.

If you have something like this available, it will be very easy.

The same kind of truck (in samurai's post) is there in Mumbai too. Have seen it quite a few times transporting vintage cars in south Mumbai.

Drifter

Check this link on how a Phantom was loaded onto a truck and taken from Mumbai to Jodhpur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...hantom-11.html

hey these type of trucks are available with wiaa at churchgate
i have seen lots of cars(vintage and exoctic) get towed by it.
btw pm me if u want the no...........

Thanks to all of you and your helpful replies. The car is in India at the moment and needs to be transported to Bombay, a distance of about 190km.

The truck transporting the RR would be perfect. I would be grateful if the members concerned would PM me the details. I have tried to use the PM but seem to be getting error messages at the moment. Will try again.

Be grateful for the contact details if anyone has them. If you can post them online go ahead, otherwise please feel free to PM me.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advocatus (Post 454101)
Thanks to all of you and your helpful replies. The car is in India at the moment and needs to be transported to Bombay, a distance of about 190km.

The truck transporting the RR would be perfect. I would be grateful if the members concerned would PM me the details. I have tried to use the PM but seem to be getting error messages at the moment. Will try again.

Be grateful for the contact details if anyone has them. If you can post them online go ahead, otherwise please feel free to PM me.
Thanks.

I have the no. of the WIAA truck.. have used it quiet a few times to ferry RR's.. very reliable guy.. lemme know if u want the no..