Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Old 10th June 2007, 19:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default SL280 in chennai..

ok - am not too familiar with classics..so not sure whether this is indeed a classic in the strict sense...anyway it looked good ..so thot of posting the pics...

found this at the garage where i got my free flow done for my OHC1.5 recently ( will be posting details of the installation on a separate threat...just getting the pics ready.. )..

quite a lof of imported cars were found in this garage...

this particular specimen the SL280 had a fairly good paint finish and body work had no noticeable rusts... its a 2 seater with a tiny rear bench..dunno wat purpose bcos u need family members with really puny legs to fit in there...

interiors looked pretty neat - guess it has been maintained well...

enjoy the pics..

notice the Lexus in the background - i think it was a GS500/600 ? pretty huge and bulbous...a bit bigger than an Eclass but looked drop dead ugly

narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 19:47   #2
BHPian

Superbly maintained! Is it by any chance repainted? I mean just look at the the way she's shining, I dont think the original colour would last all these years. And whats that next to the Lexus, is it a LC??
NeedaUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 20:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

ya it was a LC..good observation..i still cant see it clearly but since i took the foto i know there was a LC standing there
Old 10th June 2007, 21:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did you see them at electra ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 22:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lexus is a GS300/GS430, second gen. Possibly even a Toyota Aristo, judging by how some Indians change the badging on these jap imports. Keep it real, hommey.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2007 at 09:35. Reason: "those indians" changed to "Some Indians". Users reported this as racist. Thanks
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 22:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Going by the badging...GS300 with good chrome alloys.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 11:39   #7
BHPian

shes a beauty and very well kept..however looks repainted?or has she seen a few summers and parked in the garage most of the time?
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 12:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did you see them at electra ?
no - was seen at motor images
Old 13th June 2007, 17:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

The 280SL my friend's car...its his garage too...hes having lot of other classics too...And the GS300 mentioned is also his, which is a sports version with 17" alloys etc...he was in Calicut last day...
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 18:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good looking and well kept classic, the SL. The 280 came with an in line six with automatic transmission as an option. This was the starting level SL.
Aristo/GS300, all the same, as in Cygnus/LX470, o rthe LS400/Celsior. These names are basically for different markets. The Aristo is what its called in Japan and in the UK its called the Lexus GS300. The Japanese versions come with Jap specs which at times are higher than UK spec cars. The engine is the same usually and the cmfort levels and a thing or two maybe, the grille os some emblems are changed. Under the skin they all are the same.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 18:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Good looking and well kept classic, the SL. The 280 came with an in line six with automatic transmission as an option. This was the starting level SL.
Aristo/GS300, all the same, as in Cygnus/LX470, o rthe LS400/Celsior. These names are basically for different markets. The Aristo is what its called in Japan and in the UK its called the Lexus GS300. The Japanese versions come with Jap specs which at times are higher than UK spec cars. The engine is the same usually and the cmfort levels and a thing or two maybe, the grille os some emblems are changed. Under the skin they all are the same.
Price. You forget the price difference. Hence the rebadging, which is a possiblity
Old 13th June 2007, 18:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
Price. You forget the price difference. Hence the rebadging, which is a possiblity
Actually the rebadging is done in India moreover because of the customers awareness or rather lack of it. If someone wants a LX470 Lexus, try telling him that its the same as a Cygnus. Even during resale, itll be really difficult to sell. Hence the rebadging in India. These guys dont even bother to check under the hood or even never wonder as to why the instructions on the little stickers that inform you of the correct tyre pressure to be maintained or on the buttons on the dash, instructions on the sun visor regarding the airbags or even on the command system appear in Japanese as opposed to English.
Thats because its a Jap spec Cygnus and not a UK spec LX470. These little things tell you what the car actually is. The dealers try hard to change these but they cannot change everything. And yes as you made a valid point, the Cygnus from Japan might be available much cheaper than a LX from UK, hence the Cygnus import, rebadged as a Lexus.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 02:44   #13
BHPian

the lexus is a GS 430 or 300, there is no 500 or 600 model.
abdul 65 amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 03:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Actually the rebadging is done in India moreover because of the customers awareness or rather lack of it. If someone wants a LX470 Lexus, try telling him that its the same as a Cygnus. Even during resale, itll be really difficult to sell. Hence the rebadging in India. These guys dont even bother to check under the hood or even never wonder as to why the instructions on the little stickers that inform you of the correct tyre pressure to be maintained or on the buttons on the dash, instructions on the sun visor regarding the airbags or even on the command system appear in Japanese as opposed to English.
Thats because its a Jap spec Cygnus and not a UK spec LX470. These little things tell you what the car actually is. The dealers try hard to change these but they cannot change everything. And yes as you made a valid point, the Cygnus from Japan might be available much cheaper than a LX from UK, hence the Cygnus import, rebadged as a Lexus.
Spot on, indeed, I had heard this and believed it to be an urban legend, although highely likely. I sat once in my friend's cousin's 'LEXUS LS400', which looked very much the part from the outside, and often boasted about. I sat inside, only to be amazed at the Japanese text printed on the buttons, and obviously, the Toyota marque on the steering wheel. I smirked, but felt it wrong to simply blurt out the fact that it was no point telling me this is a Lexus, but indeed a rebadged Celsior, but decided otherwise...after all, I was getting a rather comfortable ride.
Old 14th June 2007, 03:32   #15

LOL thas a LX470 n GS300/430...not LC...
prashanth2401 is offline   Reply With Quote